gulliver

May 4, 2001
My KTM LC4 640 has a lot of blue on the chrome pipes near the piston. I only have 200 miles on it. Is it running too hot, or is this normal. Also, not that I really care, but is there a preferred way of cleaning it.

jim920ktm

May 14, 2001
Guliver, There isn't an LC4 on the planet with anything but blue pipes. It's standard issue, especially prevalent in the 620/640s. It's due to a variety of factors...timing, jetting, etc. all of which mean greater heat. But the real reason you're blue is due to the single wall design of the header pipes. They just can't handle the heat and even the best of chrome plating jobs will turn blue. If it bothers you, there's a great product called Blue-Away that can be rubbed into the pipes and will remove most of the discoloration. Then follow that up with a good application of Semichrome polish and your pipes will look great again...until you start the bike. I changed the pilot jet in my 400 LC4 and watched (in horror) as my beautiful new header pipes turned gold, then purple, then blue - right before my eyes in the span of a few seconds. I've never seen an LC4 with pipes that weren't discolored. I'm beginning to think it looks cool now, as long as it's a nice, even blue! You'll learn to like it, too.

Top Bottom