MX Girl

Jun 11, 1999
Trails are popping up everywhere where I live and I have decided to sell my laptop for a dirtbike! Last time I have rode was 1996 on an XR100 on trails.

I am 21 years old, 5'2" and 105 lbs so nothing real heavy...primary use will be trails and maybe small mx jumps. I would like to get "women rider opinions" about the XR200 and TTR-125L and any other 4-strokes out there that I may want to consider.

Email me at erica413@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Erica

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
The main reason the 225 suffers from a weight problem is that it has an electric start, and batteries aren't light. I can't say anything on the 125, but I did have an XR200. They haven't changed the design in years. It is fairly heary, and can be tough to start after tipping it over. If you're thinking about an XR200, you might as well get a KDX200. About the same weight, but the KDX has better suspension and starts easier. I've heard nothing but good things about the TTR125. Get the "L" version- it is a bit bigger but has a disc front brake. You should be just the right size for it.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hello. I have a XR200 and I've been riding for about 3 years but this is the first year I've had my own bike. The XRs are heavy but the power difference is worth it if you're comparing to a xr100. They are snotty to start once you knock them down (secret: open up the throttle and kick all the way through) but all 4-strokes will be to a certain extent. The XR has kind of wimpy suspension but they are such an easy bike to ride, very well suited to trail and thick woods. Problem is if you outgrow it there is very little available in aftermarket parts for them and the gains aren't worth the money. But they do hold their value very well. The KDX are a really good bike from all I've heard but they are very tall when new. I'm 5'7" and can barely touch on a 2001--but you can have it lowered. The TT-R 125Ls are a really good bike. I know a girl who races one. Have fun and happy trails! If you're ever in the northwest let me know!

Oct 3, 2000
I just got my first bike the end of August. A TTR-125L and love it! I have never ridden before. I am 5'4" and about 112 lbs. I almost got a used TTR-225 but it was much heavier and seems like it would be a dog. The TTR-125L has a lot of get up and go for it's size. Everyone (men and women both) who have tried my bike like it. My husband rode my TTR-125L in the harescramble at the SPODEFEST and had a blast! The front disc brakes are a plus and the 125L can be modified as your skills improve (power and suspension). Make sure you get the L. It's only about $100 more than the regular TTR-125. LoriKTM is right the XR200 hasn't changed design in years. I think the TTR-125L was a new bike for Yamaha in 2000? I would highly recommend it.

I have a friend who has never ridden before and she thinks she wants an XR200 because it's bigger. I'm trying to talk her into a TTR-125L too. Bigger is not always better. XR200's also cost more brand new.

If you negotiate you can get one for around $2300.00 brand new.

Good Luck.

------------------
a.k.a. Wendy
a.k.a. Mrs. KelvinKDX
01' TT-R125L (mine)
99' KDX200 (his)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Hey whadda ya mean bigger isn't always better? ;) ;)

From my experience the best way to find out which bike is for you and the riding you do is to try riding the ones you are considering. In fact, try the ones you aren't considering too, that's how I ended up with the CR500. I started out on my KLX300 "you need a fourstroke" the ex boyfriend said. "That bikes too big" the other girls said. But, I liked it & it worked for me.

When my riding improved I wasn't happy with the KLX anymore so on a ride with several other people, I started asking about their bikes & sure enough everyone thought their's was the best & that I needed to try em out to see for myself. I tried the XR200 (too small for me 5'10" & 140), XR400 wasn't any better than my KLX, KX250 was great, if I could keep it on the trail (would be a blast on the track)!! KX500 wasn't a hit with me. Got to the CR500 & I was in love, went out & bought my own & got it set up just like the one I test rode (kept it's owner too :)).

The point to my rambling is your best bet is to ride the different bikes if possible. If not, go to the dealers or private party selling the bikes & sit on them. If you can't actually testride the bike, using the experiences of the people here and others that are familiar with the bikes plus you're impression from sitting on them, starting them, etc. and what you can afford will give you a good chance of finding one suitable for you!

That's how I picked the KLX. Asked for recommendations, tried it out briefly, bought it, rode it and learned that it wasn't what I really wanted. Now, if I could just learn to sell the things I don't want before buying the things I do want, I'd have a lot more room in the shop.

Anyone looking for a 1990DS80, 1998KLX300, 1991 Ford Bronco, 1978 Chevy 4x4, 1996 Polaris Indy Lite?

Good luck with whatever bike you choose & remember, it's all about having a great time!!

[This message has been edited by bbbom (edited 11-07-2000).]

