Blown Hub, Easy Fix?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
My rear hub is I guess what you could call blown. I rode about half the summer last year with bad bearings, (insufficent funds to replace them, should have know better) and I guess all that riding took a toll on my hub. When I finnally got around to replacing them (I did buy the same sized bearing), they fit, but were loose. They move in all directions inside the hub about a 12th of a inch.

My question is, instead of replacing the whole rear hub (theyre pretty expensive), could I just bring it to a machine shop and get them to bore it out to a certain size, then get bearings that fit inside properly and have the right diameter inside to fit the axle?

Thanks,
Ryan.

EDIT: After doing a search on the subject, I have read that some people have had the hub bored out and a sleeve pressed in. To measure how much play there is, should I just stick a feeler gauge between the bearing outer race and inside of hub? (Just so I have a idea if the guy asks when I call the machine shop tomorrow) Would you reccomend this repair, or is there something better to do out there, short of buying a new hub?

Sorry for the long read,
Thanks!

Last edited:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The machine shop should be able to bore the hub a bit oversize and fit a sleeve so the stock bearings can still be used. If you can't afford to fix it properly and still want to ride, I have used quick aluminum putty to fill the gap in the hub. Worked for 1 1/2 years on my 99cr250 with no problems. I just put the putty around the bore of the hub, sprayed the outer race of the bearing with silicone lube (to keep it from sticking to the cured putty), and installed the bearing. Periodically I would pry the seal off of the outside of the bearing to keep fresh grease in it. Not the best fix, but a cheap, temporary one.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Hubs are more commonly repaired by machining them out, and then installing a sleeve with the same inside diameter as it originally had, to restore the correct tolerances. This way you use the same bearings as original, and don't reduce the wall thickness of the bore in the hub where the bearing rides. This will be preferable, and simpler than your proposed method. Next time, you'll know to stop riding it and replace the bearings. You can get almost any bearing on your bike from a seal and bearing supply house, for much less than the dealer. You could probably replace both sets of wheel bearings for less than the cost of 5 gallons of premium pump gas, maybe only slightly more.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the post. Do you know approx. how much it would cost to get the repair done? I have some money now, so I guess thats the first thing I will do.

kamchuka

Mar 30, 2006
its probably cheaper

going on e.b.a.y. and getting a hub. i've had a heck of time with some machine shops and anymore they seem to put the "little" job on the back burner. the one poster was right, these bearings can be replaced at a fraction of the cost the only dif. is the box dont say "suzuki" most trailer shops or something similar will have bearings for every aspect of your bike, trees, and wheels anyways, maybe not swingarm.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Locktite makes some stuff, called "bearing retainer" or something like that. The label tells you its specifically for filling the void between hubs and bearings. Any auto supply place will have it.
However, the ultimate fix is to have the hub bored out and a shim collar installed.
Look in your local phone book or ask around for any shop that does work on old Harleys or vintage bikes. They all do this service and will know the correct size of bearing to use. Costs about $40.00 plus the bearing.
I agree, a machine shop typically won't be interested in a little pain in the a*s job like this.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I just noticed that you are located in The Sault. You probably don't have a lot of options where you are. Here's someone who can do this for you in Mississauga.
www.krasamotors.com
You'll find their e-mail address on the web site. E-mail Peter and forward a picture and a brief description of what's wrong and he'll give you a quote. Shipping by Purolator shouldn't be too much.
These people are pros.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
In the old days we made our own shimming material from beer cans. It held up well and was very fun to obtain.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…