IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
MSopm17 said:
Just bought a 2004 KDX 200....do you think it is necessary for me to get boots? If so which ones?

Yep.. proper gear is a must.

Go to a dealer and try some on. Find a boot that's comfortable and fits well.

Then consider, how much do you value your ankles and feet?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
as a just starting out guy, just google "motocross boots" and you'll find plenty of brand names.

otherwise, you'll get as many opinions as there are brands.

good luck.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
For my purposes, the boots do several things:

1) Heat shield from the motor/exhaust

2) Protection from branches, rocks and other objects that you might brush up against while riding (even if you don't crash/fall)

3) Foot protection and ankle support when you put a foot down in a sharp turn.

4) Abrasion / impact resistance when you do fall and your leg is between the bike and the ground.

In my opinion, boots are a must. Anything is better than nothing, and you quickly get to a point of being adequate. Beyond that are issues of comfort, durability and fashion.

I tend to end up wearing the boots all day so they need to have a basic level of comfort. If your bike breaks down you may be walking back to camp so a reasonable fit is important. Buckles that break or won't stay closed can be really irritating.

Rod

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
No one mentioned broken tibias ??? You should wear knee and shin guards , but boots also have those nice plastic things in front too. Its hard to start out, but the gear is a big deal. Helmet, goggles,knee shin guards and boots, gloves, chest/back protector.
Get them and use them :ride:

Top Bottom