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
bbbom, you suck. Why is it that you are 3 inches taller but only 5 pounds heavier? Life isn't fair.

Motogirl

Dec 2, 1999
I don't know anything about the TTR-125 but an XR 200 can't get out of its own way. I am 2 stroke all the way. I have a 125 and i love it, but then again i am not much of a trail rider, i do mostly MX so an XR 200 may be good for you if you just want to ride trails. Just my opinion

------------------
"A Fact is anything you can get someone else to believe"

[This message has been edited by Motogirl (edited 11-07-2000).]

Oct 3, 2000
bbom is right. The best way to choose a bike to try different ones. The bike shops don't let you try their bikes if you've never ridden before, so you need to network and find people who have bikes you may be interested in. Private sellers will let you try the bike before you buy it. Check out motorcycles under traderonline.com

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
That's the problem, Kalitude, I AM 21 (although the energy thing isn't all accurate...) Part of it is I have a 75% of the time sit-at-the desk job. If I'm lucky I might get to drive somewhere to take pictures. Actually I'm not complaining too much--I'm more jealous of bbbom's height. I wish I were about 5'10" then I could ride the bikes I want rather than tip over just trying to let the clutch out...
And in bbbom's case, having went riding with her, it is NOT all stress. Bbbom, you rule. Are you turkey scrambling? I'm going to try--Becky might be my partner again, I don't know.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'm going to slide around on the used IRC VE-33 that's on there now. You forget, even had I the $ to have lots of tires, my rear is a 17" and NOBODY makes any good tires for 17". Looking into another bike for sure--know anything about Gas Gas and KTM? The EC and XC Gas Gas and E/XC and M/XC look like cool bikes. Anything with more power and handling than mind looks cool right now.

We gonna tear up the MX tracks next year? Maybe I'll get a big open classer too... ha ha. There wouldn't be much crying at my funeral, I'm sure, but it'd cost my family $ There's a stipulation in my life insurance policy--if I'm riding or racing when I die the policy is void!! Believe that?! Especially since, if you have to go, what better way to end things? WFO!

Any way, none of the snow is sticking to the road here in town, although there is some slush and the trees and roofs are white. I doubt it will stick, though. At least I hope not--until AFTER the race!

------------------
Had we but worlds enough, and time . . .

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Yuck Yuck Yuck. What is with this snow anyway. Just won't stop. I was going out to Seven Mile this afternoon to ride after a test this morning. I hope the Turkey course gets torn up enough to provide at least some traction on the 19th. Ironman looks less and less appealling. Oh well, maybe I'll be the only one, unlike last time, when I conceaded trophy size to dirtygirly. ;) Do they make chains for Ninjas? Going to be hard to even load it into the truck to get it home, let alone ride it. Done ranting, thanks.

Dirtygirly

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
ooh, all this praise about the TTR 125L makes me want to go buy one! ;)
Might be tough to part with my '84 XR100, would be kind of like selling your first car. Sentimental value, what am I talking about I would sell my car in a heartbeat for a truck if I could somehow make up the difference. But then again I'm sort of attached to my car too. ;)

I'm excited about the Turkey harescramble, looks like I won't have to be the only girl this time! YEAH! Can't wait to see you all there.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey, I'm another TTR125L short girl here... I LIKE IT!!! I do a lot of trailriding in the foothills here around Denver, in the really high mountain passes between Telluride, Silverton, and Ouray, and in the Utah desert. It's about the most fun a girl can possibly have.

Last summer, I sat at a technical rock ledge called "Devil's Slide" while a guy on a hot two-stroke wrecked again and again trying to make it. When it was my turn, my little TTR pulled me through it on the first try! I really think it was the bike, definitely NOT my skill level that pulled me through it! Also, those two-strokes die a painful death at 12,000 feet, but not my TTR!!! That TTR RULES!!!

I do take it to the track. It's not quite torquie enough to make those big double jumps, but my TTR can catch enough air on the flat tops to make me happy. The magazines all complain about the suspension being too soft, but it seems fine for me. (Maybe magazines should find small short women to write more of those articles!)

Here are things I'm thinking of doing this winter: (1) For really really steep technical trails, I'll probably need to drop a size on my front sprocket. (2) In a magazine, I saw a bore kit to bring the 125 up to a 150cc and a performance muffler and air cleaner. This along with rejetting might be really fun!

