Bike wont start after rebuild!!!

kprasek

May 19, 2009
I just rebuilt my old 2000 rm80's top end and it wont start up again. I installed the piston corectly but the ring might have shifted positions, I dont think so though. The compression is 90 which is low but could that be bacause the ring didn't have time to form to the cylinder? The bike has spark and is getting gas. I dont know what to do. Any sugestions?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Dis-connect the kill switch, make sure all your connectors are completely together, make sure the cap is all the way on, and try a new plug. After that, you will need a multi tester and the service manual. If you spun the cylinder to align the studs after the rings was in the cylinder, it can push the retainer pin in and cause big trouble. A compression test at this point is pretty useless, you would have to pull it to clear that up. The rings are not seated yet, but you would need new gaskets. You did check the thrust washer and piston skirt clearances, and the ring end gap?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Compression of 90 should be plenty to allow the engine to start.

Was the bike running properly when you tore it down for the rebuild, or was the rebuild because the bike stopped running?

One possibility is that water got down into the bottom end when you took the bike apart. When this happens it can mess things up until the water is gone. If you suspect this may have happened I would recommend pulling the plug, turn the gas off, put it in first gear and then push it around a bit.

Rod

Top Bottom