Blair & transfers

Quinny

Jun 11, 2002
The Blair book produces two targets for transfers, a lower and a higher, but doesn't explain where the difference is between them. Which target should I take or should I stay between these two?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
You could look at the two different targets as "states of tune". Professor Blair uses examples in the text of some of his two-stroke books, ranging from GP roadracers to off-road.
If you give me an example engine, I'll tell you time area values that work and why for that particular engine application. Just look at the differences in engine specs between an Honda RS125 roadracers and a CR125.

You guys are encouraged to check out some of Professor Blair's writings, you can search his name at Amazon; ( Blair, Gordon P.) or at the SAE's book store www.sae.org

My three favorite Blair books are

PT26, written in the late 1970s, a collection of research papers performed at the Queen's University of Belfast. The best paper was one about transfer duct shape and profiles for scavenging efficentcy and different powerbands.

Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines, written in the late 1990s, this book focuses on the use of simulation programs for individual components and working all together.

Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines, written most recently, this book features cases studies of engines ranging from world superbike to IRL. This is a thumper guys' bible. It will take you 10 years to read and maybe you'll understand it. Very technical and expensive but worth it weight.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
PT26, written in the late 1970s, a collection of research papers performed at the Queen's University of Belfast. The best paper was one about transfer duct shape and profiles for scavenging efficentcy and different powerbands.

eric: do they do a lot of 2 and 4 stroke small engine research at Queens, Belfast? I think it was last year that Jeremy McWilliams was racing a 250 in the roadrace world GP's and i remember his team was entitled the Queens University Belfast team or something similar. I thought this was strange at the time, is this the connection? it would be cool if writing ones PhD thesis involved writing up the results of the testing of a world GP bike!

Quinny

Jun 11, 2002
Eric,
Ermm, well, ... It's actually a 3.5cc racing glow engine for a model boat! The tuning of these engines has become a fairly serious business and is now even receiving input from people at QUB.
We tend to study anything and everything that is available to us in terms of information on all aspects of 2 stroke tuning which is why I thought that I would look outside of the industry with a view to getting some assistance with this issue. Hope you don't mind!
I suppose that the closest "big" engine would be something like a rotax from a Personal Watercraft, but that industry seems to be focussed on Bolt-On power and "black magic" rather than discussing the technical issues.
Just to give some perspective, the target rpm for this motor on a reduction gearbox is ~ 35k rpm!
The question has come about as a result of looking at one stock motor. If you calculate the BMEP of the transfers based on the upper target, it looks very high and out of balance. If you take it on the lower target, the BMEP is a little low but not too bad. There is a very mixed opinion as to which is the preferred approach (and why!).
Thanks
Quinny

Last edited:

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
bclapham
How about a PhD thesis on winning a world championship in karting? There is a professor at Queen's named Robert McKee who wrote a paper on an inertia dyno and the engine development that he performed over the course of a season in the karting world championships.
Queen's has several dyno cells that run constantly. Some of the research is performed by students but most is sponsored by industry. Yamaha and Mercury are big supporters of QUB's engine research center.
QUB has published many SAE papers on two-stroke engines used in GP roadracing competition.
Check it out, its good stuff ;)

Quinny,
Those little 3.5cc glow plug engines are way over my head. I can't even imagine how they even function. I'll bet QUB is working on a simulator program for these types of engines. Good luck

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…