kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
300 lbs?

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
If you don't trust plastic, you can still use a 5 gallon bucket, just use a metal one. Like a tar bucket. Or try and find a metal milk crate.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The Rubbermaid thing is marked "Maximum load 300 pounds".

My KDX is around 240 all fueled up, and my 180 pounds can it on it on the stand no problem. Like I said, I've had the same one for about 10 years now. The only downside to it is the top is kind of slick, but riviting a piece of rubber on could fix that.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
pidro_el_pirata said:
Really? I dunno, I just cant imagine that little thing doing that kind of lifting. I mean my WR is 300 pounds and we're talking about resting all of that on a single square foot of plastic... i just dont believe it.

I think the Rubbermaid step will hold up your thumper just fine. If you don't like it, you are only out $10 or so, and you can use it for its original purpose as a step stool.

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
i dont think the store bought ones are to exspenisve, considering what they are holding up. i weld so i was going to make my own. that is untill i priced aluminum, then factored in my labor. went down to the local bike shop (RTD springfield,il) and picked one up for $50.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
You factored in your own labor price? You going to pay yourself when its done? :p

I'm building a foot lift right now in my metal shop. I'm using the plans from JustKDX.com (which I must say are leaving MUCH to be desired). This wouldn't be good for the topic starting because I have had to mill, grind, punch (as in drill) and weld it all together. Its going to be one beefy stand but it'll stand the test of time. I've spent about 2 days on it and it's going to cost me about $20 to build. I'll get some pictures when it's done, it'll be sweet!

agressive1

Jan 23, 2007
I have made one out of chip board wood. Its got 4 sides and a top base for the chassis to sit on.

I sprayed paint it blue and wrote yamaha on it.

Works a treat

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
thebleakness said:
You factored in your own labor price?

When you work for a living, you always factor in your own labor prices when you do things like this...

If I build a stand, it will probably cut into the time that I could be working. I have to get paid for that time, so it get's factored into the cost of things..

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I will never use a plastic stand for my bike. A few years ago I was using a 5 gallon bucket that collapsed because the sun was shining on it, letting my bike topple over into my parents' truck. That was an expensive lesson.

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
thebleakness said:
You factored in your own labor price? You going to pay yourself when its done? :p

I'm building a foot lift right now in my metal shop. I'm using the plans from JustKDX.com (which I must say are leaving MUCH to be desired). This wouldn't be good for the topic starting because I have had to mill, grind, punch (as in drill) and weld it all together. Its going to be one beefy stand but it'll stand the test of time. I've spent about 2 days on it and it's going to cost me about $20 to build. I'll get some pictures when it's done, it'll be sweet!
$20? you must be using steel. who wants to throw that hog in the back of the truck?

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Yep, all steel. Doesnt really matter though because I dont really plan on carrying this thing around, all though its not as heavy as you would imagine. I'm building this thing for my garage so that I can work on it and have it be really stable. For everything else I use an older milk crate. Perfect height and weighs nothing.

Nov 28, 2006
agressive1 said:
I have made one out of chip board wood. Its got 4 sides and a top base for the chassis to sit on.

I sprayed paint it blue and wrote yamaha on it.

Works a treat

How'd you hold the pieces together? Nail gun?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
pidro_el_pirata said:
How'd you hold the pieces together? Nail gun?

I would suggest wood screws, rather than nails, as they are less prone to backing out. Having your stand spontaneously disassemble and dump your bike on the ground would really suck.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Motosports outlet has a bike crate that is tall enough to put full size bikes on for $20.00.

AnastasiaSub

Feb 17, 2022
So I built this extravagant foot lift. I cant weld so I made it out of steel piping (galvanized steel) because then I could just use loosely threaded joints for the pivot points, which I did.

I tried it out and it lifted the bike great, but it swayed a bit to the side and snapped cause it's not very wide, and understandably top heavy.

Oh well.

Hey so do those plastic milk crates hold up well? I have a 300 lb WR250 and i dont want to risk having it smash through the crate lol
Hello.. I’m super need to this forum and the MotoX BMX ATV scene. I’m a mother of boys and they are totally into it. My son asked me to build him a Foot lift bike stand.. n I am clueless so you wouldn’t happen to have plans for this “extravagant foot lift” your talking about .. would you?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
In the "Similar Topics" section below you should see a post "Building a Motorcycle Foot Lift".
Here is the link: How-To - Building A Motorcycle Foot Lift

That being said, it may cost nearly as much in materials as it would cost to buy one. If $$ are the issue, I'd suggest just a standard stand (that doesn't lift). 99% of us have never used/needed anything else.

This will work just fine ($55):

05KX_250

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2006
This is proof that old threads are still useful. Good info is always useful. I've been looking for something to build out of steel I may give this a shot to practice fab skills.

Top Bottom