Lewis

Dec 18, 2007
my bike starts then sounds like its loosing power even with throttle right back then starts loosing power and noise then cuts out. Is this the spark plug?

Is it easy to change the spark plug - were is it on the bike. thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Wouldn't hurt to mention what make, model and year your bike is.

The plug is in the top of the head on all bikes, but as for how easy it is to get to, that depends on what you have.

My CR125 is simple to get to. Can change the plug in 2 minutes. My CRF450 is a complete pain in the a$$ to get changed. Have to take the seat & tank off to get to it!

For future reference, you will get much better responses if you include quite a bit more details in your questions.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Lewis said:
its an rm-125 1999model, how do you clean a carb and what part is the carb?

Hmmm... with Carb cleaner.

I'd suggest either get a service manual, if you are mechanically inclined or take it to a shop.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Lewis: In addition to a repair manual, you may want to find a mentor -- someone to help you a bit and show you how the engine works and how to do minor repairs. Even if you have to pay a mechanic and he lets you watch what he does a time or two, it might be money well spent.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
+1 for 2stroker's and indy's posts.
It will help you immensely to get a service manual, most manuals will walk you through many of the common repair/maintenance situations you will come across.
As to finding a mentor, Once they've shown you what everything is see if they will just watch over your shoulder and offer pointers while you do the actual wrenching. Get your hands dirty, don't just watch someone who already knows how to do it. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strokerfun said:
Even if you have to pay a mechanic and he lets you watch what he does a time or two, it might be money well spent.

Shop Labor Rates.

Regular rate. $ 60.00 per hour.

If you watch. $ 70.00 per hour. :ohmy:

If you ask questions. $ 80.00 per hour. :whoa:

If you help. $ 100.00 per hour. :yikes:

Just kiddin' Lewis. :laugh:

Good advice from 2stroker and also from Indy and PK.

Get a good service manual and read it from cover to cover. I'm not talking about the riders manual but, a complete service manual. They have a wealth of information inside and when you are done reading it, read it again.

Finding a mentor or a friend that knows about bikes is an excellent idea. They can explain things to you that you may find confusing in the manual.

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom