Bike suggestions for family of newbies

eightylbs

Mar 23, 2007
I am thinking of buying "dirt bikes" for the whole family.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

a) dad = 5'6", 175 lbs
b) mom = 5'2", 135-150 lbs
c) son = (9-yrs-old) 4'3", 60 lbs.
d) daughter = (12-yrs-old) 5"0", 110-120 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

We are a bunch of weaklings/wimps. I doubt any of us will ride very aggressively, at least for a while. My 9-year-old son is the wild man of the family.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

We live in Louisiana and the only place I know of to ride is the Bonne Carre Spillway (an area for overflow of the Mississippi River) which is basically an endless network of mostly flat dirt trails (no trees), although there are some hills (jumps). A salesman at a local store said there are places to ride on public land in a wooded (forest) setting not too far from the house.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

None of us have ever been on any kind of motorcycle in our whole life.

5) Do you think you will race ?

We have no plans to race.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

I am not mechanically inclined. I will not be working on the bikes. They will go back to the dealer for service. A low-maintenance, reliable product is my #1 criteria.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

I have no brand preference, while I would think that I prefer 4-stroke over 2-stroke, but feel free to tell me what each offers in the dirt bike world.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Yes, there are many dealers and some of them carry all brands in one location.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?

I will be buying brand new whatever it is that is the best fit for the riders. Whatever that cost is what we will spend.

10) Do you live in California?

No

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

nope!!

Also, please give me the whole 9 yards with your suggestions because I don't have all the letters and number memorized yet, so if a Yamaha 50 is the right bike for my 9-yr-old say: "I suggest the Yamaha PW50 for the little guy" and state the reasons why.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Everyone has different opinions so take this with a grain of salt...

Don't get a bigger bike with the intention of someone "growing into it". Get them a bike they can sit on comfortably flat-footed; that will build confidence and inspire them to want to ride. I suggest you get 4-stroke dirtbikes as their power delivery is generally more linear and therefore better suited to beginning riders. Something from Honda's CRF-F (newer) or XR (older) series, or Yamaha's TTR lineup would be good choices. You might want to think about used bikes; that way, if someone in your family doesn't care for it, you won't be out as much money.

I would take the family to a dealership and have them sit on bikes to gage the seat height required for confidence, and go from there.

You're lucky, I can't get my wife on a dirtbike for anything! My kids, on the other hand, don't want to get off of their dirtbikes.

Good luck and have fun!

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
My whole family rides too. My nieces and nephews ride with us also. I have eight Hondas, a Yamaha, and a Kawasaki. I love the Hondas they have a size in their CRF line up to fit everyone: 50, 70, 80, 100, 150, 230 all four stroke play bikes. Tough low maintenace bikes. The last bike I bought, for my 13 year old daughter, was a Yamaha TTR 125. It has electric start. Not all the Hondas have electric start but the Yamahas do. I will not buy another play bike without electric start. That the best advice I can give you for family fun. (I can't count the number of time i've heard "Dad/Uncle Bill come start my bike") The Japanese bikes are all good. Find a set of bikes that fit, get good gear, push button start and ride.

Jan 3, 2007
If you want to save money on your bike you could buy a used KDX200 or 220. The wife would be good with a 80-85cc 2 stroke or a 150 4 stroke like the Honda CRF150F not R. The daughter could have a used XR100 and the boy could have a 65cc 2 stroke or another XR100. This is only my opinion but there are lots of good used bikes out there that will get the job done. Good luck.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Have you checked out the dirtbike school?

There are schools set up over most all of the country and are certified by the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) .

