Bodily sacrifices for sake of sport...

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser

If it doesn't warrant a trip to the hospital, it's not an injury.

Yeah but , all those non-injuries sure hurt like hell 30 yrs. later

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
When all was healed they grabbed the head on the pins and pulled them out. I swear they used a pair of pliers that looked very similar to what I have in my toolbox.Jeff

I too am a bit of an erector set. I have steel rod and srews from my knee to ankle ( when I broke 2 of the srcewsin half, they pulled them out and they look like wood screws witha square allen head), also had back surgury, plus various broken bones and endless stiches. and all of this was not on a bike but in other sports. :scream: Yeh I wrestle alligators for tips on the weekends.;)

On a bike, the worst was passing my friend on a trail ride in an area I hadn't been. There was a 6ft. hill in front of us and I grabbed a handful of throttle on my CR500 and lauched over it. the trail turned sharply to the right and I landed in a boulder pit. I suffered a fractured hip and sprained elbow. The bike suffered a quarter sized hole in the crankcase and a siezed engine, as the throttle was stuck pinned when the oil ran out of the bike. :scream:

Last edited:

capt hookleg

May 30, 2001
My worst injury was a result of sixth gear endo going up a sand wash on my YZ 250E (yes in 78 the YZ 250 had a sixth gear, the only year I believe.) I was just about wide open in sixth going up a long sand wash when a magnetic BFR jump in front of me. When I woke up, the bike was laying across my chest and my brother-in-law was leaning over me like an Vern and Ernst commercial saying "I thought you were dead" The result was a crack cervical vertabre and a neck that won't work as good. That was 25 years ago and I am still riding and racing at the age of 46. I plan on riding bikes until I can't walk anymore then I might consider a 4-wheeler. Blasphmie.:p

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by capt hookleg
. I plan on riding bikes until I can't walk anymore then I might consider a 4-wheeler. Blasphmie.:p

Amen, I get a load full of @*#%@, everytime my family come to visit. And even from my boss as he hated when I was out for a few months with back surgury.

FYI I heard David Bailey just won an Ironman this weekend

I would never wish that fate on anyone especially myself but I'm glad he's making the best of a bad deal.:)

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I lost my left leg(a little below the knee) at 35 mph. Another time I broke my little finger. Once a concusson. Once a lot of torn muscles. I am hard to bruise, yet I fall on hills hard enough to bruise everytime I ride 'cause I am always trying a tougher hill.

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
Sounds like ya'll have great stories! Mine was about one month ago or so. I was riding SpeedWorld MX park when it happened. Just out for another days practice, the track was all changed though! The lips were vertical on the jumps, they were shooting the riders HIGH! Well i was coming up to a roughly 90ft table top in about 4th gear 1/2 throttle. I got nose low in the middle of the air and when my bike landed my head smashed the bars! Afte the head hit my body bounced forward and crushed my ribs. I was taken by helicopter to the trauma. I was unconcious for 14 mins. Severe concusion, 2 fractured vertebrate in my neck, a broken collarbone and 6 broken ribs, and the best part... 2 nights in the hospital w/ an absolutely gorgeous nurse (maybe 20ish?)! That was the best part though : )~ Well thats my worst (so far).

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by YZDezertGuy
Sounds like ya'll have great stories! Mine was about one month ago or so. I was riding SpeedWorld MX park when it happened. Just out for another days practice....

SOUNDS familiar:) Yes , speedworld can be that - really fast. It can be fairly smooth with the right lines (for a few minutes!), or bite you hard.

My worst was at Casagrande MX after going into a front end loader over a tall table top at considerable speed. Broken condials on left leg, plus severed acl and patellar. 58 staples in that leg - ouch. The right leg only suffered a 3 way break of the patella. Doing much better these days, of course - although a missing acl limits me somewhat. Needless to say, Me and Track owner are still in litigation over that one - last chapter not written yet.

But, I feel for, and congratulate anyone who overcomes a serious injury and goes through the rehab to do their sport again. Like a race car driver said, " What is the point if being here if you can't do what you love?" I won't let anyone stop me from enjoying my sport, be it by judgement or negligent actions. Everyone who does not even know what MX stands for asks me, " Are back on a bike?!", like it is a disease. I just say yes, as they puff on their cigarette.
:D See you at the track. ( Going tomorrow as a matter of fact!)

Last edited:

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
Boy I thought I had badluck?
Actull right now I'n nursing a severe sprain to my left ankle. Cased my first double 2 weeks ago at the local track in Elko, MN. Didn't crash, just felt my ankle "explode" on impact. But of course I finished my 2 other races before going to the ER. My toes are still purple.

My worst was 2yrs ago when I was Roadracing at Brainerd. They say I lost both ends, carried the bike on my knee, then it highsided me to the moon! Next thing I remember was waking up in the MRI machine wondering where I was. Luckly nothing more than black eye and a trashed helmet.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
But, I feel for, and congratulate anyone who overcomes a serious injury and goes through the rehab to do their sport again. Like a race car driver said, " What is the point if being here if you can't do what you love?" I won't let anyone stop me from enjoying my sport, be it by judgement or negligent actions. Everyone who does not even know what MX stands for asks me, " Are back on a bike?!", like it is a disease. I just say yes, as they puff on their cigarette.

