kytrailrider

Feb 25, 2008
What can I do to stop the black goo from coming out of the exhaust? What is it? Unburnt fuel ? I've used a 32:1 mixture and now runnung 40:1. any suggestions? :whoa:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You can play with the premix ratio until you are blue in the face, won't help.

Stick with a ratio and jet accordingly.

The spooge is happening because you are too rich. Make sure any mechanical issues are fixed and get the jetting right, and you will get rid of spooge.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
A two-stroke engine will always produce spooge. You may be able to reduce the amount of spooge.....by playing with ratios, with different oils, with jetting...... but since every two-stroke burns oil (that's what spooge is: oil residue), every two-stroke WILL produce spooge. It's a consequence of their design.

If you can't stand the spooge, you have one alternative: a four-stroke.
Sorry, but them's the facts.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I surely do not buy the story that all 2 strokes produce spooge, sorry. Fix the engine, mix the suggested ratio with quality fuel, jet the engine, no spooge. Ride it for what it was intended for helps also.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
KDX's spooge, period. I've been round and round with mine, if you jet it to get rid of the spooge it's going to run like poop. People smarter than me have had the same results time and time again. A little spooge is perfectly fine. The best thing for you to do is clean and repack your silencer, and make sure the jetting is spot on. This will reduce the amount of spooge, but I'd still expect a little.

Simmons1

Jan 25, 2009
I run 50 to 1 Amsoil in my KDX and I continue to be surprised at how little spooge and smoke I get.

If you want to see spooge and clouds of smoke you should see what comes out the back of my '72 H2 750. The H2 would bring Al Gore to tears.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I know! My buddy just got an EXC200. We leaned the jetting a bit to run 40:1 and it does great. Neither of us were comfy with the ridiculous 60:1 or whatever it called for.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I'm not a big fan of lean oil/fuel ratios. I run my KDX at recommended 32:1. I get spooge even though my bike runs great. I have the jetting leaned out. when I tried leaning it more to cut down on spooge and smoke, it bogged badly and ran like crap. Current plug reading is about perfect with some spooge and smoke. I think KDX's are weird like that. I have stock pipe and silencer. I always suspected the stock silencer collects oil and causes some excess spooge and smoke.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Sandman 2.0 said:
I'm not a big fan of lean oil/fuel ratios. I run my KDX at recommended 32:1. I get spooge even though my bike runs great. I have the jetting leaned out. when I tried leaning it more to cut down on spooge and smoke, it bogged badly and ran like crap. Current plug reading is about perfect with some spooge and smoke. I think KDX's are weird like that. I have stock pipe and silencer. I always suspected the stock silencer collects oil and causes some excess spooge and smoke.

This has been the experience of just about every person i've talked to or read about as far as trying to jet the KDX for no spooge. You MUST jet it for best performance, and a little bit of smoke and spooge won't hurt anything. Just clean it up after each ride. A little bit of mix gas on a rag will clean it right off, then wash as normal. Regular cleaning and repacking of the silencer is about the best thing you can do as far as getting rid of the spooge.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
In my opinion it's about impossible to get rid of spooge on a 2 stroke running a spark arrestor, and still difficult to on a straight thru silencer.

I had my KDX jetted about perfect (would change it darn near every ride) and it still spooged. I normally ran 40:1 for single track, 32:1 when I knew I'd be abusing it (dunes, faster sand wash/trails).

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I run 50:1 in my 94 engine and still get plenty of goo. If your bike runs well and isn't fouling plugs then I would leave it alone. If you race then tweak till your happy. BTW, with all the goo and lugging the engine every now and then with climbing hills and such I haven't fouled a plug in 2 years of riding.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
20:1 and loving the smell, but I should start buying 55 gallon drums of 927 though, cheaper. The motor feels stronger. The guys dropping ratios to circumvent spooge, and then blowing more gas in, jeez wtf? BUT, yeah, a low compression engine on regular pump fuel and a garbage can forestry approved spark arrestor, and not clearing the motor out once in awhile, spooge city. In 05 we had a 2000 rm 250, after the engine was gone through thanks to Eric Gore, that baby ripped, indoor racing requires smokeless premix, and guess what, stock ratio suggestion, no spooge, no smoke, PFFFFFT! They can sure make a boat engine spooge less also. The kdx is seemingly stuck in between a race bike and a boat engine, had to have a compromise? OR, I should keep an eye out for a kdx200 or something and fiddle with it and see?

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
julien_d said:
/me cringes again

Just one question. Why? I'm 99.9% sure that the manufacturer of that 94 engine suggests a ratio of around 32:1.

One thing to try and wrap your head around is that oils in general are 300% better today than they were fifteen years ago.

We've all had mixing ratio debates before so lets not turn this thread into one.

For the average rider Kawasaki decided that 32:1 was more than adequate and have stuck with that theory.

If more or less works for your type of riding then thats up to you to decide.

Have a great day :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
NCRFC, got any data to back up the 300 percent statement? Well, except amsoils bs. What do these bikes do with all that extra gas that lowering the mix ratio puts in? Put smaller jets in? That would be a capitol idea, especially giving most of these are rider error or a mechanical issue somewhere. Far from perfect, but working at it every day, Bob. PS, I am really thinking stupid this morning about a friendly wager on one of these poor kdx spooge blowing things.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I surely do not buy the story that all 2 strokes produce spooge, sorry.
Oh, it's true, all right.
All 2-strokes burn their lubricating oil. Therefore, all 2-strokes produce burnt oil residue, since no oil just "disappears" when it's burnt (Law of Conservation of Energy). Some engines produce less observable residue than others, depending on state of tune, amount of oil, type of oil, etc. but every 2-stroke produces it.
Unless, of course, you attempt to run straight gasoline instead of pre-mix...... :)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm with foxforks 100% on this one. 300% better? Who says? Sure there have been improvements in technology, I agree. However, there is a simple truth regarding 2t motors that I wish people would keep in mind. A proper amount of oil in the mix allows for a greater seal between the rings and cylinder, creating higher compression and giving you more power and a happy engine. Exactly what benefit are you expecting from running less oil? There is none, except for maybe a dollar or two saved on mixing oil. It certainly will not result in less spooge, assuming that the engine is jetted correctly for the ratio that is being used.

Maybe I'm just old and stuck in my ways. Anyway, not trying to start a debate. I'm just letting the OP know that running less oil is NOT the solution to his problem, regardless of the oil companies hype.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
NCRFC, got any data to back up the 300 percent statement? Well, except amsoils bs. What do these bikes do with all that extra gas that lowering the mix ratio puts in? Put smaller jets in? That would be a capitol idea, especially giving most of these are rider error or a mechanical issue somewhere. Far from perfect, but working at it every day, Bob. PS, I am really thinking stupid this morning about a friendly wager on one of these poor kdx spooge blowing things.

Only that I've worked for a major oil company for the last ten years and was in the Automotive R&D field for twenty years prior .

But whatever you say is fine with me ,,,, Have a great day :cool:

May 10, 2007
mudpack said:
Oh, it's true, all right.
All 2-strokes burn their lubricating oil. Therefore, all 2-strokes produce burnt oil residue, since no oil just "disappears" when it's burnt (Law of Conservation of Energy). Some engines produce less observable residue than others, depending on state of tune, amount of oil, type of oil, etc. but every 2-stroke produces it.
Unless, of course, you attempt to run straight gasoline instead of pre-mix...... :)

wrong law. you meant the law of conservation of matter. the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. the matter one is the one that says matter cannot be created or destroyed...hence the name.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I never worked in any refinery, but I drive by one a lot! Routine maintenance on any 2 stroke race bike I have owned, no oil residue, clean. Now my beater bikes, that I have not fixed yet, spooge city, and I know its not the oil ratios fault. I learned on my first year xr-75, 2nd bike. I killed that poor bike, put near a zillion miles on it. Routine maintenance, lots of it. Way more time wrenching than riding. Then the next 2 I learned about hair brained guy figuring modifications/bolt on miracles. Tune the engine stock, and set up the suspension for your ability/weight. But it was not until I started using Eric Gorr for engine work in 85 that I finally found some solid information. And yet, since being around here since 06, at an astoundingly repetitions cycle, the spooge and oil ratio geniuses keep coming out of the wood work. No kdx pun intended!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Simmons1 said:
If you want to see spooge and clouds of smoke you should see what comes out the back of my '72 H2 750. The H2 would bring Al Gore to tears.
I feel sure that if Al Gore understood what a milestone of a bike the H2 was, even he wouldn't mind the smoke. Just wish I had one too.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If there was 1 street bike to own, it would be the Kaw or Suzuki 2 stroke 750. I know a guy with a showroom condition Suzuki, if I fall into an extra bucket of cash?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
flyingfuzzball said:
wrong law. you meant the law of conservation of matter.

Ooops! You are quite correct.
What WAS I thinking....?

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
If there was 1 street bike to own, it would be the Kaw or Suzuki 2 stroke 750.

The Suzuki 750 was (even in 1973) an overweight, ill-handling, slow, water-cooled pig affectionately known as the Water Buffalo. It was more touring bike than street fighter.

By comparison, the Kawasaki H2 was an ill-handling, air-cooled pig that was NOT slow...at least, not by 1970 standards. By today's standards it is.
A good running stock 2009 650 twin will crush it.

Top Bottom