shotback

Oct 3, 2007
Anybody have any suggestions. I'm working on a friends (hammered)1989 Kx250. I rebuilt the top end along with all new gaskets. After I got it back together and started it, white smoke just billowed out the exhaust. It did this before I took it apart along with barely having any compression. My first thought was head gasket leak, so I removed the head and sure enough it had coolant in the cylinder. I had my machinist check both head and cylinder for flatness and they are fine. It seems that the metal gasket is not sealing properly. After 2 new headgaskets I'm ready to, eventhough I don't like to, throw a thin bead of High-Temp
silicone on the cylinder and head and "hopefully" call it good. Any help would be appreciated.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Whoa, silicone RTV has lno place on head gaskets. It will just make a goopy mess. Use either a spray paint containing aluminum as a pigment or that copper spray on gasket sealant. Apply a light coat to both side of the gasket and allow it to dry for a couple of minutes before assembling.

shotback

Oct 3, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
Whoa, silicone RTV has lno place on head gaskets. It will just make a goopy mess. Use either a spray paint containing aluminum as a pigment or that copper spray on gasket sealant. Apply a light coat to both side of the gasket and allow it to dry for a couple of minutes before assembling.
I'll try the the spay on gasket sealant. Thanks!

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
there is a guy on that auction site that sells CNC'd copper head gaskets. they are cheap and look well made (plus you can reuse copper) might be worth looking into

shotback

Oct 3, 2007
Still Blowin Smoke!!

shotback said:
Anybody have any suggestions. I'm working on a friends (hammered)1989 Kx250. I rebuilt the top end along with all new gaskets. After I got it back together and started it, white smoke just billowed out the exhaust. It did this before I took it apart along with barely having any compression. My first thought was head gasket leak, so I removed the head and sure enough it had coolant in the cylinder. I had my machinist check both head and cylinder for flatness and they are fine. It seems that the metal gasket is not sealing properly. After 2 new headgaskets I'm ready to, eventhough I don't like to, throw a thin bead of High-Temp
silicone on the cylinder and head and "hopefully" call it good. Any help would be appreciated.
Got a oem head gasket which comes with sealant coating on it. Put it back together and still blowin white smoke. Any ideas? Frustrated!

IT1985

Oct 24, 2007
Bad oil seal...

it sounds like a bad oil seal, I used to have an IT 200 that did the exact same thing.

I believe that the seals are called wet side seals or crankshaft seals.

Top Bottom