Man, this is so true!! I am catching all kinds of stuff at home and work about wanting to keep going. And I am sure it won't stop until i get through physical therapy. They ask me if i am going to sell my stuff and i just tell them "YUP! I'm selling my bike to get a 2002." :p They just shake their head in disgust and look at me like I'm a Heroin addict...

mxracer51

Jul 2, 2001
I think I'm made out of rubber. I crash all the time and just get back up. The worst thing to happen to me in 6 years of ridding was two concussions. I've landed off of big doubles on my head and pushed a trashed bike back to the pits and I wasn't even sore the next day. Maybe if I rode faster my crashes would be more exciting. lol You guys are one tough crowd. Congrats!

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
fmfkx125372

Yes, a 2002 should keep you from any injuries whatsoever. After all, it is a better machine.:) Actually, since I have got my 2001 250F in dec. of 2000, I have had no injuries - just a couple bruises from low-siding in corners. So there is the proof!;) I guess it is an addiction - so injuries won't stop it for long. There is nothing like a fine tuned machine with fresh rubber on it, and a well groomed track or trail in front of you. Something that non-riders will probably never understand. At my new local track there is a guy who is near 60 and he is there at least once a week.

Maybe I should join a 12 step program?:confused: nah..

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
This is now, literally, a sore subject for me. Here I sit at my desk at work with an icepak on my knee and a bottle of ibuprofen. I crashed and must have tore something in my knee and NOW I CAN'T RIDE FOR A MONTH AT LEAST! I know I am extremely lucky in that this is my first serious injury but I am still pissed off about it. I crashed and my knee popped a couple times and I had to be carried off the track. This sucks.

Mom asked me why I do this. I didn't have an answer for her.:think

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
firecracker, where you wearing knee braces?

Have you had it checked by a doc yet?

I offer you my condolences, I went thru the same thing 4 months ago.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
yes, I was wearing one on my RIGHT knee. I fell down on my LEFT knee. Before you all lecture me I could only afford one brace when I bought it, and was planning on buying one next. Now I have to. No I have not been to a doc--I just started a new job and my insurance doesn't start until Sept. 1. It sucks.

Sorry you had to do this too. I hope I don't need surgery although I'm afraid I might. I've already tweaked my other knee a million times, never been in for that one either. I should know better. :(

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Firecracker22 . . .

Just tell me where it hurts at what flexion of the knee, and where the swelling is, and I could probably diagnose it. Although I will warn warn you - I am not a doctor, I just play one on TV. I have had my share of knee injuries. Anyhow, sorry to hear about your mishap - how did it happen?
Remember: you only live once so enjoy yourself. Your knee won't work any better or worse when you are food for worms! ( sorry for the visual )

I imagine injuries will ALWAYS be a topic on drn. Just hope for everyone's sake that they are not too serious as too stop doing what you want to do with your life.

My own personal guidelines are:
  • Always wear a brace on my acl-less left knee
  • wear shin/knee guard on other and all other equipement, of course.
  • don't ride more than 2% over my head at any given time
  • stay in shape ( weights and biking/jogging )
  • keep my bike in 100% mechanical shape
  • never eat beans the night before I go riding
  • cook pork and chicken thoroughly
  • block every good line when a fast guy is behind me on the track
  • Make sure my 250F is not on empty when I go for the big double
  • keep my at least 3 appendages on the bike at all times - hey even monkeys do this when they climb and I am smarter than them!

Of course, If I hurt myself too much, my girlfriend gets a little worn out too - So I have to be good.;)

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Here is my sad story:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php&threadid=21146

It hurts in the front and middle when I bend it as if I'm walking, and it hurts really badly if I bend it to either side. Climbing into the car is not fun. I keep honking the horn since the Mach One has a rim-blow horn (built into the steering wheel) and I use the wheel to brace myself while I lever my knee in. Makes people look at me funny. Anyway, it's still swollen and weird feeling so it's kind of hard to tell right now. My other knee hurts from side to side motion too--like when I step down and pivot. That's been landed on skiing, snowboarding, playing tennis, riding, rollerblading, and just plain walking (I never claimed to be graceful) about a hundred times. Might have to have both of them done. :eek: scary!

Anyway I know knee braces aren't 100% effective but one may have saved me had I been wearing one; they're better than nothing.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
It hurts in the front and middle when I bend it as if I'm walking

I blew my knee out two weeks ago and that is the pain i have. My ACL separated from my knee bringing a piece of bone with it. Hope you make out ok, I know exactly what you are going through. Yeah, the car is the worst part, I am 6'3 and it takes every inch of the car for me to get in and out. Good Luck!

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
FC22 -

Yes, I would agree - sounds like some form of an acl injury, but when sep 1 rolls around I would definitely get an official opinion. And if it gets worse just go to urgent care and get a diagnosis? I read the story and was hoping you fell hard on the kneecap since a stress fracture of the patella will leave you much better off than any soft tissue damage. But it sounds like the full flex, full weight, twist and pop. You said it popped twice - the second pop was probably the joint re-seating itself.

I broke the right patella in 3 pieces last year and that knee is 100% stable, thank god. THe left one is another story!

Well good luck, and that goes to anyone that is ailing.:)

raider

May 31, 2001
I fractured the top of my Tibia four weeks ago. My left leg got caught while making a left hand turn on our local track and twisted violently enough that it cracked the bone. After four weeks of PT and wearing a flexible leg brace, I'm finally to the point where I can hobble around without crutches. Don't know when I'll be able to ride again. These bones don't heal as fast as they did when I was younger. The worst part about it is my wife bought me a '00 YZ 250 that I picked up two days after it happened. It's sitting in my barn just taunting me!

Top Bottom