Suzooka

May 22, 2001
Is there any snowmobile trails around in the lower pennisula that I can ride on with just an ORV sticker? Also does anyone know how much snow is at Gladwin or Leota? I have not been there in a while.

Thanks

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Are you talking about riding an ORV or a snowmobile on them? Some of the "bike trails" North of Baldwin (like the Manistee loop) serve dual purpose for sleds/bikes/quads/cars - these trails remain OPEN for quads and bikes during the winter and you only need a valid ORV to ride THEM on IT. If you do though, be careful not to continue on sled trails that are not marked ORV too! TICKET TIME and alot of sledders are majorly protective of their groomed surfaces - u dont wanna a bunch of them pushing you off into the deep stuff! I was recently on a roadway on my KX500 (street legal) and I had a sledder jump in front of me - I stopped - he started in on me about wrecking HIS trail :) I politely said "this is a ROAD and I am LEGAL - I sorry but we have to share" I then reminded him of how DUMB it was to step in front of a MOVING vehicle with studded tires that has a tendency to "wheelie" over stumps and other stuff that gets in the way.... He appologized, but the contreversy doesnt ALWAYS end so friendly like :(
On the other hand, if your question is - can you ride a SLED on any area's with only an ORV sticker the answer is no - gotta be registered and have a sled "trail permit" to be legal anywhere in the state except on private land (lakes may be different).
Hope this helps.
Woodsy
Also, if you ride those trails that serve dual purpose - watch out for SLEDS - they FLY those trails!!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, what Woodsy said.
I've been in Leota less than a week ago and live right near Gladwin. The snow is deep! Good for a sled though. Not saying it couldn't be done, just be a lot of work and not much fun with the quad trenches.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Suzooka: Yep, all the trails that are legal for your "non street" legal KTM during the summer are also legal during the winter. Even if they are being used as sled trails now, they are still legal for bikes. There is a ride coming up called the "Snowy Chicken" - according to Fred T. the ride date is the 13th of March (I havent received confirmation personally about his date - but I am sure he is correct). The "ride" usually involves around 50 (last couple years more like 100) dirtbikers and we gather at Peacock LTD (Honda dealer) just north of Baldwin Michigan. They pass out trail maps and have everyone go in one direction on the loop. The ride takes in the Manistee Loop which has a single track that runs near the double wide trail that quads/snowmobiles use. If the single track is not rideable due to snow ALL the bikes and quads will be running on the snowmobile trail with snowmobiles! This trail is ridable NOW if you wanna ride it. your welcome to join the ride at Peacock - cost is $10 (unless they have raised it) and depart is normally 9 am..... If your intersested keep an eye on this board cause there will be more info posted as we get closer to the ride date.
Woodsy

Top Bottom