Boots that will last?

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Ive got less than 2 years on my Oneal M700's, and they are shot. Im looking for some good ones under $200, that will last more than a couple years. Any suggestions?

CRX

They will cost you a little more than $200. but a pair of Hipoints will last a long time. They are plain jane looking, but are a quality boot with very little plastic.......CRX

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Wayne - I'm in the middle of my second year on a pair of Hi-Points.

On the upside, they are made from high quality top-grain leather, not split-grain like most boots. The only plastic is over the left toe and the buckles. The shin guards are made from metal. Extremely waterproof. Very comfortable. Made by Alpinestars with the replaceable sole.

On the downside, 1970's styling and protection. Rivets rust and pull out of leather. Steel guard in front of the toes, but not on top. No steel shank. I broke four toes, some other bones and sprained my ankle last year when my foot hit a stump. They cost $225 on avg.

Next year I will replace them with something that offers more protection for my feet. The key to making your boots last is cleaning them after every ride (shouldn't be a problem for you) and applying shoe polish or leather conditioner. I had a set of $150 Thor boots that lasted five seasons.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
hee-hee

Very funny....:) :silly:
Im looking at some Sidi boots in the latest DR mag. They look great, and protective, but I think they are close to 300. Anyone know how much they are?

smb_racing

Master of None
has anyone had any experience with the Alpinestar Vectors?
I saw these at the local shop and thought they were ski boots (sole looks funny), they also appear to be lacking a metal toe guard. But the insides of them felt extremely cushy, the price is right around $250 also, thoughts?

I'm looking to replace my Fox Trackers since I put a footpeg through my left boot :scream:

duh, nevermind, see there's a review for them....

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Alpinestar M4's $169.00
Love em, works well with braces.
Soles about a 1yr old and look like 1 week.

smb, a friend of mine has worn the Vectors and he claims they are the most comfortable (ski)boot he's worn, but he won't switch from the Tech 8's....boot of the century according to him.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
I have a pair of AXO RC-3's that are well over 5 years old, and I still use them. This year I bought a pair of Tech 6's, so the AXOs are now back up boots. Can't say if the new RC-5's are made with the same quality, but I'd probably try them again, given the opportunity. Right around the $199 mark, if I remember.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
$290-OUCH!

Thump, they look great, and will prob do the trick, but I need to find them at a closeout sale, or something-$290 will get me in BIG trouble. ;)

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
There is no way the SIDI's are worth $290 mine didnt last 2 months before I started having problems with them. It is a 2 piece boot and I have had the bottom seperate from the top twice. The foot peg hooked the top half ripped off the pivot and the strap. And this happened just landing off a jump, no crash involved. I wrap them in duct tape before each moto now to keep them together. Also getting replacement parts has been an effort in futility. I would say go with another brand if you are looking for a boot that will last a long time.

Boot Reserch

I too have been doing a little reaserch on a boot purchase. I have come down to two boots the AXO RC-5 which I am leaning too. Cool looking boot that no one I have read about has a complaint with. Gaerne SGI is another choice. Both are priced just above $200 snaps. If anyone reading this has comments about my choices please reply. By the way my wife can no nothing:p

Thump

Jr Admin Type
slideways11

Did you contact MotoNation about this?

For the record I can not disagree strongly enough about the boot, BUT my opinion would be the same as yours if my boots failed as quickly as yours did. From reading praises from others on the boot as well as my own experience I wonder if you did not get a defective boot? If it were me and I would be on the phone to Motonation demanding new boots or a refund.

Wanyne,
I know these boots are out of your $200 budget but you asked... My first pair of boots were Thor??? $108 3 years ago. Wore them for 2 years.

A good boot for your money is the AlpineStar M4 according to Shane (MX221)

weimedog

Damn Yankees
We have a bunch of riders in this household...the brand that seems to be both the favorit and longest lasting are the AXO RC series. We have 3 and 5's the kids out grow them and they get passed down....none have come apart yet. We have two other brands as well. And they have been destroyed. I won't put the names on the net but one was in the 150 dollar class and the other a very recommended brand. One set of RC-3's are being passed down for the second time.

I have an old pair of AXO Turbo somethings...and their soles are falling off tens years after I bought them. I just can't seem to let them go. (All my other stuff is MSR and a Carbon Fiber HJC Helmut....my kids give me greive about the contrast with those old boots.):)