Bit of burn't cardboard in engine dangerous?

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
Hi all,

I have been having alot of troubble with my 03 CR250 leaking splooge from the header/chamber connection. I have been told by my dealer that if I got a bit of cardboard from a breakfast cerial box I could make a gasket to go inbetween resulting in no leaks :).

This sounded fine to me, I think we have all herd the story of the cheap gasket :D.

Thing is, if some of the cardboard was to make its way into the chamber, what would happen? Im assuming it would burn, and then be blown away without a problem. But what if it finds its way into the engine?

This a good idea or is my dealer a moron?

Thanks
James

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont think It would make it in. If it did, ???? But why not seal the area with soem of the red high-temp silicon sealer? The stuff holds up well.

If you are talking about the stock Honda gasket, they leak a lot less if you coat them with the copper gasket sealer.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Before you do anything get the bike jetted correctly. The bike needs to be leaned out considerbly. Also go with a quality synthetic 2 stroke. My bike did that also when new and I adjusted the jetting and it hasn't done it since. I use Honda HP2 mixed at 40:1. I also started to burn race gas. Race gas is good because it evap point is lower. I started using sunoco 100 octane. It is oxygenated. Again jetting is key.

Erik
2002 Cr250

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If you want to seal it good, use some High Temp RTV gasket maker like Rcannon said.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Silocone RTV will still break down when fuel or oil hits it. That's a trait of silicone.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
That may be so, with prolonged exposure BUT, I as well as MANY others have used RTV (Permatex Ultra Copper or other high heat RTV's) on their 2-Stroke exhausts with good effect. I have had the RTV on mine for a whole year and it doesn't leak, nor did it the year before I just put new stuff on when I took the pipe off.
Bottom Line, Using RTV to seal the pipe is an easy effective cost efficient way to do it.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Black and red permatex are resistant to fuel if you allow it to cure fully first. I have used this for all bikes I have owned that leaked there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…