Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I've read/seen lots of no-toil threads, but, has anyone seen or know about other manufacturers of the same type of stuff? My buddy just bought a Honda air filter kit kit (I have not seen it) and he says the cleaner is powder you mix w/water. If Honda is in it I wonder if Yamaha is? I checked their websites but neither Honda nor Yamaha show anything bio-degrade. I'm considering switching but have heard filters fall apart (certain ones) when using no-toil. I also heard that no-toil was a soap-base and was curious if it would thin if wetted and enter the cylinder causing washdown. Lots of questions, mainly curious bout other manufacturers.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I believe Honda uses No Toil. It's alcohal based and WILL NOT wash off with out the powdered cleaner. There are lots of threads in the products forum on this.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I think the filter that falls apart your talking about are the actual No-Toil filters. When No-Toil first came out, if you bought the package, it came with a coupon you sent in for a free air filter for your bike. They were a little lesser quality. I have one, and it's just fine. I've been using No-Toil for about 4 years now and have never had any problems, I love it.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
That's cool, I wonder what cleaner is. I'll bet the cleaner part of the equation is a common chemical available at lesser cost somewhere. I'll get the MSDS and find out. I'm planning on making the switch and don't mind paying for the oil and rim grease but usually cleaners can be had other ways.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Actually, the filter that was falling apart the most were Uni's. A dealer told me that Uni ask them not to sell No - Toil products in their shop if they were to sell Uni filters. I had Uni come apart,but have had no problem with Twin Air or No Toil filters. I see that Twin Air now has a bio-degragable kitbut I havn't tried it. Havn't heard about or seen the Honda kit but I will ask next time I'm up there. I will continue to use No Toil or some other like product, the clean up is just too...well...clean.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The cleaner is a bit stronger than your usual laundry detergent, try pouring some in your hand and feel the power, it'lll burn! I imagine it's loaded up with lye.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
In a pinch I have used rubbing alcohol as a cleaner for the No-Toil oil. It breaks down the oil quickly, and is dirt cheap. My only concern is what it would do to my Twin Air filter over a long period of time.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I have the Twin air stuff and a new filter but won't be using/testing it for a couple weeks and won't have really good idea how I like it for a couple months.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Really want to hear about that when you get it tested, where did u get it? I've just requested MSDS sheets for all the No-Toil products. I'll bet the cleaner is TSP or a similar cleaner as used in Castrols "Super Clean". These bases are easily bought in bulk at a fraction of the cost.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
For what its worth... I'm on my forth or fifth bottle of the No-Toil oil and I'm still using the same bottle of cleaner, so I would not say the price of the cleaner is much of an issue.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the UNI filters come apart no matter what system you use.

i like the NoToil system- i go through 3 oil to 1 cleaner and grease- i have 4-5 filters per bike andd just put them all in the washing machine at once when dirty

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The cleaner is a bit stronger than Tide powered laundry detergent. You can cut the cleaner with Tide to make it last longer. I have 3 filters that I wash all at once and a 1/4 cup of the cleaner will do several filters. A quick wash with dish soap helps for a final cleaning when they are extra dirty.

Zero

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 1999
The "Honda Foam Filter Oil" is not biodegradeable. I saw a bottle of the stuff ont he shelf the other day, there is a big warning stick on the bottle that says "this stuff is harmful to the environment" (well, not exatly that, but thats what they were getting at with their disclaimer)

It can be cleaned with soap and water per the instructions on the bottle.

I use No Toil.

UniFilters use cheap glue to hold their filters together. The Alcohol in the No Toil breaks it down, thus they fall apart.

The new filters from No Toil are fine.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Originally posted by Zero
The "Honda Foam Filter Oil" is not biodegradeable. I saw a bottle of the stuff ont he shelf the other day, there is a big warning stick on the bottle that says "this stuff is harmful to the environment" (well, not exatly that, but thats what they were getting at with their disclaimer)

It can be cleaned with soap and water per the instructions on the bottle.

I use No Toil.

UniFilters use cheap glue to hold their filters together. The Alcohol in the No Toil breaks it down, thus they fall apart.

The new filters from No Toil are fine.

I've got the No Toil style Honda oil filter oil right here and it says it's Biodegradeable. "Wash dirt and oil down the drain with no harm to the environment. Non-toxic, and Cruelty free" I guess that means they didn't pour it on puppies eyes or something. :silly: You're probably talking about the other style filter oil.

It's true about the cleaner. You usually have tons left after the oils gone. I wouldn't mess too much with trying to find an alternative source for it.

Honestly, this Honda stuff looks Exactly like No Toil.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
So how are you guys using the cleaner, mixing it up or just sprinkeling it on the filter? I sprinkle myself.

Zero

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 1999
Ummm, I musta missed the Biodegradeable part on the label, or like you said, maybe it was something else? I dunno.

No Toil was first on the market with it. I am sticking with them. Give the little man some love!

I usually throw the filters in the washing machine and just dump some cleaner in with it and call it good. When I used to clean it in the sink, I would fill up with hot water and dump some in depending on how many filters I cleaned.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
:yeehaw:

Last edited:

Top Bottom