Bike won't start wehn warm, only when cold.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
I have a 2000 ktm 125 sx. The problem is it won't start when it's warm. It will start in one or two kicks when I first bring it out to go for a ride, but when I stall it or shut it off I have to bomb start it down a hill or something. When I kick start it cold I have to leave the gas off and the choke on, starts in 1 or two kicks. The bike has spark, checked reeds and powervalve and both are fine. Put a new piston kit in it and new clutch plates. Plus I clean my air filter every other time I ride.

The only thing I can think of is the spark plug heat range. My owner's manual calls for a BR9 EVX and I have a BR9 S in it right now. It runs awsome when it's running. The other thing it might be is a gummed up stator but I'd rather it be the spark plug. I need some advise please. Thanx

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
When it starts it runs awsome, it idles great when the clutch is pulled in and I can exit corners woth out using the clutch. When I start it up I just leave and it will idle great by it self. It's just that when I stall it going up a steep hil or something or shut it off, I have to push start it downa hill or slope. I t never has dies on me before.

RMASS

Apr 9, 2006
sounds like this is a simple fouled plug, replace the plug and don't leave the bike idling for a long period of time, get out and ride it till good and warm and kill it for test one, if it doesn't start then one more time replace the plug while it is still warm and try agian if the plug you took out looks fine (not black and oily) then I might suspect the plug wire possibly where it enters the coil. if it doesn't start after replacing the plug, check the coil connectors, coil mounts for rust/corrosion, also take a look at the wires comming off of your kill switch. I feel this is a simple problem from the description you have given START SIMPLE AND WORK YOUR WAY UP

dante

Mar 24, 2004
B8gs is a kind of plug... See the letters and numbers on the side of the ceramic part of the plug... Ask the guy at the bike shop they'll hook you up...

Top Bottom