BLM meetings in California & Arizona. Please help.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
We have some public hearings comming up from 7PM-10PM that are extremely important. If you can attend any of these hearings bring your wife, girlfriend, kids, friends, neighbor, neighbors wife, postman or whoever. These hearings are based on the future of Glamis but could also dictate how future riding areas could be managed. For more info http://www.glamisonline.org/ There is a hearing on the 11th in Long Beach, California which will be the closest meeting to Orange County. Feel free to copy, email, and post this message on other boards.

I'll be attending the Long Beach meeting this Thursday (4-11). If anyone else is interested in going let me know and mybe we can go as a group.

BLM has scheduled six hearings to gather public comment on the documents. The hearings will be held from 7PM to 10PM on the following dates and locations:

Tuesday April 9
City Council Chambers
1275 Main Street
El Centro, California

Thursday, April 11
The Grand
4101 East Willow Street
Long Beach, California 90815

Monday, April 15
Phoenix College
1202 West Thomas Road
Phoenix, Arizona

Thursday, April 18
Brawley City Council
225 A Street
Brawley, California 92227

Tuesday, April 23
Yuma Civic & Convention Center
1440 W. Desert Hills Dr.
Yuma, Arizona

Thursday, April 25
Marriott Mission Valley
8757 Rio San Diego Dr.
San Diego, California 92108

BLM's alternative plans listed below for Glamis!!!!!!!

Table 2-1 Plan Area Management Actions
(applicable to all Management Areas for Alternatives 2, 3, and 4)improve the plans.
Air Quality Implement dust control measures on wash roads and install air
monitoring equipment for ozone and PM10
Transportation/Traffic Grade roads and implement fee entry and construct traffic control
Public Safety • Create a law enforcement cooperative team
• Increase permanent staff and holiday staff to address the increases
in visitor use of major holidays
• Ban alcohol outside camping areas
• Establish a sundown to sunup closure at Competition Hill north
and south, Oldsmobile Hill, Test Hill, and Patton Valley
• Post speed limits
• Develop and maintain radio system
• Continue existing condition of dispatching duties from Cahuilla
Ranger Station
Visitor Use • Establish ROS classifications and visitor use targets for
management areas
• Limit ISDRA use of OHVs if visitation exceeds proposed ROS
classifications Land Use Establish management areas with specific ROS classifications to meet
planning objectives
Commercial • Allow vending from October 1 through May 31 on Friday through
Sunday (exceptions made for major holidays)
• Do not allow nonrecreational commercial activities during the
holidays
Access and Facilities
Development
• Develop or retrofit facilities, in the appropriate ROS classes, to
accommodate visitation and meet all disability regulations and
standards
• Ensure that little or no development occurs in primitive areas
• Construct disability compliant trash collection facilities (and
loading docks)
Fiscal • Collect fees in all areas based on demand and cost recovery
• Review price structure every 2 years
• Update fee business plan within 2 years of ROD

This is in ALL Alternatives except #1.

#1. Leave it like it is.......

So who is willing to give up a night of watching Survivor to save our riding areas? I am!

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
At these meetings, what does just showing up do? Seriously, I'd go, but not make any comment. Eddie says I'm shy.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for posting this Tony.

zio. Just showing up does a lot of good. When we go to these meetings and there are 100+ of the anti-access group on one side and about 15 of us on the other, it shows the BLM and the people in charge that we really dont care.

There is strength in numbers. Just being there really helps and we are starting to make a difference.

They are giving us a chance to be heard. The rest is up to us.

Who else is planning on going?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Can you provide Names, email addesses for those of us too far away. I would like to have my thoughts known to the powers that be. Links, MAN, links!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
BSWFT.

For more information or to submit comments contact:

Jim Komatinsky
Bureau of Land Managment.
El Centro Field Office.
1661 South 4th St.
El Centro, Ca. 92243
760-337-4400

If you can't make the meeting, call or better yet, write a letter.

Also, the AMA is joining forces with the American Sand Assn., The Blue Ribbon Coalition, California Off Road Vehicle Association, Off Road Business Assn., San Diego Off Road Coalition and the Action Program.

They are taking action against the unfounded litigation brought on by the anti-access groups. If you really want to help, send a donation to the AMA to help in this fight.

For more info, check out the AMA website at, www.AMADirectlink.com

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
I was hoping to be able to make it to this meeting, but it looks like I'm going to be stuck at work. I want to send in a letter though. Ol'89r, should I write to the address you gave for Jim Komatinsky? I'm new to this whole thing though, so I'm going to need a little help. This is going to sound stupid, but I'm not as up on these issues as I should be. What should I say in this letter? I'd like to get involved and do what I can to help.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
YZandrew. Yes, a letter to Mr. Komatinsky would be a good way to start. Be very polite and respectful in your letter. Explain to him what a good family sport this is and how you and your family enjoy spending holidays together in the desert or wherever you like to go.

Also, remind him that this is public land. Paid for by the public and should be kept open for the public. Ask them to please not cave in to the anti-access groups and their unfounded litigation.

Go to the AMA link posted above and there is a wealth of information as to what to do.

Send donations to the AMA. They are going to match, dollar for dollar when we send money for the legal battles.

Thank you for getting involved.

Top Bottom