bike woulnt start tried putting a new plug in and still woulnt fire

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
ive out in a new plug thinking that was teh problem and it still woulnt fire this is my second bike and im not realy the greatest mechanic any suggestions will help

Last edited:

misfitfmx

Aug 13, 2007
You should have gotten someone to try and start it first before putting time and money into getting a new plug in it. Have you always been riding Honda's or was it a different Brand/Model?

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
well i had a yz250f befor i got my cr250r...... my dad tried starting it to befor we put the new plug in and said that it could just be the plug witch i was hoping cuzz thats not expensive and to time cunsuming to replace ....... could it be teh carb????

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Well first things first, if it doesnt even try to start check if you are getting spark. That was my problem, which ended up being a faulty kill switch... Or, check if the plug is fouling...

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
cr250rracerx said:
were can i sownload a manuel for my bike and what should i do to check if its the kill switch??

You can "download" a manual by going to the nearest honda dealership and giving them $20-$50 for a service manual :nener:

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
haha well im cheap i found a place to downlaod it so never mind about that but still any other sujestions about getting my bike started??

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
like they said check the plug. You have to take the plug out and keep it connected then put the threading I believe again some metal on the bike and hold it there and get someone to kick it over. If you see a blue spark then you are good to go. If no spark then that's your problem. Could be a faulty kill switch as previously stated. You should check the compression. It may be the piston rings that need replacing. Could be a few different things... Good luck

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
i tried taking out the plug and kicking it then putting it back in didint work i put in a brand new plug and it still didint work i havnt tested the new plug like jeromeo said to but its brand new so it should work if not i will found out tomarrow when i test it if it is a faulty killswitch do i just have to replace the whole kill swith???

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
When did the bike run last, how well did it run then, and how hard was it to start before that?

My bike occasionally decides it doesn't want to start. Okay, I occasionally manage to flood it! :-) When that happens I usually grab a tie down strap, wrap it around the front forks and have something give me a tow to get it started. Note: you don't need to be towed at 60 MPH ! Just get it rolling, drop it into 2nd or 3rd and let the clutch out. As soon as it fires pull the clutch in so you don't run down the vehicle towing you.

If it was a one time deal then go on with life. If it won't stay running, or continues to be hard to start then start fixing things.

Rod

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
im pretty sure the engine isnt blown last time it ran it started right up and ran fine then i turned it off cleaned it and it wouldint start back up im running 32:1 in it ......... ill try to start it like rmc_olderthandirt said ive had to do that befor when i flooded it if that doesnt work ill let u guys know

WVFR

Jan 4, 2007
If you know you are getting spark:

Is the spark plug wet when you take it out after trying to start it? If not then check your carb float bowl. If there is no gas there then the float needle is sticking or you forgot to turn the gas on ;-). If the spark plug is wet, then I would look at compression.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
You know, "power mechanics" was maybe the best class I ever took in high school (76-80). There, we learned all about compression, spark, and fuel systems. Don't they offer this class anymore? When you have a bike that doesn't start the first simple things to check are:

a) compression? You can usually feel this by turning the kickstarter over by hand. It should be stiff and "snap" off the piston upstroke. Or you can test it, but engines generally lose compression slowly and just get gradually harder to start.

b) spark? Ground the plug on the side of the engine and turn kickstarter by hand. Plug should spark.

c) fuel? If the plug's wet, then compression is good enough to suck fuel into the engine and you're getting fuel thru the float bowl into the engine. Fuel is probably not a problem.

I'd start working on "spark" until you get one. New plug, check for corrosion in the kill switch, moisture in the flywheel area, loose wires everywhere, etc.

The 2nd most useful class I've ever taken (and this includes post-graduate study) was typing. Seriously! I took it in college and I've used it practically every single day since.

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
(im in the 10th grade) no they dont offer power mechanics at my school i would have to go to a special school for basicly any kind of mechanics. there more focussed on gov't math english that kind of stuff they have a typing class that i already took and it did help alot with typing....

my compression is fine the plug is brand new i just replaced it and it still woulnt fire i think it could just be realy realy flooded but i dont know wouldint it at least fire if it was flooded

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
cr250rracerx said:
(im in the 10th grade) no they dont offer power mechanics at my school i would have to go to a special school for basicly any kind of mechanics. there more focussed on gov't math english that kind of stuff they have a typing class that i already took and it did help alot with typing....

my compression is fine the plug is brand new i just replaced it and it still woulnt fire i think it could just be realy realy flooded but i dont know wouldint it at least fire if it was flooded

You could put in 1000 new plugs, if it doesnt have a spark then the bike will not fire!

Ground the plug to the bike, turn the bike over and see if there is a spark. If there is no spark take the bike to a local mechanic and have it fixed.

cr250rracerx

Sep 3, 2007
i was taking alook and i see tehre is some coolent coming outta a the top of the engine leaking threw the gasket could that be my problem that i just need to replace the gasket?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
cr250rracerx said:
(im in the 10th grade) no they dont offer power mechanics at my school
That's too bad because, seriously, it was a GREAT class. Actually, you know, now that I think about it, I took power shop in JR High in 1976, State College PA, along with wood and metal. It was just part of the curriculum. I got extra credit for working on my XR75, too!

What's this country coming to when kids don't learn how engines work? :yell: :|

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
that shouldn't be the problem. I would replace the gasket to get rid of the leak though. Coolant is supposed to run through the engine to cool it but it shouldn't be leaking. I also don't think it would be the jetting because you had it running before correct?? You could check the carb and maybe clean it. Are you getting a strong blue spark???

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am going to take a guess here:

You said that it was running great, then you washed it and it wouldn't start after that. My guess is that when you washed the bike you got water into the ignition circuit which kept you from getting spark right away. When you tried to start the bike without any spark it caused the bike to seriously flood. Now that you have spark the engine is so badly flooded it won't run.

If you can tow it to get it started then you should be fine afterwards. If you can't tow it then I would recommend shutting the gas off at the tank, removing the spark plug, open the throttle wide and kick that sucker a LOT to get all the gas out of the lower end. Without the plug it should kick over pretty easy.

What I recommend for the future is if you want to wash your bike, warm it up first. Wash the bike, then immediatly start it and warm it up afterwards. A warm engine will dry itself (and the ignition) a lot faster and it will be easier to start and less likely to flood. Restarting it right away (or attempting to) will clearly show if the water has caused any issues.

Rod

TCYFudge

May 24, 2007
my friends cr85 expert was running after he just got it fixed. it ran fine and good. then his gasket blew and let all the engine coolant into his engine. it was still running then he stopped riding and he looked at his coolant and it was all gone. all the coolant went into the engine because of the blown gasket and fouled every plug he put in it then we found out that all the coolant was in the engine and it messed with the gas. he changed the gasket and got rid of the coolant in the engine by the piston and bottom end and it started right up with a new plug. so you want to make sure the cooland isnt going in with the gas and piston.

Top Bottom