Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
I bought a pair of gaerne rx-2's for total of $203, then I was thinking I could almost buy some alpinestars for alittle bit more. I found some tech 6's for $259 but just don't know if it will be worth the extra money? Is there a difference really in the boots and if so is it worth the extra 60 dollars for them?

what do you guys think?

thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
There is no comparison between Alpinestars and any other. Well...maybe Sidi or FOX are good. Get either the Vectors new for $200 or spend a little more for the ultimate Tech 8's. You get what you pay for.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I have a set of SIDI's that I bought on sale last spring direct from Motonation. I think they were about $160. I can't remember the name of them right now but they aren't the high-end MX boot. I've been really happy with them so far. For trail riding and hare scrambles I like a boot that's a little more flexible and has a decent tread pattern vs the stiff, slick-bottomed MX boots. The SIDI's are gread in those respects and are also quite comfortable.

The thing that I don't like about the A-Stars is that they leak like a screen door in a submarine. I hate wet feet. My riding buddy is about ready to make the switch also and he's worn Tech 8's for the 12 years I've known him.

Just my $.02

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Gaerne RX-2 <a href="http://www.gaerne.com/boot_rx2.html"><B>HERE</B></a>

They are nice, I like them but why are the alpinestars better for an extra 60 bucs?

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
check out the Gaerne's at the link 2 posts above, what do u think, those are the ones I bought but I could get alpine star tech 6's at a store locally, I need boots for this Saturday so don't have time to order something.

any more feedback?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The new Fox Forma Pros are amazing and list for $225 in black, some cool metallic colors are also offered for a little more. Definitely worht checking out, and I got mine for quite a bit less so shop around.

kelvinmercer

Aug 2, 2003
Hello ,
I brought gaerne sp1's and I reckon they are second to none I think they kick any alpinestars ass.
But what you really need to do is try both boots on and wear them for at least 20 mins to see if they suit your feet , any good bike shop should tell you that.
Dont be sucked into all the hype about alpinestars go with what feels better on your feet.
remember you will be riding them for a fair while so if they hurt after a few mins they will hurt even worse after a few hours riding.
Hope this helps.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
thanks for the feedback, I'm going to check out some tech 6's and bring my rx2 along to try both of them on. I'm already leaning toward the gaerne's since I already have em and they are cheaper, I'm pleased with them.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I had ultra cheap Oneils that disintegrated and now a pair of mid price MSR's that are coming apart after one enduro season. I am done with cheap boots and will buy Alpinestar next time.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Just like everything else in the world..............you get what you pay for. You take Alpinestars out of the box and its apparent these are some fine Italian workmanship.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
This is a very interesting article on motorcycle boots that you all might be interested in reading before buying new boots. http://www.teamorthopedics.com/boots.html

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
My new Oneil Elements are trashed already ... 1/2 season of of mellow riding. What a waste of $90. My previous Alpinestars lasted 10 years ... you get what you pay for

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
If you want the most solid, comfortable boot then buy the Alpinestar Tech8s. The Tech6s are also really good but don't have the nice inner booty. Protection in both these boots is as good as anybody else.

On the other hand, one problem with the Tech 8s is that if you have a big foot, they are realy, rally HEAVY! (Not sure that the Tech6s are the same).

So heavy that when I borrowed a pair from a friend, I could barely use the rear brake with any feel.

My friend has since sold his Tech8s and bought some great Fox boots (he said it was a struggle to get his leg forward in the mud!)

My main point - most topline boots are brilliant and worth the extra money over the entry level, but that doesn't mean that they are perfect. You may find that the entry/mid level is better for you.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
if u find a boot better than this let me know cause i love these

Attachments

• 100_1996.jpg
    100_1996.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 136

rippenkawi

Jan 21, 2003
Alpinestars by far but I have owned the tech 8's and I did not like them because they come with a foot booty and that thing just does not last! Get the teck 6's the best boot for the money

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
I have always been an Alpinestars fan, but my Tech 6's may change that. I have ridden and raced with them for about three years. Two years ago, I clipped a fallen tree branch while on the gas, hard. A stick, about 1 3/4" (I saved it) in diameter, puntured my left boot between the two middle buckles. It broke off from the branch, but not before ripping up my riding sock and my left foot. It created a 3 1/2" tear in the leather, which I had fixed by a Red Wing/ Carolina boot dealer. It leaked profusely after that. The footpeg inserts tore, then ripped out about two months later. Four months after that the bar of the top fastener broke off on my right boot. Also, I have had to routinely remove, re-bend, and re-staple the toe caps on both boots. I take care of my boots routinely, cleaning after each ride, and mink oiling twice a year. I had thought about buying tech 8's, but now I find myself leaning toward SIDI's or Fox Forma's. Just my experience, any comments or advice would be well recived.
Never stop riding!!!
-Nick

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Well I ended up sticking with the Gaerne's plus after riding this weekend I can't take them back of course. But I really like these boots, they are also made in Italy, like the AlpineStars. Didn't leak water, just need to finish breaking them in a bit and should be just fine. I have a friend who has had these same pair since 98 and he loves them thinks they fit better than his tech6's.

I'm very pleased! thanks again for all of your feedback!

o'neal

Jul 8, 2002
Has anyone tried the O'neal hardware boot? I think it is their high end boot. I have well worn tech 7s now. Would the O'neals be compariable.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
I went and checked out the oneals hardware, they look sweet, I think the water webbing is actually taller than on both the tech 6's and my gaerne rx-2, in case you are worried about the water. Sorry though I haven't heard much feed back about them, they are the top of the line for O'neal, there is a comparision for the O'neals on dirtrider.net do a search, it wasn't like a thread it was an actual page they did.

Top Bottom