wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Ive got less than 2 years on my Oneal M700's, and they are shot. Im looking for some good ones under $200, that will last more than a couple years. Any suggestions?

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
They will cost you a little more than $200. but a pair of Hipoints will last a long time. They are plain jane looking, but are a quality boot with very little plastic.......CRX

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Wayne - I'm in the middle of my second year on a pair of Hi-Points.

On the upside, they are made from high quality top-grain leather, not split-grain like most boots. The only plastic is over the left toe and the buckles. The shin guards are made from metal. Extremely waterproof. Very comfortable. Made by Alpinestars with the replaceable sole.

On the downside, 1970's styling and protection. Rivets rust and pull out of leather. Steel guard in front of the toes, but not on top. No steel shank. I broke four toes, some other bones and sprained my ankle last year when my foot hit a stump. They cost $225 on avg.

Next year I will replace them with something that offers more protection for my feet. The key to making your boots last is cleaning them after every ride (shouldn't be a problem for you) and applying shoe polish or leather conditioner. I had a set of $150 Thor boots that lasted five seasons.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
hee-hee

Very funny....:) :silly:
Im looking at some Sidi boots in the latest DR mag. They look great, and protective, but I think they are close to 300. Anyone know how much they are?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
has anyone had any experience with the Alpinestar Vectors?
I saw these at the local shop and thought they were ski boots (sole looks funny), they also appear to be lacking a metal toe guard. But the insides of them felt extremely cushy, the price is right around $250 also, thoughts?

I'm looking to replace my Fox Trackers since I put a footpeg through my left boot :scream:

duh, nevermind, see there's a review for them....

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Alpinestar M4's $169.00
Love em, works well with braces.
Soles about a 1yr old and look like 1 week.

smb, a friend of mine has worn the Vectors and he claims they are the most comfortable (ski)boot he's worn, but he won't switch from the Tech 8's....boot of the century according to him.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I have a pair of AXO RC-3's that are well over 5 years old, and I still use them. This year I bought a pair of Tech 6's, so the AXOs are now back up boots. Can't say if the new RC-5's are made with the same quality, but I'd probably try them again, given the opportunity. Right around the $199 mark, if I remember.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
$290-OUCH!

Thump, they look great, and will prob do the trick, but I need to find them at a closeout sale, or something-$290 will get me in BIG trouble. ;)

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
There is no way the SIDI's are worth $290 mine didnt last 2 months before I started having problems with them. It is a 2 piece boot and I have had the bottom seperate from the top twice. The foot peg hooked the top half ripped off the pivot and the strap. And this happened just landing off a jump, no crash involved. I wrap them in duct tape before each moto now to keep them together. Also getting replacement parts has been an effort in futility. I would say go with another brand if you are looking for a boot that will last a long time.

jackie g

Jun 17, 2001
Boot Reserch

I too have been doing a little reaserch on a boot purchase. I have come down to two boots the AXO RC-5 which I am leaning too. Cool looking boot that no one I have read about has a complaint with. Gaerne SGI is another choice. Both are priced just above $200 snaps. If anyone reading this has comments about my choices please reply. By the way my wife can no nothing:p

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
slideways11

Did you contact MotoNation about this?

For the record I can not disagree strongly enough about the boot, BUT my opinion would be the same as yours if my boots failed as quickly as yours did. From reading praises from others on the boot as well as my own experience I wonder if you did not get a defective boot? If it were me and I would be on the phone to Motonation demanding new boots or a refund.

Wanyne,
I know these boots are out of your $200 budget but you asked... My first pair of boots were Thor??? $108 3 years ago. Wore them for 2 years.

A good boot for your money is the AlpineStar M4 according to Shane (MX221)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
We have a bunch of riders in this household...the brand that seems to be both the favorit and longest lasting are the AXO RC series. We have 3 and 5's the kids out grow them and they get passed down....none have come apart yet. We have two other brands as well. And they have been destroyed. I won't put the names on the net but one was in the 150 dollar class and the other a very recommended brand. One set of RC-3's are being passed down for the second time.

I have an old pair of AXO Turbo somethings...and their soles are falling off tens years after I bought them. I just can't seem to let them go. (All my other stuff is MSR and a Carbon Fiber HJC Helmut....my kids give me greive about the contrast with those old boots.):)

Duncan

May 14, 2001
I have some Hi-Points I have had since early 80's and they were passed down to me by my uncle. I recently passed them down to my son who has just started riding. They are all leather with the metal plate up front, and back then they were made by Alpinestars.

coyote

Mar 19, 2001
boots

try the gaerne rx pros'. Around $170 bucks, mine are wearing like iron and very comfy. Buckles and support are excellent. These boots are the sleeper of the year.

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Tech 6,ive got a pair and there really sturdy,just slightly above 200.00 at 224.00.Ive even read articles were some riders prefere them over tech 8's.Dont know exactly why,if i had the coin i would probably be wearing tech 8's.Yes i know the feeling of getting in trouble for spending to much on toys,cant have everything,sometimes you have to do the best you can on a budget.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Hey Thump thanks for your help. I can't access that # you gave me from Mexico. The phones down here are really screwy. I have to have a proper area code.
Also I did contact motonation over a month ago about the problem with my boots. The guy I talked with was not very helpful and actually rude. When I told him it was impossible to send my boots back for them to look at due to shipping and customs duties that can be as much as 300% ( a fiend of mine was charged $300 duty on a pair of AXO pants) it is cheaper to just buy a new pair of boots. Then I asked him to please just send me the parts i needed that I could fix the boots myself. He refused to do this so I asked him could I send the boots back and get a refund . He told me this was not an option.After some more disscusion about how dissatisfied I was with the boots and I wanted my money back he finally agreed to send me the parts I needed under warranty. How much can a couple of plastic circlips ,strap and a plastic upper cost?That was over a month ago I have not recieved the parts I need nor has anyone there answered my e-mails.
I can also see your point off view on the boots, because when I first got mine I thought these were the best boots ever made, great support , lots of protection and very comfortable.Again thanks for your help Thump.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I have a set of Fox Forma's that I got in 97 and they are still going strong. Well made and durable they are but they were the hardest pair of boots to break in that I have ever owned. If you get any kind of a decent discount at your dealer(I get 15%) you should be able to get into a pair for around $200.:)

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
For certain colors, the SIDI Tae-Flex, which is one notch down from the Force model, have drastically come down in price in the last couple of weeks. Motonation has them reduced to $175 on their website. They used to be $240.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think Im going to dig into my sock drawer for a few extra $$:D , and go for the Tech 6's @ $224. I would order them thru my dealer, but by the time I get hit with the *above retail, tax, etc., Im better off just mail-ordering them. I will surf some closeouts, and pick up a pair.

*The above retail usually means that the dealers ADD around 10 bucks per hundred OVER retail. You cant find any good prices in a dealership here-even the one I bought the WR from.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Long lasting is good, but the protection of your feet and ankles should be your first priority. Save up the extra doe and go for the proven Tech 8's.Sometimes there are some pretty good deal on e-bay I just saw a pair of what looked to be almost unused go for 215$.

The integrity of a boot cannot last forever(everything breaks down sooner or later). I know with running shoes you will only get so many hours of good support. I know everybody rides and wears differently, but has anybody ever heard of an average # of hours you can put on the them before the integrity is not there anymore?

Top Bottom