justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Just a short report about the enduro held by the Tulsa Trail riders at Scipio OK. I was on row 8 with Lorin and craig_enid, and Lorin's friend Glen. The race format was 2 loops for short course and three for long course. We were all short course riders. We left the start and quickly figured out the trails were going to be really nasty. Lots of rocks and the thirty hours of rain they had until Friday night made what dirt there soup.

The first loop was fun. Twelve mile an hour average with e few pauses. I had computer problems so was relying on the other guys to help me out. It worked. At one point I was leading (for some reason) when Lorin came up behind me hollaring GO GO GO. So I went. A few turns later there was a tie breaker check. I carded an 8.32. Two seconds off. I then took off and was riding an easy pace when some guys on row ten came by me. I got on the gas and passed them and ended up carding a 9 on the next check. I rode the rest of the loop hard and fast. The trails were tight at the end of the loop, new trails that were hard to follow. Not alot of ruts on the first loop. Just rocks and tight trees.

When I started the second loop it was obvious that it was going to be a matter of survival. The first couple of miles had four guys stuck. The ruts were bad. quagmire after quagmire with wet slippery rocks between and lots of tight trees with face slappers.

I knew with the speed average going up to fifteen and then 18 that the computer didn't matter at all. I rode all out for the entire second loop. No stopping in the nastiest gooy mud there is. The bad spots would be twenty feet wide with ruts throughout them.

I ended up dropping a total of 96 points for second in my class. I was somewhere around fifth overall C. There were probably 200 riders there and around thirty finished total. They stopped the race after the second loop. The chairman of the race said "they've had enough". I'd had too much.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Whew! The first loop kicked my tail! I couldn't keep my speed up, ended up paddling along in first gear, using alot of energy. Every once in awhile, I could get in second or third and start making time, but would bobble around on the rocks and loose speed. Had to pull the KDX out of two ruts, lifting the front wheel out, then dragging the rear away from the rut to catch my breath, and take off. After check out a mile 16, my goal was to not hour out before the end of the first loop. Barely made that.....
Most difficult race I've done.
Area is very rocky, should be a good course when not fighting the mud.
http://community.webshots.com/album/36706994WIxVwL

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
http://community.webshots.com/photo/36706994/36707377UaRZBg

Thats what I remember. Lots of sections worse than the one pictured. Sorry I didn't to talk to you after the race craig. Second loop KICKED MY BUTT. Really, really bad. I couldn't go fast enough to get up on top of the rocks on the second loop. Made it tough sledding. Only a couple of guys finished your class craig. The winner in your class dropped 113 points.

Calcaneus

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
Great pictures Craig! Thanks for the report guys. Looks like you had lots of fun. OCCRA is running a x-country there next weekend and I think I'm going to try to make it. Maybe it will be dried just enough to be perfect.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
They are going to have to do alot of work on the trails before anyone can race there again. Big ruts. We followed alot of OCCRA arrows. Sorry we ruined your race. :p

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
justql,
i think your are setting me up by telling me im ready for an enduro. sounds like a place that would make cry for my momma.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Tulsa Trail Riders Moto: We Like Rocks!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Tulsa Trail Riders Moto: We Like Rocks!

gluttons for punishment. :eek:
my foot is still swollen from my rock encounter last week. :|

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Nothing against your abilities guys, but this was a race for hard core enduro riders (aka idiots). Craig said it was the worst he had done, I think it made the top three for me.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
OH Boy! Can't wait for our OCCRA race this weekend, sounds like it's in perfect condition. :)

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by Calcaneus
Great pictures Craig!
I can't take credit for the pics, Calcaneus, that goes to Mary.
She also gets credit for me doing the Indian Nations, NEXT year. It's a great feeling to get back to camp and have everything packed and ready to go. Then catch a 30 minute nap on the turnpike while she drives to the first Sonic we can find for a burger and a blast. It REALLY made the DNF tolerable.

All you OCCRA guys, throw a camera into the fanny pack, show us BJEC guys the trail WE missed!

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hmmmmm. Yummy.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Fanny pack? Camera? We don't have many photo ops during a cross country! Then again I did spend 2 or 3 minutes just laying on the ground at the last one, but I don't think my photography skills would have been up to par since I didn't have any air in my lungs.

How rough and choppy did it get? Are we talking Gruber style rocks or what, give me an idea of what kind of setup I need.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
For those that rode with us at Muesnter a couple of weeks ago. This trail was like the section that Jay bent his radiator on. Almost half of the race was, the rest was muddy like craig's pictures.

