Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
It's getting more difficult for me everyday to hold my tongue when I deal with my neighbor who insists on trying to prove that he's superior to me in dirt bike knowledge. Now, I certainly don't profess to know EVERYTHING, but I make every attempt to avoid going into areas that I'm not well versed on . . . especially after becoming a member here. However, this neighbor is getting on my nerves. This afternoon he crossed the line and shoved his foot so far down his throat that he needed surgery to remove it. He said...and I quote..." VP C-12 race gas is crap. You need to get gas that vaporizes well in the petcock". I nearly choked on that statement. If that wasn't enough, he went on to say that C-12 is no good above 8,500 RPM. I had all I could stand and asked him to prove that statement. He said he could if I wanted to see it on the web site. When he pulled it up, it wasn't C-12 that was described that way, it was another VP fuel . . . and yet he still insisted that C-12 was no good above 8,500 RPM. I've had it!:(

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
We have a guy that comes into our shop that's totally full of crap. At a level that you can't even imagine. (and if you're from Glasgow Montana, I guarantee you'll recognize these stories) heh

He expounded for an hour one time about how great Don Garlits was back in his 'flopper' days... {For the record, Garlits never drove funny cars}

Supposedly, in the attic of his garage in Texas, he has not one, but 2 hemi cuda's. Doesn't want to go get them, and also suprisingly enough, has no pictures.

Same guy claimed he has all kinds of knowledge on big block Chevy heads. Worked in an engine shop a few years back, so he said. He started talking crap about how he was gonna start forging and machining his own heads (in his garage mind you). Friend of mine finally got fed up and called the shop he claimed to work at. YEP, they remembered him... worst floor sweeper they ever had, kept forgetting to show up at work (you know how that kind of thing can slip your mind) ...and they fired him after about 2 weeks...

Same guy claims to have built from scratch a fully functional Radio Control Apache helicopter with onboard functional BB guns... (for those not in the know, that's about as impossible for mortal humans as sitting down at the computer to write a new operating system like windows... it just ain't possible)This same guy came into our hobby store and had me solder an end on a battery pack, because he didn't want to ruin it, and worse yet, he didn't know how... :scream:

We finally decided it's more fun to let him tell storys and laugh about it later than it is to point out the errors.

I think you're missing out on some great fun. I'd start fueling the fire and see how big a hole he can dig himself into.. :p

Oh yea, be sure and let us all know so we can chuckle with ya!!:)

Bman

Apr 28, 2000
stormer94 is right. Take advantage of it. There is nothing better than listening to these know-it-alls(nothing) keep on going and going until their face is blue and the BS leaving their mouth is in solid form. Don't take what he has seriously or try to prove him wrong(unless it will be easy to do). You can have a laugh at it that way.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Boit.

I agree with Bman and Stormer. Take advantage of it and have some fun with the guy.

A few years ago, my son-in-law brought a new friend of his over and introduced him to me. He knew I was involved in motorcycles, but, he did not know to what extent. He started telling me about all of the people he knew and all of the things he had done and places he had been and raced at and the sponsors that he had.

Well, the funny thing was, I also knew many of these people and talked to them on a regular basis. A lot of them really did know him, but, not from his riding abilities but from his BS abilities. Everyone just cracked up when you would mention his name.

Found out he did race, but, he would race the beginner class at a certain track until they wouldn't let him ride as a beginner anymore. So then he would go to a different track and sign up as a beginner until they wouldn't let him ride anymore. He thought he was so good that he shouldn't have to pay for anything and ripped off most of the people that tried to help him including me.

Guys like this do become famous, but, not in the way they think.;)

When you question him on some of his theory, make sure there is a group of people standing around at the time.:p

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Now I pride myself as being a good bull****ter, but I don't tell absolute lies about myself (except for maybe self-deprecating stuff), but I love these bull**** merchants who just keep shovelling it out! My kid'll tell stories about all the stuff he imagines he's done, and it's fun. But he's only six, and he's supposed to have a vivid imagination. When a guy gets into his teenage years and later, and starts spouting off about all his crap and accomplishments, well, that's downright funny! I get a kick out of these dolts who don't know S from shinola and they start giving information about what's what and how this and that works. I just egg 'em on, because its funny!

We have a guy in here that works for us that has done darn near everything in the world. And if he hasn't done it, his dad or one of his many uncles has. It's hil-freakin'-larious!

Just shrug it off and enjoy the laughs.:p

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
I once worked with a guy who SWORE that his "high performance car had a V-7 engine.

I dont get this too much about motorcycles but in my business you meet quite a few people who can spout an endless stream of bs about their "skills".

