Bikes got stolen, looking to get a new one...

wcbcruzer

Nov 26, 2008
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Last Saturday two of my bikes got stolen. 1983 YZ250 and 1979 RM400. Just as I was getting back into riding this happened. :bang:

I started riding when I was about 12, I'm 24 now. I haven't ridden a bike in at least 6 years. I started out on a Suzuki DS80, then moved to a KX80 (taller), and then got the YZ250 that I had for a long time. I put a new topend on it and that thing was pretty fast. I'm 5'9" and about 160 lbs.

Needless to say, I never really felt like I was in full control of the 250. After reading some of the threads on here I realize that it's probably true given my weight and height. Growing up with other dirtbikers it's always cooler to have a bigger, more powerful bike. I could care less now. I just want something I can have fun with on the weekends. All my bikes have been 2 strokes and now I want to get a 4 stroke. What do you recommend? I'd like to get something used that's no more than 10-15 years old. I don't really know all the 4 stroke models they offered throughout the years though. If someone can name some I would appreciate it. I'll be doing more trail riding and some small jumps.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
I would say a CRF450 but you mite get hurt on it.I would go with the CRF250R they are great bikes.If you do not like that bike then i highly recommend that you stay in the Honda family.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Consider a Kawasaki KLX250/300? They're real nice handling bikes, good trail bikes. They had issues with a faulty coating on the rear shock shaft causing seal failures, and being a bear to start. But there's plenty of info out there on how to re-coat the shaft, and getting the carbs dialed in. There's also Honda's XR250's and 400's. I personally think the Kaw was a better turning, lighter feeling bike. The KLX, like the KDX (2stroke) for some reason got a reputation for being a girly bike ( :think: )... wierd because I've got a friend who could really haul the mail on one.

wcbcruzer

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies so far. Would 4-strokes be more expensive to rebuild than 2-strokes? I'm talking about when it comes to rebuilding the top end. Do they last longer?

So right now I'm looking for a crf250, xr200/250, klx250, or even crf150. I'd rather not get a 450 because it's too heavy. I'd like to get a bike no more than 220 lbs.

What does the R and F mean at the end of the models? Like crf250r?

May 10, 2007
ok.

MODERN RACE 4T will be more expensive and more complicated to rebuild then a 2t

in the honda CRF lineup the R or X indicates a high performance engine. read above. the CRF-XXXF bikes are using pretty much the same engine as the XR bikes. these you will just clean the air filter and change the oil. no rebuild required.

if i were you i would go with the XR or a KDX. they are great trail bikes that last forever.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
well the XRs and the KLXS will last a lot longer between rebuilds then the crfs and yes the rebuilds in 4Ts cost more.
the R means its a race bike and it will have more power and better suspension then the F but will reqire more maitinace and rebuilds more often. I would recomend getting an XR

wcbcruzer

Nov 26, 2008
Great, keep the suggestions coming! I'm starting to get more of a feel for what bikes are out there now. I get confused because they discontinue models, come out with new models, use different engine sizes throughout the years, etc. So far I'm liking the Honda XR200/250, Kawasaki KLX300R, KX250F, YZ250F, RM-Z250, and CRF250X/R. Are there other similar models that I'm missing from any of the big 4 makers?

Also, is there such a thing as just a KLX300? Or are they all KLX300R?

Last edited:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I think KLX300 is the same as KLX300R. Many of us just leave off the "R". And the KLX250 is the same bike with a slightly smaller piston. When the 250 came out, many were putting a big bore kit on it (300), Kaw followed up soon with the 300 (stock).

wcbcruzer

Nov 26, 2008
Are the Honda XR bikes comparable to the Yamaha TTR bikes? Because the TTRs don't seem to have a very good reputation...

Basically, just as the YZ, KX, RM, and CR are in the same class; what would be in the same class as the XR or KLX in the past 10 years from the big 4?

Shad0wRyd3r

Nov 10, 2008
i have a 1996 xr 200, and a 2006 crf250r. I would suggest getting a xr200 for sticking to the trails. They're a great bike that lasts what seems like forever with just oil changes and air filter cleaning. Just don't go over to big of a jump or you could blow the front fork seals, which i only managed to do after taking it to the track before getting my 250.

wcbcruzer

Nov 26, 2008
Well I've pretty much got my mind set on a KLX300R. I rode one the other day and it's a nice bike. The XR is good too but I don't like how it's air cooled and I also can't seem to find that many of them unless they're really old. Thanks for the help guys.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom