bikes with decals on the gas tank

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone else own a bike with the decals actually right ON the gas tank?

Thats how my KX 500 is. Stupid design IMO, becuase when it gets cold enough, the gas in the tank creates moisture under the decal and makes it bubble, which eventually ruins the whole decal. I already spent $120 or so to get new ones on each side, and now I have to actually take the whole gas take off in the winter and store it inside, since I don't have a garage to put my bikes in yet, and even if I did, I STILL think it would be to cold and the decals on the tank would get ruined in the winter.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I always thought it was the fumes from the gas that made an non perforated decal bubble and discolor.

So it could be from cold to? cool

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
i_955 said:
I always thought it was the fumes from the gas that made an non perforated decal bubble and discolor.

So it could be from cold to? cool

O yes, its definitely from the cold! You can take your hand and literally tipe friggin moisture & frost off of your damn decal when its cold out. The decals on the gas tank that is. And then if you check the ones NOT on the tank, they are bone dry, and about 20 degree's warmer.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
i_955 said:

I agree with you...

Crazy

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I've had perforated decals that held up pretty well. However, they yellow after a period of time from the fumes leeching through the plastic.
I saw an ad about a year ago for what I thought was a neat product. It was some sort of skin that stretched over the tank to give it a "new " look. Tank Skins or something like that.
Might be an option.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I apply decals to aircraft that fly at 50,000 feet and above at temps of -35deg. and colder. These don't seem to have problems with moisture forming under the decal. I don't get it when you say that the cold causes bubbling....Ok I know what your thinking,the fuel can not permeate the aluminum,your right,thats not my point....you said the cold causes bubbling. :think:
I belive that the liquid inside the tank (aircraft or dirtbike tank) retains the cold longer then the fender therefore the air immediately next to the tank is below the freezing point longer.
I think that is why your seeing frost.

I could be wrong but this is what I think...

Crazy

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I think your both right. Cold + fuel in the tank = decal bubbles. Couldn't you remove the fuel when you go to store it? This has been a problem with plastic gas tanks ever since the 70's when they first started using plastic for gas tanks.

Curt_704

Nov 7, 2001
I also have a couple of bikes with decals on the gas tank - a YZF 250 & KX 500. I think the gas fumes are the biggest contributor to the delamination as well as discoloration. I've had the best results storing my bike with a full tank of gas or at least a level above the graphics. This greatly reduces the fumes inside the tank as it's all liquid.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
It is both really, like you all have really said. Fresh fuel has alot of fumes that seep through the plastic tank and mess with the adhesion and coloring of the graphics. Then in the winter, the cold makes the graphic bubble. The fumes mess with the adhesive when its warm out, making it easier for moisture to get in under the graphics. If there is still gas in your tank in the winter, it isn't messing with your graphics beacause it is most likely stale. The cold messes with the graphics on the tank when its cold, beacuse the gas inside gets colder then the temperature of your fenders and other plastics. So you're all right.

cmore

Jan 23, 2003
I do beleive, the decal problem is from the fumes, I have heard of someone cleaning the tank outside then spraying with clear paint, this put a sealing effect on the tank & his decals lasted for about 2 years. with no discoloration,

Top Bottom