Steve was second overall. Drew Chandler won the overall by two SECONDS.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Must be springtime. every ride report is mud,mud,mud. Except mine. Swift and I found perfect traction......occasionally.....between waterholes.
although our shovel work did help a lot.

WOODSGUY

Sponsoring Member
Mar 20, 2000
This was a tough one.I signed up on row 38. I zeroed the first 3 checks then burned the fourth by a minute. The second loop is the hardest I have ever worked on a motorcycle. I zeroed the fifth check then at check six I dropped one, came in eight seconds off. Shortly after I buried my bike and bulldogged it out. I stopped at mile 19 to let the rest of the free time we got at 16.2 run out. After catching my breath I felt as though I would be able to make it just fine. Somewhere around mile 21 I hit the wall and began heaving gatorade. I figured that was the end of the day for me as I knew the third loop was out of the question.

Steve Levain and Drew Chandler both dropped three with Drew edging Steve by 15 seconds. John Simons carded a 4.

I thought the Tulsa Trail Riders gave us something that we dont see much of anymore, a tough enduro. For those that say they ride for fun and this was not fun, well the throttle turns both ways and you can always head back to the truck. A few guys are ripping the event on the Black Jack website. I for one will be back next year, they beat me this year. The only problem is I have to wait a year to tackle it again.

For you OCCRA guys I met Brad Wilson a AA guy in your series, I beleive this is his name, Saturday night. He and his dad were trying to get an ICO computer programmed. I offered to let him ride on my row, so he wouldnt have to time keep. Super nice fellow. He hung back and let me do the timekeeping and seemed to pick up on enduro riding fairly well. Luckily he was far enough back when I burned the check so I only did myself in.

CarrolD

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I race against Brad in OCCRA and you're right he and his dad are good guys, but then again there are not many bad guys in the offroad circle. How did Brad do? Guess I should have been there to warm up for the race, but sounds like I saved myself from a whippin'.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Ditto on the enduro. Pure ugly, kind of similar to Chadwick except that there wasnt much good dirt to provide traction - just rocks, tree roots, and creek crossings. I may actually try again next year though. The ruts and mud were unbelievable! From what I saw of the Occra course, their loop wont hit most of the uglier stuff that we saw.

Smitty - if you plan on riding that cross country, you might consider softening up your suspension a few clicks. Lots of square edged rocks (aka gruber) and creek crosssings. I was sure glad to have a steering damper for this ride. Other than that, maybe you could mount up a paddle tire! Pay close attention to the trail markers, as quite a few people missed the trails or confused our arrows with Occra's. Hopefully, the trail will be a little better now, since it has been ridden a little.

Last edited:

WOODSGUY

Sponsoring Member
Mar 20, 2000
Smitty,
I agree, hard to find someone in the offroad world not a good guy.I beleive Brad carded an 18. From the start he took off like it was a hare scramble. I rode right behind him for about half a mile. Then it got ugly and I went on around him. At the 3 mile marker I was there about a minute and a half when he came up. He as well as other commented how tough just the first three miles were. I did not say anything as I knew it was only going to get worse as the day went on. He rode a good bit back of me all day as I would get to riding a little hot and stop, it would take him a minute to catch back up. For someone not used to riding sloppy rock strewn trails they got and eye opener Sunday.

But, Do not let us scare anyone away from there. They had a tough 25 mile loop. Inside that loop was some awsome trail. The trail from the first check back a little was was nice, kind of flowed through the trees then up a challenging hill. Between mile about 17 and nineteen was nice as well. as was about from mile three for ways. Between check seven and the end was good trail as well.

The problem was this was new terrian and with the monsoon they got it only made it worse. New trail is affected more by rain because the ground is soft already. If it had been dry then everyone would be raving about this enduro. The rocks to me just were not that bad. But rocks mixed with mud, to the point the rocks are buried in 6 inches of mud you have to paddle through can make it tough.

I am willing to bet that the Tulsa guys are there now pieceing together the awsome trail and you guys are will have great race.

CarrolD

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I am actually expecting a pretty good track. Most of the problems sound like the normal woes of a fresh cut trail, plus rain. Everytime we lay out new fresh trail in loamy soil it's gonna end up choppy and rutty until it gets worked in. Glad to hear Brad wasn't too smokin' fast maybe I'll be able get ahead of him on Sunday. :)

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Can someone tell me how long the drive out there is from Norman/OKC?

Apr 12, 2000
The Tulsa Trail Riders may not give you a fun ride, but they will ALWAYS give you one that you will remember. Don't worry about the cry babies, you will never hear the winners complaining.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom