dell30rb1

Uhhh...
Jan 14, 2002
I need to give my cr80 more bottom end hit. I have a few questions.
1 Will advancing the timing/Retarding it help any?(and how do I do it?)
2How much more torque will fmf toruqe reeds give me?
3 No one makes a bottom end pipe for the cr 80...is there anything I can do to the stock pipe or any aftermarket silencer that will give me more bottom end hit?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
a flywheel weight will do the opposite of what you want.

i'm not sure what year your 80 is but dennis kirk has aftermarket pipes from procircuit and fmf. but if you want to keep the stock pipe:

1. i've never tried this but if you put o-rings between your stock pipe and the engine it'll give you more bottom end power from stock. the more rings-the more bottom end, but it will sacrifice power on top.
2. i hear you can do this with a cr125 silencer, but maybe you can cut down the silencer on your 80, that'll also give a bigger hit down low.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I dont believ your going to truly get a bottom end hit the bike is small and built for maximum horsepower so they take what ever torque they can generate from that size engine and multiply it by rpm
you can move the power to a lower rpm a bit by advancingthe ignition a smidgen at the sacrifice of top end you probably willnot find a pipe built for an 80 for bottom end a flywheel wight does nothing for creating power, the fact of newtons law is that an object in motion tends to stay in motion an object at rest tends to stay at rest . so a heavier flywheel will try to stay at a particular rpm longer in the light of changing things more throttle less throttle braking in gear. On some bikes like a cr 500 when you give it alittl bit of throttle it would help you frombuying rear fenders but on most bikes that are small it will just make the engine feel slow taking longer to get to the rpm the engine makes power at read eric gorr's book your in his website

dell30rb1

Uhhh...
Jan 14, 2002
I'm in his website? Wha? As for the silencer thing, do i cut it down with a hacksaw where the silencer meets the pipe at that rubber thing?? or do i cut down the entire silencer body?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
do NOT cut the silencer where it connects with the pipe. that would be the same as not running one.
what you do is:
1. remove the end cap of the silencer (usually has some rivets or small allen bolts.
2. take out the packing and the baffle thing (the tube inside with the holes)
3. i don't know exactly how much to cut off, but measure from the end inward.

a hacksaw would work, but with some kind of a cutting wheel it would be easier.
like is said, i believe fmf makes a fatty pipe for a cr80. this would help the bottom end.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
You could also try re-gearing your bike, if you want more torque add more teeth to the rear sprocket or take away teeth from the front sprocket, you can also try getting a shorter chain. don't go crazy on raising or lowering the tooth number, Even going up or down two teeth can have an impact on the bike. hope everything works out for you.
Jeff

Top Bottom