stevohhh

Oct 11, 2002
Just got back into riding after about a 20 yr layoff.

I am in the market for a pair of boots and have been searching the net for info and deals and its giving me a really big headache.
I bought my 12 yr old a pair of AlpineStars (tech 4's?), he loves them and they seem to be a really good boot. I had about decided on a pair of Tech 6's for myself until I read in a previous thread that the M 4's were just as good for alot less.

My ? is for a weekend rider, is the $150 boot going to afford me the same protection, fit, and wear as the $200+ boot? Does the old addage you "you get what you pay for" apply for these two price ranges?
I liked the looks of the M'4's and also the AXO MX 1.

I can't go look at boots becouse the local shops have rolled over to mail order so your opinions will hold a lot of weight with me and will be greatly appreciated.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have alpinestar tech 8's & I love em' For the moment I cant see buying anything else, they're the most comfortable & durable IMO.
They are expensive, but I've had mine for over a year with no rips or tears. The only problem I've had with em is keepin them clean :)

I'd buy black or white (not blue or red) cause you never know when you'll get the urge to change teams!

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
You're going about it the same as I do. I found that the mail order companies are the best prices, even after shipping. I bought a pair of tech 5's for about $200 about a year ago and love them. I know that you can pick up a pair of tech 6's for that now. I would stick with Alpine Stars, Sidi and I seem to recall that the newest top of the line AXO rated really good. Oh yeah you might check out a pair of Gaerne's I haven't even seen anyone selling or wearing those so other than mag reviews don't know anything. Good luck

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The alpinestar 8's are a really good boot, and probably the best, but they also appear to be one of the most, if not the most expensive boots on the market. I bought a pair of fox forma comps, for like $170-ish and the suit me fine, especially with my wool socks.

stevohhh

Oct 11, 2002
0-tact: How long have you had your Forma-Comps? Any quality issues?
I have noticed in recent threads people have been really down on Fox for there boots not holding up. I also hear they have fixed there QC problems.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
I have Tech 8's and would gladly pay the price for admission again. They are super comfy and protect the feet/ankles very well.

I have a bunch of roadracing friends who love Gaerne's as a great "value" boot. I'd guess their dirt stuff is good too.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I've grown fond of my new Tech 8's, but IMHO they aren't worth the extra money over the Tech 6's. I'd recommend the Tech 6, MX South has them on sale right now.

b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
I have both Tech 8's and Tech 6's and I agree with Cam. Go with the Tech 6 if you are on a budget.

As mentioned MX South was running a sale on them... though I dont see it on the site. You may want to call them for the best price anyway as they will usually bargain with you.

http://www.mxsouth.com

Do yourself a favor and buy the Tech 6. You'll love them. :)

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Gotta love Tech 6's

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Are you kidding, go with the Tech 8's. It must be just me, but the Tech 8's are the most comfortable boots out there, sure they're expensive, but like everything in life, MOST EXPENSIVE=BEST. Right? Or maybe it's just me. It's like helmets, a $69 helmet for a $69 head. Are your feet worth some good money? I know mine are. My .05 worth.

chrishorton

Nov 25, 2002
hey guys with the Tech 8s do the bootys ever go in crooked and bug you to the point where you have to stop and fix them? My dad tryed them on and tought that may happen,

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
I have a friend that wears Gaerne's and he has to put on band aids b-4 riding cause he gets blisters from them. I have used FOX Forma Comp's - pretty comfy, but had a problem with broken buckles which since then have changed. I have been wearing Alpinestar tech 8's this last year and they have been real comfortable and durable on the outer shell/buckle areas. However, my Alpinestars seem to wear faster on the peg/brake areas quicker than my Fox's did...... Just as alot of people have suggested - the Alpinestars are probably top of the line & You probably won't go wrong picking up yourself a new pair of FOX's.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I went from Tech 6's to Tech 8's. I took a size 14 Tech 6, I got a size 15 Tech 8. The tech 8s would not buckle up except for under very difficult attempts, the bootie seemed awkward and woeful.. I ended up riding in these boots and my feet felll asleep. I wished for my Tec 6's back ! The boots have loosened up since then and I am liking the TEch 8's more and more. I still miss my Tech 6's though. I cannot recomend the Tech 8 as I never experienced hese growing pains with the Tech 6's. You won't be dissatisfied with the 6's, 8's may be better but it's trivial. The $70 more you would pay for the Tech 8's may be better spent on a new rear tire.

Last edited:

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have heard a lot of people say that cam, but mine have fit great since day 1. I've never had any problems with the booties. I have never tried the tech 6's so I can't comment there.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I tried on all the boots I could find. Tech 6's, Fox's, Oneal's, and low model Gaerne's. Of all of these the Tech 8's were the most comfortable, this is because of the bootie.
This may also come from too many years of Ice Climbing, where you wear double boots. So throughout the years you get used to the booties.
When I found the Tech 8's, it was a no brainer. A boot with a bootie, OOHHH YEEEAAA(in Macho Man Randy Savage dialect).
But it comes down to whatever floats your boat, or in this case whatever twists your throttle.
Good luck....

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
i have a pair of axo mx-1's and wouldnt rec. them. there not comfortable at all. and i have tried on the m-4s and even bcompared to my broken in axo's the m-4's are much more comfortable,even when new.i'd try the alpinestars.

srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
Thanks guys. It looks like I will be in for some new Tech 6's. If my bike 97 KDX 220 doesn't run any better than it did this past weekend I hope they (Tech 6's) are comortable to walk in. Ha Ha :(

Oh, by the way I am stevohhh on another computer.

Last edited:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I didn't have very good luck with the Tech 6's. On mine, the soles tore out of the bottom and sent them back to have them replaced. 5 months later the soles were junk so I switched to Gaerne RX-2's. Best decision I have made yet. Just as good as Tech 6's but cheaper. Although there isn't as much support as the Alpinestars at the top of the boots, they do seem to hold up better.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I've heard a lot of comments about the Tech 6's wearing out fast in the souls.. Mostly about two years ago, but not recently. I bought my set right at about the same time (two years ago) and had excellent "tread life". They may have upgraded the sole material, or maybe I just got lucky with my pair.

alpine723

Jan 7, 2003
tech this tech that i own a pair of tech 8's and a pair of alpinestar vectors. for protection i would go for the tech 8. IF you want a boot you can race in and still walk half way normally in arround the track i would go for the vector. they also hold up better thatn the tech 8's. i am a hard rider and i would rather have vectors simpily for the comfort value. however keep this in mind if i hurt my ankle at all i run my tech 8's for a few days for the added support.

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
I got a pair of tech 8's and I love them, I've replaced the soles once and need new booties because they are worn out. I would reccomend them 2 anyone.

Top Bottom