They start with beginner classes for the whole family... even have a "let the girls ride" day whereupon only the ladies are allowed in the class. :cool:

The cool thing about this set up is: They provide the bikes (all sizes) as well as the protective gear ie: jerseys, pants, boots, helmets etc. (you can try a variety of bikes and see if anyone of them gets your juices flowing) :nod:

Run a google on dirtbikeschool.com

My 10 year old rides a Honda crf 70f . This is a good starter bike will a low saddle (he can flat foot sitting or standing) The lack of clutch lowers the performance...but it also lowers the "stall rate" and I am finding that I don't have to get off my bike to start his much anymore. :ride:

Good luck, but be warned.... Dirt bikes may cause you to spend quality time with your family! [that phrase was borrowed by a much deeper thinker on this board than I]

Ken

p.s. I don't work for or own stock in MSF Dirtbike School...but, I did stay in a Holiday inn once. :laugh:

skyhigh230

Mar 21, 2007
first off i want to say you are gonna have fun-alot and eventually your gonna want to race everyone does when they get better its natural to
ok im gonna give my estimate on the bikes everyone needs
Dad-i would suggest a honda CRF250F or the XR250 the CRF250F is elc start and
hassel free and has got alot of power for trails and is speedy it will run about 65-70 tops but its a bike that would suit you.
Mom-something alittle less powerful but yet a great bike: the Honda CRF230F samething but a tiny bit less power
Son- a great bike i would suggest that he get and that my 9yr old brother is the Kawasaki KLX110 its a pit bike and has a great suspention its totally customizable you can add a gear to it it comes with an engine cover and is and overall great bike with power and speed plus a clutch is optional
Daughter- im suggesting the the Suzuki DR-Z 125 dont get it confused with the DR-Z 125L thats the 2 stoke. she wants the 4 stroke
all of the family should start with 4 strokes because if you got 2 strokes you all would be out of control and be crashing all over it is a little too much kick for beginner family you will all eventually upgrade to 2 strokes over time
my next tip is start eating healthy(if you already are thats good) no more junk food and you should exercise some too to get in shape(if you are not all ready)
and finally you should close the whole deal off with an enclosed trailer probly a 12X8 or something close to that to all fit your bikes in it is definatly way more convient to have one: an open trailer is bad because it takes almost 45mins-1 hour to tie all of those bikes down
thats what i can do for you and dont always listen to the dealers if they suggest 2 strokes or bigger bikes they just want your money- good luck and happy hunting
-Josh Lurz
PS- i also suggest that you shouldnt buy all new bikes used ones are ok too make sure if its a used that its bought from the owner and he was the only owner you can get ripped off on some of the used bikes at dealerships

eightylbs

Mar 23, 2007
Thanks everyone. That's a lot of good ideas. I'm beginning to soak it all in.

I spent a an hour at one of the dealers that carries all the brands. He was pushing the Honda CR-???-F trail bikes pretty hard. They didn't have much selection for Suzuki (said he couldn't compete on price) and was a little low in stock on the smaller bikes from Yamaha. They had the Kawasaki KLX110 and a bunch of the 2-strokes. We are leaning toward that or the CR70F for both of the kids, but are a little undecided on the adult bikes.

Would the 85 2-strokes be bad for me?

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
An 85 2 stroke for you would probably not be a good idea, if you are looking for performance and a low seat hight look into a Honda crf150"r" not "f" , but be careful this bike requires a lot more maintainance than all the other bikes its also a fast bike like the 85 but easier to control the power. BTW let us all know what you get and definetly let us know how the first ride goes.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
An 85cc MX bike for a full grown man is a bit of a stretch. A 100 would be a bit better but still pretty high strung.

I'd take the whole family to a shop and let them sit on the bikes. Your wife being 5'2" won't work well on an adult sized bike. Look at something like a Yammy TT125R.

Get your daughter whatever play bike fits her. A little too big is OK.

Get your son the cheapest thing he'll ride. Chances are he'll outgrow it physically and skill wise in a year or two.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
a) dad = 5'6", 175 lbs

A Honda CRF or Yamaha TTR230 would be a good place to start for you. You wouldnt want anything too high strung, because I'm assuming that you'll be riding with your family and you will have to keep it slow at first. Older equivalents to these bikes (older as is cannot be bought brand new anymore more) are the Honda XR250, and maybe a Kawasaki KDX200. The KDX is a two-stroke, but it is made for tight trails and can be ridden slowly if desired. It doesn't have quite the two-stroke "hit". Also from Kawasaki is the KLX250 and KLX300. Both mild mannered four strokes. Suzuki also has the DRZ250.

b) mom = 5'2", 135-150 lbs

I would say a Yamaha TTR125, Suzuki DRZ125, Kawasaki KLX125 or maybe a Honda CRF150. She'll have to sit on a few and see what she feels the most comfortable.

c) son = (9-yrs-old) 4'3", 60 lbs.

