Spencer99

Jun 20, 2007
hey guys,
i just came back from my cabin in the mountains a while ago, and my bikes been running wierd ever since then. I live almost at sea level, and my cabin is probably higher than 1500 feet. I was told that my carb would have to be jetted. My bike would start great at my house, and then i rode my bike for 3 days at my cabin, then it wouldnt start. I thought the air filter was cloged so i changed it, and it still wont start. I tryed to push start it, and it makes a blubbering sound. my buddy said the carb is probably clogged. he also said something about checking the points? anyways, sparks fine, it has gas, and i have no clue whats goin on.
thanks guy for you help.
P.S Its a 2003 CR 85

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Your 2003 cr 85 wont have points but try a fresh spark plug. Even if it looks like your getting good spark now. Other than that, if you suspect a fuel problem, pull the carb off, remove the bowl and give it a good cleaning. While the carb's off, might as well take a look at the reeds to make sure they're in good condition.

Good luck. :cool:

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Well the spark plug is an easy job ( 5 min.) be sure to clean around the old plug before you remove it to keep from dirt and crud from falling into the cylinder an causing damage.

If you have never disassembled a carb before you would be wise to pick up a service manual for that particular bike. It is a fairly easy job, but it's nice to have the manual just in case. If it's your first time, plan on taking an hour for this job.

Shoot me a pm if you need any help...

Cheers

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Spencer99 said:
hey guys,
I live almost at sea level, and my cabin is probably higher than 1500 feet. I was told that my carb would have to be jetted.

Carburetor jetting is a common issue with two strokes and it may in fact need to be done, but not because of altitude. 1500 feet is nothing! I frequently gain a lot more altitude than that just out on a single ride.

If you were going to be at 6000 feet for a while (like you lived there) it would be worth jetting for that. If you were a serious racer and wanted the most from your engine at all times you would adjust the jetting as needed.

As others have said you should start by changing the plug and see if that gets you going again. If that was the problem then you should do a "plug reading" to see if you are running too rich, which could cause your plug to foul easily. Do a search here for "plug reading" and you will find several threads that describe it. You may want to have someone who is experienced at it take a look at the plug. NOTE: your buddy who suggested that the points need attention would not be a good choice...... (points are old technology, haven't been on dirt bikes for over 20 years)

Rod

Spencer99

Jun 20, 2007
ok thanks guys for all your help, i just talked to my local shop and he said it sounds like i have a more serious problem then a carb issue. i just put in a brand new spark plug, and a new air filter. so maybe its fuel? how do i check if the bikes getting fuel or not?

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Spencer99 said:
ok thanks guys for all your help, i just talked to my local shop and he said it sounds like i have a more serious problem then a carb issue. i just put in a brand new spark plug, and a new air filter. so maybe its fuel? how do i check if the bikes getting fuel or not?

After you put your new (dry) plug in, kick it over a bunch of times with the choke on then pull the plug and check to see if it's wet.

Top Bottom