Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
How did you guys convince your parents to finally get you that bike? Did they hate the idea or were they accepting?

My dad was never really into offroading but he imagined how it could be fun. Three years ago I showed him the ad for the XR. He called they guy, we drove over and we got it. He has still only tried the bike once. I still think my dads the nicest guy in the world for doing all the leg work for something he had no interest in, maybe its just me.

Let's hear your stories about how your parents dealt with these intimidating propositions. And how about you riding moms and dads? How do you feel about your little guys now taking up the sport? I bet you remember all the dumb stuff you did on your bikes when you were their age.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
click this search link.
then click "advanced".
Put: Parents in the search field.
In the drop down, select "search titles only"

Your question has been asked and answered MANY times.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Okiewan said:
click this search link.
then click "advanced".
Put: Parents in the search field.
In the drop down, select "search titles only"

Your question has been asked and answered MANY times.

Thanks for asking the question, and double thanks for the reference to the threads! I hadn't even thought to look until someone else asked!! Lots and lots of good stuff here.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
ouch! quite the uncharitable post kill! :fft: --just kidding

yeah i just started exploring these forums and thought that this post was quite original, oh well so much for that.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
My dad had a bike and my mom rode bikes as a kid so it didn't really take any persuasion to get a bike, only money. I paid $500/600 for my first bike (1985 XR100R) and have paid for the entirety of my bikes after that.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
My Dad still hates motorcycles, says I'll break my fool neck someday. I mowed lawns and did odd jobs and saved my allowance for EVER and bought a 76 RM80 :cool: He allowed it, but never accepted it, to this day (oh my, 31 years later) he still is not OK with it. Go easy and be respectful, it may take some time.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
I really feel bad, I am going to be selling my xr200r soon for the cr. I feel bad for my dad because i have always felt that the bike was some kind of token of how he cared about me, and now I'm just selling it for something new. Plus he hates the sound of 2 strokes so he definitely wont enjoy this.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
He'll get used to it. My parents didn't used to like two-strokes, but now that I ride one they love them. I bet your dad ends up the same way.

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
i got my first bike when i was 8 a pw80 agrivated dad for 3 years for one he likes them as much as i do we just couldnt afford one till then.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
My step dad could care less what i was into as long as i was carefull and i could pay for it. But my uncle is what got me really into it. He got me my first and only bike (so far) the KE100 he payed $100 for it and it needed a new topend. My uncle (dads brother) is really into the powersports. So he is like :cool: when it somes to it but my step dad is just like.. ok cool... He ride it around every once and awile. We just dont havethe money to wast on dirtbikes. Same with my real dad he had dirtbike but he doesnt have the oney also to get me a bigger dirtbike. Bu everyonce and awile my parent will kick in some money to help me get parts (and they buy the gas) so im cool with it.

And at first my mom was terrified of me riding something with a motor because her dad (my grandpap) broke his leg on a dirtbike. but after i roder her on a quad, and she sseen me ride on my and my friends dirtbike and the go-kart she is cool with it.

But i still have to buy the bikes.

Top Bottom