DCR

Mar 22, 2005
I started riding again a few years ago, so I dug out my 30+ year old old Brad Lackey boots, that I have not had on since 1985. They are still in great shape other than a hole in one sole, and the insoles are hard as a rock, but the leather is in great shape, no tears, holes, or failed seams. I could refurbish them but the leather strap over the pin method is a pain, so I am thinking about some different boots I want them to be comfortable, protective, long lasting, water resistant, with good feel. I am not impressed with a lot of gear now days, most of it looks like it came from a video game. I bought some expensive new gloves that where highly rated. They were junk compared to the old leather JT racing gloves I use to wear, so I wear my leather mowing gloves instead lol. I have been thinking about some Alpinestar techs 4,6,7 or maybe 8s. The bootie in the tech 8 seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it might limited feel, and make the boot bulky. Gaerne have good reviews for comfort, but they look overly complicated with to many bits of plastic to get torn up. I think the boots from the eighties with the quick synch lace and the velcro over flap look like the best design to me, so what do you guys think fix my old boots or is there a newer boot that I would be better off with.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Alpinestars Super Victory boots are probably what you are looking for. They are still my favorite.

http://metroracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=111_34&products_id=690

SUPER%20VICTORY%20BOOTS.jpg

DCR

Mar 22, 2005
Those do look pretty cool, but unfortunately I am going to be limited to more common boots, as I am going to try and pick up a used pair, because I still have two more motorcycles to purchase for the family, I am hoping get my old Z28 and my wifes convertible Cutlass on the road soon, we are avid boater, and I need to build a trailer for the bikes, so funds are limited.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Alpinestars Super Victory boots never heard of them. Thats good info though, I have a friend that feels the same way as DCR. He wears the same boots he wore in the eighties. He purchased about 3 pair in the early 90s and is on the last pair and can't find anything he wants to wear. I will pass this info along to him, may be just what he wants.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a couple of pairs of the Alpinestars boots that looked like those from the early 80's until maybe 2002.

Loved them at the time, but after getting a pair of Gaerne SG10's, I found the Gaerne's were much better in every way, IMO.

I'm a tightwad about lots of things, but good boots are something I'll spend on, because they last a long time and make a big difference in my riding experience.

For gear, the best savings are buying 'last year's model' or an unpopular color on closeout, just as they are releasing the new season's stuff.

FWIW, I got my all black SG10's for $250, but that was awhile ago before they got popular and the prices went up. They were a bargain at that price and now that I've lived with them, I'd pay more!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Rich, you would not believe what I seen a pair of those, in clapped out condition sold for, no wait, yes you would believe. And yes, I was trying to get them, CHEAP! The tech 10's gave me flashbacks of the scott plastic boots, not good. BUT, after a couple of days swearing at them, the best boot I have yet to ride in. Alpine Star, the lower numbers just get more flexible right off the shelf. Even the tech 8's take some getting used to for shifter feel. Pfffft, new boots, no more putting bricks in them, in a bath of hot water and soaking them? No fun anymore. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom