bikeshoe vs bikeboot & related question

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
www.bikeboot.com/

vs

http://www.americandirtbike.com/adb.htm

any comparisons?
wonder who holds the patent on these things?

Also, if mounting bikes diagonal - what about "bike side-to-side" motion (forward and back trailer motion). Any concerns w/r to wear/tear on bike - or- can bikes smack into each other?

I used the bikeshoe on my crf on an open trailer and it rocked violently from side to side w/o any front tiedowns. (installation was directly forward too) Some could be attributed to the trailer flex - but not all...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I am waiting for our new toyhauler then I plan to use one or the other. I am thinking that I will mount on a strip of plywood so I can remove them at the races or on non bike vacations (I think I remember those)
Hopefully Nikki will respond as she has them in her trailer and used them diagonally

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I had some BIG ole bug eyes, the first time I saw my CRs backend swapping back and forth on the trailer. I've got the bikeboot, and I've never tried to mount them diagonally. I've got a open 4x8 trailer and what I did was, I put a towel along the part of the side railing where the bikes swingarm will touch when it is pushed to the side. Then I push the bike to where the backend is butted up against the towel, and use one of the ratchet straps to hold it firmly secure (the bikes back end that is). This works perfect, and even helps when hauling 3 bikes. But then again, even with the boot locked down, I still have 3 tie downs holding the bike to the trailer :eek: I'm kinda paranoid

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We bought two from Bikeboot.com (actually bought them from a friend who deals them at the track) and Red made 2 more himself. We have the four of them diagonal in the 10' shop of our trailer (and used the four of them for 2 years in our old trailer diagonal as well). They are at about a 60-70 degree angle to the side wall of the trailer. All we do is pull the boot over the front tire and put a bungee cord from the locking "u" of the boot to the footpeg (so the boot doesn't work it's way open). We've never had a problem with side by side motion. Both trailer shops are on a slight incline as well so that may play a part in the lack of movement. When we take four bikes, we put a towel between the footpegs so they don't scratch the swingarm of the bike next to it - just incase.

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
The nice thing I found out about the BikeBoot is that he makes all the sizes, so you can pick up one for anthing from a 50cc pit bike to a full size MX bike. I bought 3, each a different size.

Nice guy, and if you buy direct you can later 'trade up' for a bigger size if needed for $20.

Mike

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I did end up mounting ours diagonal in the toyhauler and so far after 6K of towing not a single problem.
I bought direct and have all good things to say aboout bikeboots owner Steve.
If you look in the other thread about bikeboots I posted pics of his releasable mount

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I have 3 Bike Shoes in the back of the RV and 4 in the trailer (mounted at a little less than 45 degrees from sideways). The Bike Shoe looks to be a better mount, but only for 21" wheels.

I've only had 1 bike come undone and that was one that wasn't "grabbed" sufficently by the person who put it in the trailer (and it had a flat tire).

I run them without tiedowns in the RV and trailer, but would use extra tiedowns if mounted in the open.

With either one, make sure they are mounted to a sturdy piece of floor. The 3 in the RV are bolted to the diamondplate floor and the ones in the trailer have their forward bolt through a frame member.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Can someone answer my question?

I have a full sized KDX220
my GF has a KX100

I want to buy two bikeboots to carry those tow bikes BUT I also want to be able to carry a second full sized bike sometimes when my GF is working and a buddy wants to bring his bike in my trailer.

So will a KX100 work with the full sized carrier? Or will a full sized bike work with the KX100 sized carrier? Or am I out of luck with this setup and wil have to buy three of them?

Thanks,
Phil

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
My wife has a 03KX100 (inverted forks) and my sister has a 91KX107(conventional forks). I have bike shoes in my trailer and truck. The 03 can be clamped in the bike shoe, however the locking bar can not be pulled all the way back as it wil not quite fit between the forks. The bike shoe will not work at all on the 91 because the clamp for the wheel will not fit between the forks. I have no experence with bike boots so I don't know about clamping a big bike in a small bike clamp. I will watch this thread because I would like to set up something that will work with both KX100's.

Top Bottom