kawikiller

Mar 2, 2007
do any of you guys cross train with bmx or mountain biking? I was thinking of doing it but im not sure which bike would be best to get. Should I buy one of those full suspension mountain bike which basically look like a dirtbike with no motor. Or should I just get a good old bmx bike? I guess it depends on what you wanted to do with it. I was thinking a little of everything. taking it to the bmx track, trail riding, and jumping ramps out front of my house. I used to bmx as a kid but the bikes have changed alot since than. and man those dual suspension mountain bikes look bad ass :boss:

so does anyone cross train with bikes? do you think its a good idea? give you any advantages etc.?

the sport is called mountain cross. search it on utube. its pretty cool and similiar to mx.

Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I used to race BMX when I was younger, I even went to the World BMX Championship in the state of Kentucky to participate. Last year, when my rear shock was getting revalved, I thought I should get out the BMX to build the cardio. Man I was surprised! I barely made a 2 feet jump and almost crashed. It's really something to go from huge suspensions to no suspensions. Plus, the bike felt so small! I parked it right bike in the garage after 15 minutes. No more BMX for me.

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
McGrath showed us all that some BMX experience is very valuable to a MX/SX racer. I also feel that the exercise is good cardio training as well. I love riding my MTN bike around the hills and trails.

kawikiller

Mar 2, 2007
Yeah I just got a mountain bike for free. I used to be able to jump real high and far. I built a very small double jump and have been jumping that but am no where near where I used to be. And the bike feels small, the bmx bikes are real small. I think adults need the big suspension mountain bikes.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
If I get off my dirt bike and then go ride my bike, it feels so weird because theres no suspension.

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
kawikiller said:
Yeah I just got a mountain bike for free. I used to be able to jump real high and far. I built a very small double jump and have been jumping that but am no where near where I used to be. And the bike feels small, the bmx bikes are real small. I think adults need the big suspension mountain bikes.

Actually adults race the 20" Pro BMX class and haul butt! Then there is the 24" Crusier class too.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Don’t know about BMX but mountain bikes are good training for cardio and balance. I would suggest a good name brand entry level mountain bike something in the 4 to 6 hundred dollar range. That will get you front suspension and very good shifter components and disc brakes. Disc brakes are a lot more consistent in wet riding conditions. Rear suspension is nice but it adds to the weight and if you plan on climbing hills you need rear suspension with a lock out and that really adds to the cost.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
For training, forget the big burly downhill bikes. Those are meant for one thing only: going down ridiculously steep terrain with drops. For cross-training, a hardtail cross-country bike is the best way to go.

BMX skills cross over well to MX/SX, but cross-country mountain biking is better for cardio.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
^100% agree.^

For a more cardio workout I would get a hardtail if that is your only goal, to get fitter. But, if you want to have some fun with less fitness, get a BMX. Down here in aus, Greg Moss (the father of 2 championship winning twins) said that they used to BMX every day so I don't really think you can go wrong. I don't think you should get a really dear dual-suspension downhill bike though, unless your really into that.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I do 50 mile mountain bike races up in the upper peninsula.
while dirtbiking, especially with an old heavy bike, you get a bit of a workout, but nothing like a mountain bike.
now, I have never ridden mx, so I'm not sure of thew workout there, but I'm guessing it not quite as grueling as riding through 50 miles of sandy uphills, tight turns, etc.
(on a side note, I want to dirtbike the trail SO bad!)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I tend to disagree. While mountain biking is tough and gives a decent work, I find dirtbiking (especially racing) is a better work out. There's some days I can barely move after riding my dirtbike, while I find the only my legs get tired on a mountain bike.

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
a bmx bike is for a track with tight turns and fast little jumps and mt. bike with just front suspention is a good all around trail/ and jump bike, mt. bikes with full front a rear suspention and best for down hill racing... the rear spring takes away a lot of momentum as you pedal... as the bike bounces, your not getting the full power from each time you go around... just something to think about

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
BMX is a very good base to MX, but I doubt it would be very useful to ride both at the same time.

Top Bottom