Pele

Jul 7, 2007
I got in small low speed accident but the results of it sucked. I was in a corner on a slate dump weaving through some trails when I dodged a rock with my bike but clipped it with my toe. It knocked my foot off the peg and pulled me down off the bike a bit. This I guess allowed my foot to get pulled under the bike enough to get caught between the ground and the chain. The boot pulled up into the bike and I fell down away from the bike. The boot was not mangled at all so I continued to ride for another half hour until I got really light headed and felt like I had a headache in my boot. I stopped and looked and I saw my foot. I could see my achilles tendon and just put my boot back on and rode home. Got to the hospital and needed 18 stitches and just missed my tendon. Thank god for the boots though or I probably would have lost my foot or at least my tendon.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

WEAR YOUR PROTECTIVE GEAR

This was definately a freak accident.

joey450

Jul 14, 2007
: Glad you are all right, it is really not that much of a freak accident though,when my son was at the pewee track age i have saw this happen a couple of times.i have saw it happen on the big tracks as well not as much though.GOTTA WEAR THAT PROTECTIVE GEAR :nod:

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Pele said:
The boot was not mangled at all so I continued to ride for another half hour until I got really light headed and felt like I had a headache in my boot.
Dang dude!! One tough hombre, huh? :laugh: Glad you're OK.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
I want to say that the boot pulled into the bike as I fell away and since the ankle area in the boot is smaller it caught on my heel. The cut was more of a tear than a slice. I think that is why my boots look like they are okay. It was definately different. Because when I looked down I looked and felt okay. I thought that I just sprained my ankle lightly. Then I finally got to see the damage and I was amazed that I rode that much longer. I had about a 10 minute ride on back trails as well to get home.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
oneal's from about 3 years ago that ran me about 150 or 160

I'll probably upgrade but at the same time I don't think its the boots fault. If anything I think it did its job and saved my foot.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
On my last ride I caught a stump with my toe and it forced my heel into the side of the bike hard enough to jerk my bike sideways a foot or so. Had I not been wearing boots it probably would have turned my foot around backwards. Even with the boot, the impact was so hard that I expected major damage, but there was none. My boot and ankle sustained no visible or unseen damage.
BTW - The boots are 2 year old el cheapo O'Neals and they did their job and then some.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
Once I actually saw the cut then I started getting really lightheaded and the pain was definately more. It goes to show you how the mind makes things better or worse.

Ofilia

Sep 2, 2007
Hi,

i duno why but eversince i've gotten my boots i've sustained more injuries. but they've saved my legs countless too.... the last major injury that i got was during a misjudgement in eyepoint and a second of panic uphill a steep slope. i accidentally released the clutch, bike stalled and dragged me a good few metres downhill till it stopped midhill. my right leg was trapped and the whole bike pinned me to the ground. major impact was to my knee. boots and guards kept my leg in place. could still finish the trail, i walked with a limp. the moment i took off the boots and guards, it was hell. i couldn't walk for a week. couldn't imagine what it'll be like if i wasn't wearing boots. other falls included my leg/ankle trapped under the bike in such awkward positions that one look might say it's totally twisted. i duno if it's a good brand, bought it second-hand. Falco.

Ofilia

Sep 2, 2007
Pele said:
Once I actually saw the cut then I started getting really lightheaded and the pain was definately more. It goes to show you how the mind makes things better or worse.

i agree with you. i just suffered a burnt on the pipe ysterday. it felt so painful, i didn't dare to look. when i finally did, i freaked out and got nauseous at the art my skin and flesh had become. it's somehow worse once you actually see it. got even more painful. but like u said, it's definitely a mind over body issue.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
We were clearing a trail last weekend, and I was done riding so I took off my boots. Bad idea. Two of us were swinging a fallen tree off of the trail when it came onto a small sapling. We pushed the sapling over with the fallen log, but when we set it down it sprung back knocking me to the ground and trapping my foot under it. I ended up with a twisted ankle and bruised my foot, top and bottom. You know how it feels to push on a severe bruise? That's how it feels to walk on it every morning. It gets better throughout the day though. The bonus is it doesnt hurt at all with my boots on! So we ride on. I will never take my boots off until I am getting in the truck to leave.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
Haha awesome stories! I just went out this weekend for the firt time since my injury. It felt great and the hill where I got hurt still makes me laugh. I got my gf a 2001 honda recon to dink around on while I'm climbing hills she doesnt dare touch. If you guys ever come to southen parts of the PA check out ISABELLA, PA or any of the other coal towns. They have a ton of fun dumps to ride with the bike and they never seem to get old since after each rain new hills and ruts are formed up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom