Bike wont start RM 250???, HELP.....

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I had about 3/4 of a gallon of 2 month old gas in the tank so I had to put some gas into my bike and guesstimated on how much I put in, so I could put the appropiate amount of pre-mix. Then got to the desert and I could NOT start the thing, (wouldn't even fire for just a bit). Took the plug out and it looked slightly oil fouled (maybe my guesstimate was off, and I added too much oil?)). I did NOT have a new plug (I thought I did), but I put an old one that I had cleaned in there, and after kicking a million times, finally got it to fire. TONS of smoke came pooring out of the exhaust and it reved very high for a moment. It fired a few times, then after a few seconds died. After doing that a couple times, I got it to fire, didn't mess with the choke, or give ANY Throttle, and let it idle for a minute or so.

It seemed like the bike was smoking a LOT for the first little while riding it but it seemed to run great after I got it started. And started right up, after I rode it/warmed it up.

Is this just a typical sign of being severely flooded (2 weeks ago the bike ran and started great at the track) or should I be concerned about something else?

Last edited:

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Next time get the right amount of oil in the gas... that might be it

i run 40:1 in my cr 250, i got a 5 gallon gas tank and i put 16 oz in it...

+30

Aug 2, 2005
ratio rite

couple of buck plastic cup for measuring correct amount premix. "ratio rite' buy an extra lid the same gnomes that steal socks also steal ration rite lids.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
old gas

the old gas plus unknown premix plus bike sitting several months and full float bowl also with possible oil settling and getting super rich on start, no big deal. bike should be fine. if it keeps smoking after you sort out the gas premix ratio problem suspect your right crank seal. otherwise you should be fine.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
+30 said:
the old gas plus unknown premix plus bike sitting several months and full float bowl also with possible oil settling and getting super rich on start, no big deal. bike should be fine. if it keeps smoking after you sort out the gas premix ratio problem suspect your right crank seal. otherwise you should be fine.

Thats kind of what I am figuring. I had riden it less than 2 weeks prior without any problems, but that gas was a little old to begin with. Maybe with the addition of too much oil, cold motor, few thousand feet higher altitude, maybe it was just that much easier to flood?

My carb and the motor just below it seemed to have a layer of oil/residue, this might also be a sign that there was too much sitting in the carb/float bowl?

Bike seemed to run great after it was finally started

Top Bottom