DCox

Dec 29, 2003
Well, thanks go out to this forum once again in helping me make my decision. I was torn between a KTX EXC and the KDX 200, and I even went to a dealer who sold both. I was offered a great deal on a new 03 KTM 300EXC, but they had also just gotten an 04 KDX 200 in. What to do?

The support and enthusiasm on this site for these KDX machines tipped the balance for me. I got it for $3,999 out-the-door. Anway, I can't wait to get back after this weekend to break it in and get riding.

-DCox

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Congratulations on your purchase. When you get back in, you will need to do several things. Check out Fred T's thread above. For initial maintenance, grease the shock, swing arm, and steering head bearings. From my experience with my 03 200, the rear shock bearings had no grease, the swing arm and steering head bearings had very little grease (but at least they did have grease).

To double your power output, you will need to buy a pipe, remove (or cut out the top of) the air box cover under the seat, and re-jet. The bike will rip when you get it set up right. Right now, it's in the slow motion mode from the factory. It will take less than $200 to make it pull like a 250 MX bike and leave a MX bike on top end.

I recommend the FMF Gnarly woods pipe for tight trail riding and the FMF Gnarly desert pipe for high speed riding. Later on, you may want to change the silencer to an FMF Turbine Core Q, but that can wait.

Just my two cents worth-
JCW

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Check out the tech section and project bike. Do the mods one at a time and you will be able to feel each improvement. Starting with a new bike will make it real easy. Have fun.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I'm with JCW with doing the maintenance ASAP. In regards to mods, I've done the suspension setup first (springs, etc) and did the cheap engine tuning - canned the snorkel and drilled holes in the airbox lid and rejetted. One other thing I'd invest in up front are radiator guards. In addition, I've also added a skid plate and frame guards. I've been real happy with the Works Connection stuff. I also have ordered a new billet ignition cover. At least for me, the stock plastic one bites.

Next month pipe, carb, VforceII reed cage/reeds....

Best,
Greg

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I must agree with 89kdx200rdr, The KDX is a great and awesome bike. I loved mine and it was totally tricked out with all the mods. (pipe, v-force, jetted, KX front susp....) it will rip, But will never pull like a 250cc MXer. That is the reason why I sold the KDX and bought a 250sx. My .02 too

Top Bottom