My TTR125L Rules; Yeeeehaaaa!!!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Uh, i know this a womens area, but may i make a suggestion?? ;)
I notice most of you are talking about newer machines.
And it seems like shorter statures are a consideration here.
What about an older machine?
My ex started out on a Kia 100 (197?), then went on to a 1973 Honda CL175, then she got hold of my 1982 XL500R! :)
Older bikes have less suspention, thus are lower to the ground.
Yet the power output is still considerable!
Unless you are planning to race, older bikes are a viable alternative!
(ther's always Vintage MX too!) :)
Take care and ride safe!
PS: my ex was 5'2" (in her riding boots) ;)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
It's not JUST a height issue, OnAnySunday, it's also a weight AND suspension issue for us smaller folk. I learned to ride on a 1974 Kaw enduro 175cc two-stroke. It was horrible. I never would have continued riding. Then I tried something newer and lighter with a nice mono-shock. Whahoo! Nirvana!!! Now ya can't get me off my bike!!! :)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
OAS, as a first bike, I had a 1979 DT125. I had a total blast on it, but it was a POS and needed a lot of $$ sunk into it if I wanted to continue riding it (suspension, throttle, etc etc & parts were hard to find).

I also went to a newer bike (99) and you couldn't get me off it (once it was set up more for me).

Whilst old bikes are great to learn on (economical reasons), if you want to be really good on one, I think you're better off with a newer bike - unless it's one of those beautiful classics that has been well maintained (and isn't sacked out) but they're often about the same sort of money as a new bike.

As CJ has said, the benefits of a new bike, suspension, handling etc makes riding that much more enjoyable. Then I think it's up to the person to consider a vintage class bike - I know a lot of people started out on them, but they had no choice, we do now.

I heard women watching OAS saying "wow, look at those bikes, how the heck did they ride them" and had to point out they were the duck's guts in their day.

I hope classics racing continues for many years, that is part of our history and some of the sounds those bikes make, yum (actually old road bikes got me into dirt bikes and I still love old road bikes).

Sorry this is so long, but there's also one last thing to consider - reliability. Not all women are clued up as to what's up with their bikes when something goes wrong and if it breaks down, what then? (especially trail riding). Yes, it happens with newer bikes, but the majority of people I see broken down are old bikes (not always POS bikes either).

I don't regret my DT, I wish it hadn't of been nicked as it would come in handy for friends learning.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I apoligize if i made it sound like women could'nt handle newer bikes.
Far rom it! :)
My ex and i simply had a prefference for older machinery!
True, it began out of economical considerations, but afterwards we realized our riding style (ie: SLOW ;) ) and terrain were more befitting of an older (lower to the ground) machine.
I personnally have developed this fondness for old bikes out of nostalgia.
And just cause theyre old doesnt mean they are unreliable, or slow.
(old Honda's last forever you know! :D )
Example:
Several years ago i entered my '82 XL500R in a dualsport/enduro ride in Pa.
About half way though the ride we came upon a very steep technical climb.
Covered with mossy rocks, and it had rained earlier that day!
All the bikes had a terrible time getting up it, and i didnt think i had much of a chance with "Ol'Flash". :(
But as luck had it the only 2 to make it on the first try was a new KTM400 dualsport, and (yep) me and "Ol'Flash"!
Sorta put a little humility lesson on those brand new bikes!
( "flash" told me to throw that one in! LOL)
The lesson is: Dont cast off an old machine just cause its old. That same bike may come back to haunt (and pass) you some day! :cool:

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
At 6'0" even and a demure 240lbs. I pound countless laps on my TTR125L with the giggle meter pegged. Neighbors don't seem bothered by a cute little bike but frown upon hearing my 426 uncorked. The potential of the 125L is unlimited just check out Brown brothers racing web site. I am one of the few guys that will admit to owning such a "girlie"[not my words] bike. I realize how much fun those bikes are and don't want to miss out on any of the fun. I hope that bigger isn't always better.;] Just your average guy MXN4FUN.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
OAS, I agree, just because it's old, don't write it off.

I too have thought about getting an older machine just because they are gorgeous and slow.

We've got a 1966 Ducati GTS250 sitting in the garage (yes, I know road bike). I will take it for a ride at some stage, but I would hate to drop it. But I don't worry too much about dropping the newer bikes (replacement parts aren't such an issue).

Same goes for off-road - I'd rather get an older bike when/if I become a better rider. (It doesn't matter with a POS old bike, but then the reliability/handling becomes an issue because of lack of maintenance - not always but with our luck it'll be bad).

As for the movie, every time I've watched it I've wanted to go out & get an old bike because it looks like such a hoot but at the moment can't justify the $ (the trials bike is next). ;)
M

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom