ParkBear

Jul 11, 2001
I don't post often but I figured that this was important. I just got a couple of e-mails about this subject. Not sure how much of it is true.

EMAIL:

Please spread this to as many SAND SPORT ENTHUSIASTS & RELATED BUSINESSES as possible. NOT ALL DUNE ENTHUSIASTS HAVE EMAIL. MANY WILL NOT GET THIS MESSAGE. You may have to make copies and mail them out. If you own a Sand Sport business, we urge you to send this to as many of your customers as possible.

THE NEXT 90 DAYS ARE CRITICAL TO YOUR FUTURE. Now is the time to get involved. You can make a difference. You can influence the future of the sport and your business opportunities. The BLM Draft Recreation Area Management Plan (DRAMP) for the Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area (ISDRA) will change your recreation and business opportunities forever. Our comments now will influence our freedoms in the future.

ABOUT THE PLAN

-- Will last for 10 to 15 years!
-- Includes VISITOR CAPACITY LIMITS, law enforcement objectives, DUSK TO DAWN CURFEWS and ALCOHOL USE LIMITATIONS that could be in place by Oct of 2002.
-- The Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) includes four management alternatives. The DRAMP is the BLM preferred alternative and is very restrictive.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Go to an ASA RAMP INFO MEETING (Different information than what will be presented at the BLM meetings.)
-- We will tell you times and places when available. The schedule of
meetings in your area will also be on the ASA websites
(www.americansandassociation.org and www.GlamisOnLine.org).
The ASA meetings will enable you to:
-- Get involved, become informed, and provide comments that make a difference.
-- Take the lead and encourage your duning friends and business associates to get involved.

GET UP TO SPEED

-- To see the plan go http://www.ca.blm.gov/elcentro/deis/ramp.pdf
-- To see the Environmental Impact Statement go to
http://www.ca.blm.gov/elcentro/isdra_deis.html
-- Call Jim Komatinshy (BLM) 760 377 4400 to get a copy, they are also available at Public Libraries.
-- Read the plan
-- Attend BLM RAMP info meetings, For the meeting schedule go to
http://www.ca.blm.gov/elcentro/isdradates.html
-- Send your comments to BLM. We have 90 days, so take the time to prepare
well-informed comments. The deadline is June 28th.
Send them to:
DRAMP Comments
Bureau of Land Management
El Centro Field Office
1661 S. 4th St.
El Centro CA 92243

GET INVOLVED --- MAKE A DIFFERENCE

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by ParkBear
-- Includes VISITOR CAPACITY LIMITS, law enforcement objectives, DUSK TO DAWN CURFEWS and ALCOHOL USE LIMITATIONS that could be in place by Oct of 2002.

While this 118 pg draft prints out, let me ask, Are you saying you're against having the 4 items imposed ?, I think thats exactly whats' needed and it's a good compromise to have them over turn the previously closed areas. I think just those 4 items alone would weed out alot of the trouble makers and open it up to some good, safe and sane dune riding.

JMO

What do you think ?

ParkBear

Jul 11, 2001
I'm not saying anything, just informing riders. I understand why they are trying to restrict this but I get worried when you give up any ground because how much will they take. They already shut half of it down because of a plant. These restrictions won't bother me much because I don't drink anywhere but camp and I stay as far away from the crowds as possible. Just thought people would like to know.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Well that actually might save Glamis and allow those that use the area to ride instead of partying to continue to do so. Here in Utah we have had similar situations because of too many people being out of control and leaving trash everywhere like for example Hobie beach at Lake Powell, Yuba Lake beach and now the talk is that after the 30,000 + at Little Sahara this Easter it will be next. Now, is this a bad thing maybe but after seeing first hand the aftermath at all three of these places and seeing the Thanksgiving photos of Glamis unless people can be more responsible limiting access especially on holiday weekends will have to be done to ensure the area remains open for those of us that are responsible and use it for what it is intended for and not just to go party and leave a mess.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Ok, I'm going to make a terrible stereotype here, but the dunes are FULL of goon riders on atv's. They get drunk, raise hell, ride around w/o helmets & double up riders etc. I don't want to see anything shut down, but the majority of people that frequent the dune areas have done it to themselves throughout the years.

Shutting half the park down due to a plant is just plain stupid, but unfortunately the greenie weenies have us on the rowdy behavior & driving while drunk/drinking issue. Cleaning up the dunes starts with us first, let's create some positive PR and maybe, just maybe the powers that be will be on our side for once.

Matt

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
They are going to reopen 15000 arces unlimited and another 35000 to limted access, this is good, and in doing so, imposing the above restrictions is also good, it's a give/give, win/win type of thing, I think.

I havn't read the entire draft yet

Top Bottom