It is funny for a while.... :p

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Never let anything, as trivial as a lie, get in the way of a good story! :D

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Man today I was out riding in my backyard, I have a 156 foot table, and all of the sudden Mcgrath came out and asked if he could ride it with me(he is out here doing promotions and the guy at the shop told him about my track!!!)! I was like hell yah you can! But he never got past 120 feet( I am running a special 2 into 1 FMF on my Cr though! major top end!), I was kinda dissapointed at the time, but he said he'll be back next week! I got some pics but my scanner is still broken! Sorry! Oh yah he's bringing Lusk and Pastrana too! It will be sweet,
Ill let you guys know how it was:confused:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Gosh, JohnT I was totally buying that until I saw where you were from.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
idiots and their stories

I think everyone has run into these morons at one time or another. One time when I was riding my FZR 600, A guy pulled up next to me on a ratty old KZ 750, and challenged me to a race. Not really being into that sort of thing, I declined, stating that his bike had a larger engine, so it had a few more horsepower, and he would most likely win, so why bother (yes, I know, I lied;) ).He then proceeded to rant and rave that his bike had more than "just a few more horsepower" than my little p******* bike, his bike was bored out to an 1100, and made about 400 horsepower!:eek: At this point, I was mad at his insult of my bike, and his general stupidity, so I told him lets go! I walked away from him so badly, he gave up after about third gear, and I saw him turning around in my mirrors and heading the other way. It felt so good to show that moron up.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
My little brother used to do that--he talked about Ford C-4 four speeds and C-6 six speeds, and the classic "one powerband or two," and story after story. It pissed him off that I was the moto-head in the family but he never wanted to come out in the shop to help.

I can't remember any particularly juicy ones but I've been told many a story . . . by virtue of being female, of course, which means I must be a mechanical moron. Why, I'm just a girl, like I know what a carburetor is! :think

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
I read a quote in a newspaper several years ago that has come in handy many times , it states " You can't when an argument with an ignorant man."

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
You guys are right. It has been kinda funny at times, but it gets a little annoying after a while. This guy is 44 and should have outgrown that tendency to spout off like a kid. Here are a couple more examples of his junk. He wanted to weld up the ports on his Banshee and "cut" new ones of his own design claiming that he could make a ton more power than stock. He also wanted to take his CDI unit to an electronics repair shop(TV's and stereos) and have them "burn" in a new ignition curve MAP, again, of his design. We did have some heated words a few months ago when he stuck his nose in where it didn't belong. As he watched me fiddle with the fuel screw on my 426, he insisted that I was turning the screw in the wrong direction to lean out the circuit. I whipped out the service manual and had him turn to the page that describes this circuit and made him read it out loud. That's when I told him he would be well advised to know what he's talking about before he sticks his foot in his mouth again. He pouted for a few weeks and avoided me. Really broke my heart...;)

Last edited:

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Did you know that your 426 is really an old design thrown out by Honda in 1972. Ok Ok chill out I'm just joking. Keep your eyes in the Organized Rides Forum, we will be posting an upcoming ride for the weekend of the 25th/26th at either Breaux Bridge or New Iberia. It's time we all get together and meet.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Great, entertaining thread. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with: his mom was " the ambasssador to Argentina", and his father was retired from aerospace-"worked on several black projects". Just a couple of his many stories. He was a really nice guy that just needed to feel special in some way. (Not everyone is as talented as those of us that ride!):p

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I think I see a double standard here. You may think they are blowhards but some of us call it “bench racing”. :) We always ride faster, jump farther and generally did more when we talk after we went riding.:cool:

B

biglou

I can't remember who it was,;) but there was some guy claiming his bike was so good he had to buy $22 spark plugs!:scream:Yeah, right.:silly:

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Hey Lou I believe in 98 suzuki's RM's had to have special plugs made by suzuki, and they were 19 bucks!! (This is actually serious) Suzuki even put out press releases telling owners not to use NGK plugs!!!! I guess snoozuki were the blowhards there! because NGK worked fine

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The Bitterman Complex

We have a guy like that too. He can't EVER let someone have the last word. It's just irritating to me. :silly:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Bench Racing

We all expect a little embelishment when the riding stories start. I think a person reaches 'blowhard' status when it's obvious to the listener that the story is pure fiction.:D

Jul 12, 2000
Benchracing...

I met a guy at the track several months ago who could really turn a good tale. He rode a '99 YZ 400 that was beautiful, not a scratch in it (gee, I wonder why) and talked all kinds of crap about how it and the CR 250 he had would run circles around my YZ. Funny thing was, anytime someone called him out to the track and raced him, he would always come up with fairly persuasive arguments as to why he lost.

I later found out that he was a Recruiter for the Air Force (seriously!). I guess they must have found out his abilities to fill people full of b.s. and lead a persuasive argument...

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
I can have a bit of fun with this guy's incessant ramblings of ineptitude, but I'm getting fed up with his constant habit of borrowing. The bottom line is that he's CHEAP. To be fair, he offers to loan me anything I need, but I prefer to buy my own tools and equipment. He completely wore out one of my Dremel tool attachments and then denied there was anything wrong with it...and that he surely didn't cause it to be in such bad shape. He didn't abuse it, he just used it so much it wore out. It's the flexible cable attachment. Since he hasn't asked to borrow it again, he must be waiting for me to buy a new one.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Hey Boit, borrowing neighbors; that's a whole new flame I can relate to.
I finally had to tell one neighbor that I could no longer lend out power tools (such as my rototiller), as many of them were long in toothe, and we would both feel badly if one of them decided to take a c#@& while he was using it.There were some bad feelings at first, but I think he thought about it, saw my side about the wear and tear, and he eventually came around.

Top Bottom