Black soot on crank. Opinions anyone??

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I have just torn down my old DT 250 to replace the rod,(which I'll send to EG) and noticed the crank and bearing is coated with a black gummy soot. It has about 20 hrs. on new top end. Would like to hear opinions about jetting etc.

Thanks, Jim

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My bet would be that your filter maintenance over the years may not have been the best. Sounds like a bit of a dirt paste to me.

What brand of oil are you using?

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I have been using YamaLube 2s. This bike still has oil injection hooked up. I can't say about filter maintanence before the last two years, but I change/clean the filter after every ride or two depends on the conditions.
I use no toil. I even do the grease ends thing.

Hummm??? Well, thanks for the input.

Jim

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
There might have been some blowby past the ring from the combustion.
How does your last ring and piston look? The previous owner may have ridden a long time on a bum set-up. Now is the time to mic everything and see what's worn out.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Jaybird,

The last ring and piston show a small amount of discoloration about 3/4" below the ring. This whole top end only had 20 hours on it. Had it bored by EG. It (the gunk)probably came from the previous piston & ring which I don't know how much time they had on them. From the difference between power before and after it must have be quite a lot. I didn't notice any rattle noises from ring or piston. I just have the knock on a freewheel deceleration that I think is the rod. I can feel no noticeable up and down movement from the lower end of the rod but the top end seems to be loose. When I did the top end this spring I replaced the top rod bearing with the piston. I am assuming the top is worn enough to cause the knock.

Thanks for your input,
JIM

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…