Bolt On Horsepower or Snake Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ICAT - Has anyone used them?

I just saw this article on transworldmx.com about an ICAT ignition thingy and I was wondering if anyone has tried them.
http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,536711,00.html

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
it kind of got looked at before but not much- try a search on "icat"????

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
If the product can do what the company claims then it should provide some advantage. OEM ignitions is an area where serious cost reduction has taken place so improving on the stock setup isn't really rocket science IF you spend some real money. Ignition coils that work well from idle to 13,000 + rpm tend to be big, heavy, and expensive which is the opposite direction that the engineering teams have been forced to go lately. I have a state of the art Jacobs Ultra-Coil sitting here. It weighs about 6 pounds and is the size of 1/2 of a firebrick. This would be a perfect coil for high speed four-strokes, but don't hold your breath. There is room for improvement, but whether or not the iCat is the answer is debateable. Personally I won't be putting my faith in the abilities of guys who think "it really rips now" is testing. :laugh:

Unfortunately the company doesn't say a whole lot in their tech docs, so I would suggest Caveat Emptor ;)

More info here http://www.icatusa.com/tech.htm

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
OK, lets up the ante here- i will lay down $10 and if someone else (ie 19 other people) lay down $10 then we can buy one and send it to someone like Rich or Steve125 (if they dont mind me volunteering them) and have them dyno it and track test it. any takers?

once done we can maybe sell it on ebay and give the money back to DRN.

steve125

Lifetime Sponsor
Sure I would be glad to track and dyno test one!!!! :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
I second the vote for sending one to Steve so he and Pete Payne can wring it on the dyno and the track. If IiCat was smart and had real faith in their product they would send one to DRN headquarters for testing. That way we could send it to a handful of members and get a wide range of rider opinions. ;)

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
Rich: while we are on a role, is there and offical DRN route of contacting ICAT to see if we can get one for testing- maybe we can email them this thread or contact them in some other way. If they are as good as these people are claiming, i would have no problem spending $200- sounds like it could help solve a whole lot of rich jetting misdameanours i seem to have, LOL!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Originally posted by bclapham
Rich: while we are on a role, is there and offical DRN route of contacting ICAT to see if we can get one for testing-
Bruce - I'll have Thump and Okie check out this thread and advise you on the correct approach. :thumb:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
After searching European and UK (it's a British invention Bruce ;) ) patent databases---no luck. Their Euro websites show statistically INsignificant improvements in forklift fuel economy, measured in "kilograms per shift". :laugh:

Surprisingly, I found a test on an 02YZ250:http://www.icatsportusa.com/test.html

Funny how we have no idea if there are capacitors, wires, computers or mice in that canister, yet technical data is entirely absent. Perhaps because they have not yet received a patent in the US (and probably for good reason).

They give free trials of them over here so I'm sure if you give them a ring they'll do the same for you. They obviously have some trust in the product as they've made a point of going to tracks and handing them out for people to try for the day.
I've talked to a few people who have tried them and they all said how great they were, but when you've spent €150 who wouldn't say that! Also you'd have to wonder is it a real power increase the people feel or some other effect like jetting leaning out a tad? I'm half tempted to get one so I'd love to hear a full report from Steve or Rich!
They're on special over here for $165...

steve125

Lifetime Sponsor
Even if it did half of what they claim on that dyno chart of the 02YZ250, it may well be worth the $. Notice also they recomend after the installation of the Icat an increase in the plug gap to 1mm. Thats close to 2x the normal gap.

Rich maybe do a shootout, the Icat verses vs the power now. :confused:

I need to re-dyno the PN a half throttle and see if that shows anything.

If Icat has a surefire product then I would think they would jump at a chance to have that proven and backed by DRN. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.