Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
I've always had fast streetbikes, but I've bought my son a dirtbike (which he's already outgrown) and I'm looking to get something for myself. I rode old beater enduros growing up, but haven't been on a dirtbike in about 15 years.
I want something that I can run around on...no MX, but something that isn't going to bore me to death in a year. I think I'm going to be to busy going through the 65/85/125 game with the boy to buy myself something new for a while. I'm not really biased towards 2- or 4-stroke, and most of my streetbikes have been Hondas, so I might lean that way a little. Any guidance would be really appreciated.

P.S. Anyone have an opinion on a KX65 for a 6year old? Hes a monster for 6 (4'1", 67 lbs) and was really coordiated on his 50.... Thanks again.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Might want to take a look at the CRF250X. It's a 250 4 stroke woods bike. Got an electric start which is nice on a 4 stroke. Also, a 250 four stroke seems to be the perfect balance of power for people.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Get yourself a 500cc two stroke. I was in a similar situation as you. I hadn't ridden a dirtbike in 20 years and my street bike experience was with Sportsters. OK, highly modified Sportsters. But you get my drift. I got a KX500 and love it to death.

You'll never get bored on a big bore! :thumb:

As for what to buy the little guy, make sure that he can barely tippy toe on the new bike. He'll grow into it in a year.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
If your already leaning towards Honda products, then i agree -w- nectar.
All depends on what your gonna do with it though.
You said moto-X was a no go, so the CRF series will be a bit much.
For a low maintenence ride that still has the capability to thrill the XR400/600/650 is a good suggestion.
XR's are known for their durability, and if you opt for the 650 you decidedly wont be bored.
The good thing about the big XR is you can plonk around for hours -w- the kid, then open the throttle and be doing triple digit speeds.
It's a sorta heavy bike though (if ya consider 280 lbs dry heavy. I dont).
Of course i am sorta biased this way, since i own one..... :laugh:

soil tester

Dec 16, 2001
The KTM exc models are a very nice bike 200 or 300. The only problem is the head shake they get but a steering dampner will take care of that. The crf250x I am hoping is going to be a nice ride since I just picked mine up thursday, but its a little spendy. The kdx 200 or 220 are good rides after you monkey with the suspencion and jetting , and they are very in expencive.I would stay away from honda , yamaha, and suzuki 2 strokes unless you like to ride on the pipe all day, and I mean ALL DAY I have owned all of these bikes and up to this point , My choice would be the KTM. and the reason is this, you can buy this bike ,take it off the show room floor put gas in it and go and you will be very happy. So thats my opinion. Happy shopping..

Top Bottom