Bike was stolen and destroyed

mikeyz

Jul 3, 2008
Hey guys I need a bit of your knowledge. Last year I had my bike up for sale and it was stolen. Luckily the person who stole it returned to the cycle gear store I worked at and began purchasing parts for it. Long story short I recovered it, however upon inspecting it, I learned it had grenaded itself. Turns out a reed screw backed out and was ingested. I had to leave for college but now I’m back and want to rebuild it.

The screw did a number on the cylinder head, allot of metal shavings got passed the crank. I’m working with practically no budget so I’m going to try and do all the work myself. I very comfortable working with the top end however have never split the cases and worked on the bottom.

Once I split the cases what should I do, or look for, to prevent any future damage. The crank seemed fine so I think I just need to flush out all the shavings. The kick start is seized currently however it wasn’t when I received it. I turned it over a few times and then it got stuck.

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
wow that was lucky as bet that guy who stole it feels like a dickhead now for going to the shop you worked at and good on ya for having a crack at splitting the cases ive never done a bottom end i always put my bikes into the shop for that but im pretty sure there are kits u can buy to replace most of it and a good flushh out seems like the right way to go

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i once dropped a circlip in the bottom end while doing the top end . it jammed between the crank and cases trying to get it out. i flipped the bike upside down and put it in gear, then jerked the wheel back and forth. when it popped loose it fell right out.

that was my first post on drn, after the advice i got, i also became a member that day.

I was going to split the cases if left to my own instincts. by the way i had a manual.....but was unsure of my own predicament. some folks have a manual and post here ANYWAY :nener:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The kick lever may be seized due to a large piece being stuck between the crank and the case. Also there may be particles in the bottom end bearings. Opening the case is your best bet, and you shouldn't even attempt it without either a manual or a friend with experience. There are a few special tools, including the flywheel puller, a heat gun, clutch holder, case splitter and press.
If you choose to flush the cases and call it a day, you might get lucky, but to tell you that it is a good idea would be irresponsible.

Top Bottom