J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
i was considering purchasing a 2001 Yahama YZ125 dirt bike for $700. the guy i went to buy it from doesnt know much about the bike plus it isnt his, it was his neighbors who moved arcoss sea and asked him to sell it for him. He has the title number and i got the bikes vin number. i know i need to go to the dmv for the lost title. the problem is the bike hasnt been started in about 2 years and when i went to kick start the bike it wouldnt start, the engine would only rumble not ignite and start. any suggestions on what the problem is? also any other advice on the vin number would be helpful too.

p.s i think this is the right section for the thread, if not my bad. help would be wonderful,appreciate it

tweek49

Dec 30, 2006
Well if a bike sits for two years it isn't necescarily going to start on the first couple kicks. Maybe try to get a new plug, clean the filter or clean the carb.

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
suggestions about the title and the vin number.....thanks for the help so far

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
tweek49 said:
Well if a bike sits for two years it isn't necescarily going to start on the first couple kicks. Maybe try to get a new plug, clean the filter or clean the carb.

hey is the plug your talking about the spark plug?..... also if it is a spark plug will i be able to take it out easy like i took the spark plugs out of my truck easy?????

ive got this web site with the bike parts on here, which part would it be?
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-yz125n-2001/o/m8837

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. You can't legally transfer it till he signs off on it I believe?

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Well- dmv's vary by state.

If you have a title and vin, what exactly is the question?

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
fatcat216 said:
Well- dmv's vary by state.

If you have a title and vin, what exactly is the question?

what do i do...like take it to the dmv and ask for a lost title?

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
1. What state are you in?
2. As Joe said, if it is titled, the OWNER needs to sign off on it. Bill of Sale and original title transferring it to you with his or her signature. You can't just walk in and get a replacement title for a vehicle that you can't prove has been sold to you. That is the whole point behind titling.

3. I agree with Joe that the circumstances aren't particularly something to rush headlong into.

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
yea.....i see what your saying but the guy told me that the dude who owned it moved across seas?

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Yes, but it still has to be done properly, legally. You'll want to be sure that the person selling the bike isn't pulling a fast one, anyway. No shortcuts to doing things right, I'm afraid. You'll save yourself a huge headache.

Having said all that...and I hate to muddy the waters...but are you sure it is even titled??? What state are you in? Not every state titles dirtbikes. You still need a proper bill of sale from the RIGHTFUL owner not "some guy" who said. Otherwise the real owner can come back claim the bike, and you are out the money. Too bad, so sad.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
fatcat216 said:
Yes, but it still has to be done properly, legally. You'll want to be sure that the person selling the bike isn't pulling a fast one, anyway. No shortcuts to doing things right, I'm afraid. You'll save yourself a huge headache.

Having said all that...and I hate to muddy the waters...but are you sure it is even titled??? What state are you in? Not every state titles dirtbikes. You still need a proper bill of sale from the RIGHTFUL owner not "some guy" who said. Otherwise the real owner can come back claim the bike, and you are out the money. Too bad, so sad.

Exactly.

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
Hmmm alright well i live in IL and he said the guy moved over seas who owned the bike, but i know what your saying. Could i have the dmv look up the title info and see if i can contact the guy, if thats all to much work can any one help me find a bike?????

for bike info
im 16
lookng for a bike around 150cc
heigh:5'8"
weight:165, im pretty built
Agressive level: high i would say
Skill lever: beginner
price: 1800$ top
State: ILL

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Look in the newspaper. Any early to mid 2000 125 will be around 1500 bucks. Make sure you save some money for gear.

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
my cousin use to ride and he said i can buy all of his gear for cheep

so from what your all saying its bad to buy a bike with out the title....like one person said to me was have him sing a reciept that i bought it from him...and take a video of it with my phone and that way i have proof that i purcash it from him

eds_tls

Aug 26, 2008
I personally would take the vin to the police station. Have them run the vin to see if its stolen.

If the vin comes up clean give the guy $700, clean the carb, change the plug, put new gas in it and ride the bejusus out of it.

J3FF187

Mar 28, 2008
alright thank you guys for all the wonderful help just one last question

is it bad to buy a bike with out the title

eds_tls

Aug 26, 2008
Yes, its bad to buy a vehicle without a title if you plan to register it and get liscense plates.

I wouldn't have a problem buying an off road vehicle without a title. My '99 YZ came with a "certificate of orgin.". Never transfered from the origional owner 10 years and 3 owners prior

Top Bottom