LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Since there has been a lot of discussion about "what bike do I get for my wife, girlfriend, sister..." etc, Sharla (Firecracker22) has taken it upon herself to compile a lot of the opinions and experiences into a nice article. At the end of the article is a table showing the different bikes and some of the important characteristics that women look for in a bike (low seat height, low weight). The article was limited to mostly beginner bikes, and bikes under 250cc, since this is where the majority of women will be starting out.
I threw in a few pictures and saved it all off in PDF format, so please feel free to download, print out, and read at your leisure. Enjoy!

http://dirtrider.net/Bikes_for_Gals.pdf

Here's the link to download Acrobat Reader: (it's free!)

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Last edited:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Thanks ladies! The work is greatly appreciated.

I love this place. :yeehaw:

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
WOW, what a great guide. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together. It was awesome!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Cool, Lori, thanks for your help! I found a mispelling already though. It's just a typo, I really do know how to spell it.

Dede

May 23, 2004
That's was a cool idea. Sounds like it will be really helpful. I can't view it though cuz that program won't work in my computer:(

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks Michelle-- added the link to Acrobat Reader in the main post!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Nice job Sharla! This should be very helpful for every new rider! One bike you might want to add for the more advance "New" riders. The 02 thru 03 FE400E Husaberg Line of bikes tends to be a bit more compact in frame design and the seat height. It feels to be shorter that the Ktm's of the same displacements. The bike is very user-friendly horsepower wise and has an E button. But as in any boutique style race bikes. These bikes are high maintenance.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
bbbom said:
BTW Lori, do you prefer lots of glitter on your macaroni art or just a hint of glitter? :)

Somewhere in between-- just not so much that it looks like you spilled the jar! :laugh:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
NICE WORK LADIES!!!! Hahahah, my first post on DRN was about "which bike????"

Sharla, you are an amazing writer!

mojoscojo

Sep 1, 2003
Awesome job ladies! Thank you for sharing your experience! I have been contemplating getting another bike for my wife. She tried for a while on a KX125 that I lowered the best that I could. She had a difficult time because she was not comfortable not being able to touch flat footed. This list and explanation helps narrow the list of bikes we should consider greatly. With any luck, I'll get her on something soon and get her out riding with you and bbbom and karl. So far, the only bikes with an appropriate seat height in her opinion are the crf100 and maybe a kx/cr85. However I'm not confident either of those choices will provide enough power. We'll see....

Scott

Last edited:

Biker2B

Jun 25, 2004
mojoscojo said:
Awesome job ladies! Thank you for sharing your experience! I have been contemplating getting another bike for my wife. She tried for a while on a KX125 that I lowered the best that I could. She had a difficult time because she was not comfortable not being able to touch flat footed. This list and explanation helps narrow the list of bikes we should consider greatly. With any luck, I'll get her on something soon and get her out riding with you and bbbom and karl. So far, the only bikes with an appropriate seat height in her opinion are the crf100 and maybe a kx/cr85. However I'm not confident either of those choices will provide enough power. We'll see....

Scott

How tall is she? I've been looking around at different bikes myself and I'm 5'4". So far, I've felt most comfortable on the Yamaha TT-R125LE but the suspension compressed under my weight (I'm an in shape chunk, if that makes sense;) ) I think I would end up liking the Honda CRF150 more but the weight bothered me. Most of my riding is going to be with my children so there will be a lot of stop and go, I'm sure and I might get more tired getting on and off the bike so much. Anyway, this is all coming from someone who has never ridden before soooo...don't pay any attention to me :) I guess I was just thinking out loud ;)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
An update: The August, 2004 issue of Dirt Rider has an article on picking beginner bikes. They even had some quotes and pics from their female staff. :cool:

ALSO-- the same issue has a quick test on the KTM 105SX-- sounds like a very cool bike! Claims to have a lot more low-end torque than the 85, so it may make a good trail bike as well.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Great article! I've been trying to explain the differences to a freind of mine who is learning to ride. She's about my height (5'3") so I told her to try the TTR125-LE. She's had it about a year now and is progressing. She read the Dirt Rider article on the KTM 105 and got a wild hair and went and bought one. I can't believe she even found one. Anyway, I've ridden the bike and could tell a difference in the power immediately. Compared to my KX100, it has alot more bottom end. However, it seemed to be a little lacking on the top. In defense of the KTM, I was the first to ride it, so I wasn't going to go flat out. At least not until she is through with break in! It does feel a little taller but overall, I wish I had one!

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Nice Report. Well done. I would also recommend a DRZ250 four stroke for a beginner. The bike is very forgiving but has enough power for those who are a bit more daring.... it is a bit on the heavy side, however. I started dirtbiking on the Suzuki and am glad that I did. After a year of giving it a beating, I have now moved to a KTM 250 four stroke.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have to add a new comment--I rode a KDX 200 this weekend, and what an AWESOME bike! It's a lot like my KTM only SO much more forgiving! I wish I had gotten one of those when I was a beginner! It was great, great fun to ride. I really liked it. I want to get one as a second bike.

Biker2B

Jun 25, 2004
Funny, that you say that! I've been reading that alot lately on different boards. WOuld you have found the height to be an issue as a beginner?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Depends on how tall the beginner is. If you're 5'7" or taller, you'd be fine. Shorter than that, probably not. At 5'7" (that's how tall I am) I felt fine on it, but my KTM is tall so I am used to it. However cutting down the seat would enable you to flat-foot on it. Also, many people have lowered KDXs with "dogbones" or lowering linkages.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I think ya need to put some bigger bore bikes on there. Other than that GREAT job. Another thing ya could do if ya had any spare time is maybe somehow put a hieght/weight/ bike chart, now that would be cool. Hell yeah, keepin us girls in the game. Lol, great terminology though, i understand the "guy talk" but i have found myself using a few of your terms to describe bikes to some of my friends how arent quite (or not at all) up on the whole internal combustion engine thing. Lol, In Diver Ed, i was the only one of the whole class to get 100 on the test about engines and maintitaince, msotly cuz of bikes, lol, some girls even ahd trouble opening the hood, wow, glad im not one of them, lol, no offense ladies. Lol, Some one needs to make a book about motors for girls though for sure.

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
I just got my girlfriend who is 5'4" a crf 150 and she loves it. prior to this she had only ridden a cr 80 and that was only for a few minutes but now she rides all the time without being afraid she's going to bite it on a little 2s. So far has been a great bike and i would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a smaller (bulletproof bike).

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
:cool:

As I am constantly on the lookout for CJ's next bike :debil: , I thought I'd pass along the link for this site. May be useful for those of you who want to get onto a bike but are deterred by the specs (height).

http://www.koubalink.com/

Cheers! - Will

surthngaz

Feb 15, 2005
I thought I was a wimp

Great article!! :worship:

Oh it was so nice to see another 80 rider also.

I'm 5'1 and like both feet on the ground, my 80 is perfect for me and as I'm new to this whole dirt thing feet on the ground is good. :laugh:

Top Bottom