Atticus345

Nov 13, 2003
I have recently acquired a 1987 YZ 250. When I got the bike it was not running due to a top end failure(which I intend to send to eric for resleeving service.) I have decided that now would probably be a good time to rebuild the bottom end as well and was hoping that someone could give me some good tips on how to separate the cases without having to spend the money on a tool that will not see that much use. This may also be a dumb question, but would eric's book be a useful tool to have before I start, as this is my first attempt at a bottom end?

thanks,
steve

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
not only useful, but u will have too many q's to be answered on this forum w/o it! u can make a simple tool to split the cases, but a cheap auto slpitter is virtually just as cheap...i highly recc that u try doing it yourself, as if u plan on riding very long, u will save a ton of $$...

smrmx

Nov 18, 2001
I recommend you buy erics book it is great for information.I 've worked on bike for about 10 yrs and I still use it quit a bit . It's well worth the money.

adstott

May 23, 2002
When ever i'm working on my bike and I need a special tool I get whatever part I'm working on to the point that I need the tool and then I take it to the honda shop have them use there tool and they usually only charge me a couple of bucks and they generally will do it right there while I wait.

I do this with my tires all the time. I get the old one off and the new one as far on as I can and have them finish it. For some reason I just can't get those last few inches over the rim. Pisses me off every time too.

I also have Eric's book and in conjuction with a clymer manual it is an indespensible tool.

Top Bottom