Franx

Jan 9, 2008
I'm 6'4" and 240lbs. The last bike i owned was a 00 CR250 and I felt cramped on it. Any suggestions on which machine would be a good fit (05 & newer)? I plan on riding hare scrambles again and a little mx.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'4"/240lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderately agg./I'm not afaid to bump
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
MX/Woods
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes. Was Novice A/ Intermediate Hare Scrambles in Canada
5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I've got more experience on 2 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
All 4 japanese and ktm within a 40 min drive
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Under 5k Canadian
10) Do you live in California?
Nope
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Not really

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well.. all the bikes 125's and up are ABOUT the same size. A couple inches here and there. but ABOUT the same.. You could get taller seat foam.. but i don't know to many other things you could do.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
It's not the seat height. I mean ergonomics and usable power.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
My uncle has a 07 and likes it. They're just a little expensive. I'm going to check out some bikes on the weekend.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
Sadly, none

I am 6' 6" and I have done the showroom floor tryout of all the Japanese bikes. I do not have a convenient dealer for KTMs or exotics, but I am not convinced that there is a whole lot of difference from brand to brand in ergonomics - at least not enough to make a difference for someone our size.

There are ways to get an extra quarter inch at the pegs, an extra couple inches of seat height, a few mm of additional bar offset, and maybe an inch or two of additional bar height. Unfortunately, that is not nearly enough.

FWIW, I think the KLX450 feels the roomiest on the showroom floor. But there is no bike that will fit you (or me) the way they all fit a guy who is 5' 8" tall.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
bmcd308, thanks for the input. I figured as much. I guess it'll come down to the price.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look at KTM dealer Friday after work and the Honda/Kaw. dealer on Saturday. Maybe the Suz/Yam dealer as well. Depends if I make it out of the first one.

I do know I'd like a two stroke.

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
bmcd308 KDX 200

bmcd308,

See that you have a KDX 200, I just bought one tonite, read alot of good things about them and felt right. I am a big rider as well. Did you switch out the suspension front and/or rear? If so, what mods did you do?

thks

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Stick with a two stroke for sure.As was already mentioned,the wr's are pretty nice big bikes.I don't know about the newer ones,but the older ones will stand up to anything,the most realiable bike I have ever met.Also,my dad is 6'6'' and he can ride the wr comfortably,he's never raced it though,only mountain riding.My old wr is like an indestructible tank.Have you looked at the newer yz's?

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
The last 4 stroker I rode was a 00 YZ426. I'm leaning towards a 06 KTM 300.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
I ended up buying a 08 YZ250F.
100_3165.jpg

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
That's basically the same physical size as you had but slower? Any reason for picking that one? Just curious.

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
This bike is way easy to ride. It works better in the woods than my old CR did and fits me better. It's definitely not fast by any means but it'll do the job for what I want.

Top Bottom