Bike won't kick start, only push start..Please help!!

mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
I have a 2003 Suzuki RM 125 that will only start by pushing it down a hill and popping the clutch.

This is a new problem. The spark plug is brand new.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be???

Please help!

ENGLISH VINCE

Mar 17, 2006
Worn piston?

Sounds to me like the piston has had it. Is she real easy to kick over? When was she last rebuilt? Once running is there a lack of power, especially top end? I say this because two of my mates have had the same problem with their CR's. If this is the case it isnt a big deal as long as you havent ridden it like this for too long, just pop another piston in, run her in gently and she should run spot on again.

mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
I'm not sure if she was ever rebuilt. I just bought the bike used about a month ago and had no problems. Then I flooded it and fouled the plug and ever since then I'm having this problem even though I replaced the plug.

I have heard that it could be a dirty air filter.
Also could be a bad piston.

I'm new to this so any suggestions are welcome. Push starting it works but not so much when there are no hills around.!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
That is a sure sign of either worn rings or worn reeds.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
What CO said, or you got major jetting issues, How dirty is your air filter as well?

mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
My next step is to clean / replace the air filter.
Even when the bike is warmed up it will not kick start.

I also noticed that the bike doesn't like to idle anymore. Up until the recently it did just fine, but not anymore. I noticed it the same time by bike stopped kick starting.

robace78

Apr 28, 2006
Huh?

Sounds like you should paint the bike.... if you have a bad paint job it won't like being started... that's the only thing i can think of!!

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
do a compression test on it. my bike was the thing(82 kawi KDX175 2 stroke FOR SALE!!! by the way). and mine had 153 psi for compression, but the connection between the ignition coil and a connecting wire was dirty and so the ign coil wasnt supplying continous power. and it wouldnt start with the kick starter when warm.

Mar 1, 2005
like some already said it def sounds like the signs of low compression.if it were me i would check the compression and top end condition befor continuing to ride it.if the piston is worn out and you continue to run it your asking for big $$ trouble.from what i gather the reason it will only start by bump starting it with low compression is because the forward momentum of the bike turn's the moter over faster than the kicktarter can,which helps it build just enough compression to fire.good luck getting it sorted out

mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
thanks for all the posts! sounds like i should get it checked out before i ride again. i dont have the user manual so ill have to take it to a shop. thanks!

1994WR250Chad

Mar 19, 2006
WORD OF ADVICE

@ $75 and hour for labor at a shop...

I would encourage you to invest 30 to 50$ in a nice repair manual for your bike. It will pay for its self the first time you fix your bike on your own! Then make a tool purchace based on your manuals recommendation.

2 stroke are soooo simple to repair and almost impossible to mess up.

The manual WILL let you know how to replair most (90%)items in your garage and WILL tell you when the repair should be done by an authorized dealer!! (No Joke!)

Trust me... I just re-did my 1994 WR 250 top end in a weekend. My previous mechanical skills were changing my oil in my car. (for real!) I save my self 300$ inlabor.

G/L

ttrman0

Apr 2, 2006
Start simple.

Is it fresh gas/mix?
What ratio are u mixing?
New plug? I think u said yes to this one
Check Idle and air screw on carb.
Clean carb?
Do u get compression at all on the down swing of the kick?
Clean air filter?
Choke on or off?
What happens when choke is up? Same prob?
IS there top end or power band in First when u do get it running?
etc. etc.. :blah:

mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
I kind of noticed that when I get to 3rd / 4th gear the bike does not want to shift anymore it feels like. Right before I stopped riding the last time I thought something seemed weird but wasnt sure. Now that its been a while I am realizing that my first instinct was correct.Something definately was up with the bike in those gears.

There is top end and power band in first gear.
choke is on or off..tried both.
air filter is getting cleaned tonight.
40:1 ratio.
fresh gas.
minimal compression if any. occational backfire on kick.

Ethanw

Dec 10, 2018
Help I have ssr 125 pit bike and it won't start it got a brand new carb and will only pull start to start it and when it get fired up and I ride it for 5 to 10 min and kill it I won't start back up and it back fires when you kick it some times please
help

Last edited:
Top Bottom