surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
just bought my first dirt bike, 2003 xr 250, and love it. what brand and where can i get the best deal on a stand. do i just get one that lifts the rear by attaching to the sing arm? i have a floor jack for my car. should i just cut a piece of plywood and use it. if so what dimensions on the board to fit under the xr 250 .

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Check out the Soft Drop bike stand, I got one last week and it works great. It easily lifts my KTM 450EXC. I can sit on the bike and program my enduro computor, it is very stable. You can get them from your local dealer or order online. http://www.trmusa.com/products.htm#bikestand

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
thanks dave, that looks like a great stand. will it fit a xr250. it's a little expensive, i see alot out there for around $90. i believe in buying the best i can afford, but it there's a cheaper one that's is just as good that obviously would be better. what do you say.

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Email or call Bob at Thompson manufacturing. He has another lift stand that is very similar but without all the features of the soft drop. It is not as expensive and it is not shown on the webpage.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I use a 5 gallon water delivery box that local water companies use.I paid the guy 5.00 bucks for it and put a plywood top with rubber on it.MSr sells the same thing for 20.00

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Every year I swear I'm gonna buy one of those portable stands that raise the bike up by stepping down on a foot pedal.
In 1982???, I took 2 milk crates, cut one about in half, and hosed clamped then together.
They've held ALL my bikes over the years, my 2 sons use it now too. I use it as a spacer, (butt the front wheel against it), when I load our 3 bikes on the trailer, (my bike sits in the middle, back so the handle bars are over the 2 end bike's seat).
Make a long story short, MAKE ONE. a wooden one with a drawer is cool, a piece od rubber matting on top keeps the bike in place.
My floor jack was never that stable no matter what I've tried to put on the lifting pad.
I've rebuilt many bikes on mine, used it for 50 million other things when not holding our bikes up, it light weight, best park, it cost like $1.00 for 4 hose clamps.
Just my 2 cents.
Joe
I was fast when the world was younger and slower. Now I old and slow, but can smile and still have fun! :)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I've a XR 250. I was using my floor jack. I a piece of 1/2 plywood 12 x12.

Underneath nail / screw 4 wood cleats that will surround the plate on the jack.

Worked great, but it became a hassle to get the jack positioned, then the arm is always in the way.

I ended up making one that is a copy of the old style bike stands.

Top Bottom