If your son seems real aggressive, he may get bored with most of the milder four stroke play bikes. I don't know exact sizes on the smaller bikes, but I would check out the Yamaha PW80, Kawasaki KDX80, and Suzuki DS80. The Kawasaki and Suzuki bikes may no longer be in production, I'm not sure, but they are trail oriented two strokes, which mean a little more power and a little less wieght. I'm also going to suggest the KTM Adventure line up of bikes, most likely the SR. Two-stroke power, but not light switch power. I've heard great things about the Husqvarna bikes for the little ones also. If you want to get him a four stroke, you can, but theres a good chance that he will outgrow it quickly if he's a little "wild man". Lol. I would try to look for smaller trail-freindly two-stroke for him. You'd be surprised how fast they learn, and I can bet the next step for him would most likely be a Kawasaki KX65, but right now thats a huge step for learning on. Kawasaki also makes a KX60, but I think they are just like the 65 motocross bikes power-wise. Keep in mind that two-strokes require a little more than just "gas n go", but nothing too serious or meticulous.

d) daughter = (12-yrs-old) 5"0", 110-120 lbs

I would try a Honda CRF100 or XR100 (the XR is just the older version) for her.

I'm going to be honest and tell you that I am just restating what I have read on here, I don't have kids, and I'm not an expert on the sizes. Like I said before, you'll have to get them all on bikes and see what feels comfortable. Somewhere between flat-footed and tippy toes is good. A great confidence builder is being able to touch the ground. The only worry that is really present is the fact that your boy is aggressive. Its going to make for some quick hard learning and while you'll end up getting him another bike sooner than you'd probably think, be sure that he can completely handle what you get him for his first bike. See the link below for more advice on your wife. I would also try to see what's availible used locally. That way you won't be out too much on the bikes, and can use the promise of better ones to help encourage them to keep trying their best. Remember to budget in for gear too. Some things can be buoght used, but get them helmets, boots, and goggles at the very minimum. Keepin 'em safe is the key to keepin 'em happy. Dress them for the crash, not the ride.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=99796
^ A great thread about choices for the females.

eightylbs

Mar 23, 2007
Thanks again for the great advice from the forum!!!

We did make a purchase, but the end result was a little different than the way I asked for advice:

1. My wife said she was not going to be riding, so then we were down to me and the two kids.

2. My daughter's size was too large for one of the 3-speeds without a clutch and she seemed very uneasy about the clutch. The Honda CRF80F or CRF100F fit her well with the CRF100F appearing to be perfect. She ended up getting an ATV instead of the dirt bike.

Here's what we bought: me a Honda CRF150F, my son got a Kawasaki KLX110, and my daughter got a Suzuki ATV QuadSport Z90.

We have taken the bikes out already and all I can say is we have a lot of learning to do. Naturally, the fully automatic Suzuki ATV was pretty easy on my daughter. My son had a ball on the Kawasaki KLX110, but he can not kick start it and he can not pick it up when he drops it which was about a half dozen times. I have a feeling we are going to be wishing for a bike with electric start for him which would have been the Yamaha TTR-90-E.

Dealing with the kids took up a good bit of my time, so I did surprising little riding this first time out, but the Honda CRF150F seems perfect for me. I was very close to getting a larger Honda CFR230F or a Yamaha TTR-230, but they seemed just a bit too tall for me.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
That sounds awsome, seat time is the key now, ride every chance you get, eventually the wife might come around, ride on. I love to see people getting into riding. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Top Bottom