bike stalled/died when i put it into 1st gear??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hey there. well i went for a bit of a ride today. changed my oil filters, cleaned my oil screens and topped up the oil level the day before. anyway, went riding today, let the bike warm up for about 3 minutes and as soon as i went to put it into 1st gear and take off, it died. re-started it with the elec start button and died again when i put it back into 1st. re-started it once again, revved it a bit while in neutral and was fine after that...even once i turned it off and had a rest for 15 minutes, it didn't do it at all.
Bike is a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model for those that don't know.

im wondering what could be the cause of this?
its had a new top and bottom end done 2 rides ago, oil filters changed and had a full service done and clutch plates and gearbox checked. Also, the stator and whole cooling system was replaced when it had the rebuild done too. Jetting is all set to stock as per the service manual including the mixture screw.

i should note that it was quite cold and raining today where i am. i think it was about 8 degrees calcius and raining....could it be that the bike was too cold??
even after the ride, the engine wasn't burning hot, was still able to touch it without burning myself...
just thought id ask and make sure it's not a bigger issue.

May 14, 2013
Hey man this may not be ur case but I have seen people run to thick of oil in there bikes such as gear oil the meatals would stick to the fibers then when the oil gets warm it thins witch lets it perform correctly. I would drain oil take clutches out clean them off and put the recommended oil in it non synthetic.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
What oil (viscosity) did you use? Clutch baskets tend to get notched as a bike gets older from many, many hits from the tines on the plates. If a lighter weight oil does not solve the problem, you'll need to service the clutch pack. BTW, if it did not do this before the oil change, definitely use a lighter weight oil.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom