wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i was reading the "Two Stroke Performance Tuning" book by A. Graham Bell, and i found that he is talking about how black paint radiates heat quite well, now i knew this part, but i wasn't sure of this following quote, this is from the lubrication and cooling section: "Fins and crankcases painted flat black radiate heat considerably better than shiny silver surfaces"

so would painting my bare aluminum radiators flat black help at all w/ colling, or is this only apply to the clyinder and cases them selfs? :coocoo:

i always though bare aluminum was better...
i was told that a motor w/ multiple coats of paint will run hotter b/c the heat is try to "escape" the think layers of paint, instead of just escaping the bare metal, and having nothing to "travel through" :coocoo:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I am a little skeptical, I do know that a car with a light colored interior is more comfortable to get in on a hot summer day that one with a dark interior. Also, most aluminum parts are not what I would consider shiny. Finally, if a black radiator would perform better than a natural aluminum one, then why are all of the high performance radiators made for cars or bikes not painted? Griffin radiators are the first that come to mind.

Top Bottom