dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Hey all, I got a line on a Husqvarna for sale by a prior District37 racer, Last Name Manford. He had a deal with Husqvarna and was getting his bike with only the "Bill Of Origin". Does anyone know if I would have any problems with DMV and a Bill of Origin without a CA Title? The bike is a 2001 WR360 so it should get the greensticker, but I don't know how DMV would react to the non-title issue.

Has anyone had to deal with this before and how did it go, what hoops did you have to jump through.

Also any thoughts on the WR360, I know people rave about the WR250, but not much on the 360. Some of the east coast/mid-west guys say that it can be a bit much back there, but we're out here and I need all the pulling power I can get.

Thanks Ed

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You'll need to go to DMV and start the process, they will tell you that you need a VIN verification. I've seend tons of stuff with just the MSO, like you stated and it really doesn't cause a problem. Sometimes they will have you fill out a statement of facts saying that you received the bike with only the MSO. No problem though, it will be fine. Having an MSO is saying that the bike came from the manufacturer, it's as good as a title. Some dealers originally get these MSO's but you never see them.

Not sure on how that bike will work out here but wee have alot of open good riding areas that you can run it.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I just registered my KTM from out of state and all I had was the cert. of Origin. Since I only applied for a green sticke ron this biek it went right through however they did want to see it, so I had to bring it down for a vin inspection.

TIP, for the odomiles put down over 8500, and check the box about milage exceeds the mech. limits. The Milage # is typicly one of the hang ups. A lesson I learned from Registering my Candadian Street legal bike.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Thanks for the input guys. I don't know what and if I'm going to do anything yet. My wifes ticked off about the whole issue. I have to decide if I really want to go back to a 2-stroke. I can't even remember how it was on a 2-stroke. With the 4 on downhills and fast turns, I just let off and the engine braking does the work or helps out. I've gotten lazy riding the big 4. I've got to look at all the Pros and Cons and quick I guess. The bike is for sale now up in Carpintera.

Thanks again

mbucklin

Nov 4, 2004
I bought the bike you spoke of back in May. DMV did a vin inspection & the rest was quick & easy. Love the bike, great power & handling second Husky I've owned. Hit that sixth gear, roll on the throttle & the world blur's. Big bore 2-strokes mimic 4's in many ways. I handle downhills in much the same way you described. I highly recommend going with another big bore 2-stroke while you still can! I'm forty six, ride with two guys I went to grade school with, KX500, EXC300 & my WR360. Great desert bikes, do everything the thumpers can & easy to work on too. Hope you calmed the wife down & found a nice bike, lifes toooo short.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Had to reply. Just became owner of an '02 360. It'll be my second one. It's gonna be hard to part with the '93 360 but it'll be a short memory once the '02 shows up. Has the auto decomp already. Now its just of matter of getting it out of texas and into missouri. Hmmmmm. Til it gets here I'm gonna be bummed the other bike is going. No desert here, just hills, woods, and rocks. After having the other 360 for 3 years, I know it suits my riding style and area. Funny thing is my riding buddies are on KX500 and KTM300. Can't wait.
Bob

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I bought my first used dirt bike in the US (San Fransisco) in '96 (a well used '91 CR500). I met the guy in a trucking parking lot in 'Frisco, and a after a short test ride, decided to buy the bike on the condition that he deliver it to my apartment in Concord (cash on delivery).

When the guy arrived, we made the deal, and he casually mentioned that I would have to get a "pink" for it. I thought, "OK , so what, big deal". Ya see, they don't have "pinks" in Canada (where I'm from), so I didn't see it as an issue.

I went to the DMV and registered it with no pink, MSO or inspections of any kind (just a hand written bill of sale), and it went without a hitch. My pink came in the mail a few weeks later.

But that was pure dumb luck. :yikes:

I'd never buy another bike (or any motor vehicle) without the pink in hand (or a least an MSO). The "pink" is one of the few 'Merican inventions I like. :cool:

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
DMV can be funny though. I bought my 6 year old a Polini X3 Works race bike this past spring and I'm still going round and round with DMV. Had to go through CHPtoo for an inspection. CHP said it didn't have lights and road features and that DMV would not register it. I couldn't believe what the officer was even saying. He said that the bike was made for dirt and that DMV didn't register non-hwy bikes. I was floored and went over his head to get the CHP paperwork. I got it with the bill of sale from the second owner took all the info back to DMV and they sent it to Special Processing. Months later DMV said the bike was never in their system under the first owner or the second owner and now I'm sending a check off for a Bond on the bike. DMV said they would give me a title after that, but it's 6 months or so and I'm to the point where it just doesn't matter anymore. Most people do not register the little race 50's, but I was following the law like I would anyway and look where it got me. A 1300.00 bike with a dmv fee of close to 300.00 now. I also got a honda from my 13 year old last summer, got the bill of sale and never had any problem at all. I expressed my disbelief in the fact that the 50cc was having problem and the honda had none. The girl behind the counter just responded as "I guess you got an agent that didn't know about dirt bikes". man what a screwed up system DMV is. Sorry to any who are affiliated with DMV, but the system needs fixing.

Top Bottom