Bought my 1st KTM yesterday.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I've been on KDX's for 15 years now and just made the jump to KTM yesterday with a brand new 2008 300 XCW. Won't get to ride it until sometime during this upcoming week. I've spent some time on a friends 2005 300 EXC and loved every minute of it. I hear the 2008's are quite a bit better. I'll be back with a ride report within the week. I'm giddy like a little girl. TeeHee!!

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Got first ride in today and first ride out, the bike has exceeded my expectations. Motor is super smooth with torque everywhere. Bike loves to be short shifted and lugged, but can rip into the top end with a flick of the wrist. Even better than the motor is the handling. I am amazed at the suspensions ability to soak up root and rock hits, while at the same time being able to take huge high speed hits and soaking those up as well. I hit a nasty washout in the trail that the sun was keeping me from seeing until last second at about 40mph. It's about a foot deep and three across. I was prepared for a nasty launch over the bars followed by a fair amount of pain. The actuality was comparable to riding over a pillow. I have touched nothing on the settings yet just due to wanting the suspension to break in and settle a bit before adjusting and tweaking everything.

Loving it!

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I've always wanted one of those. It's good to hear that they are as great as i imagined. Do they make an SX version? I'd buy one and put 250 stickers on it. I need to compensate for my lack of riding skills :)

Rommel

Apr 17, 2008
2008 300 Xcw

Perk said:
Got first ride in today and first ride out, the bike has exceeded my expectations. Motor is super smooth with torque everywhere. Bike loves to be short shifted and lugged, but can rip into the top end with a flick of the wrist. Even better than the motor is the handling. I am amazed at the suspensions ability to soak up root and rock hits, while at the same time being able to take huge high speed hits and soaking those up as well. I hit a nasty washout in the trail that the sun was keeping me from seeing until last second at about 40mph. It's about a foot deep and three across. I was prepared for a nasty launch over the bars followed by a fair amount of pain. The actuality was comparable to riding over a pillow. I have touched nothing on the settings yet just due to wanting the suspension to break in and settle a bit before adjusting and tweaking everything.

Loving it!

Go up to a 38 pilot jet and air screw at 1&1/2 turns out. Needle in 2nd clip from the top. Motorex at 40:1 ratio.

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
Nice one :). I've gone from a KDX to a KTM too (2003 SX200). the KDX had a lot of work done to it and has more low down power, but the KTM has a lot of top end power (and goes around the corners a lot better and more importantly the brakes work well!). I imagine the 300 would have more even power? I havn't had a chance to ride one yet

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Rommel said:
Go up to a 38 pilot jet and air screw at 1&1/2 turns out. Needle in 2nd clip from the top. Motorex at 40:1 ratio.

I hope you live in the same area, jetting in VA can be quite a bit diff from LA, CO, or MA.

By the way the 08 300W has become my favorite machine over a long list of fav. machines. I run a little lean, but I also run Moterex at 40:1 and Sunoco Maximal Fuel.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Uh Jonboy - you mean Yami dealers dont make you pay? hmmm... I need me a bike like that huh! You base that opinion on owning KTMs, or on hearsay?

I have owned 4 KTMs. (97 300, 00 300, 05 250 plus my son's 03 200) Parts prices really are not any more than the Jap bikes - and in some cases, less. The rebuild this spring on my youngest son's KDX cost as much as it did on my KTM. PLUS - they do seem to last a long time. My 2000 KTM300 had around 7,000 hard miles on it - 1 bottom end rebuild, 3 top ends (last one was right at that 7000 mile point just before I sold it). My 2005 250EXC now has around 6,000, maybe 7,000 miles on it. did the first bottom end at around 5500 miles - bottom end was within spec still - though at the upper limits, only 2 top end rebuilds, original cylinder still. Try that kind of mileage on your WR Jonboy - add up your repair bills - have a BIG wad of cash, (be afraid, very afraid... 4 strokes aint cheep to rebuild either!), then tell me how expensive parts are!

Perk - you made a good decision. when I replace my 05, (it will be a while yet - the kid is heading off to college soon), I am thinking I will look for a used 08 250 or 300 with the E button.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Not to pick one brand over another, but my KTMs cost less per mile to run than my 250 2t jap bikes have. I dont get 7000 miles out of any of them, but I dont expect to.

My RM 250s were good for about 500-600 miles on a topend and 2x that for the bottom end. At that time the RM gets completely new clutch, yes all the clutch, and shift drum and forks.

My KTM 2t s tend to go a little further on the top end are a breeze to work on, and I have yet to ride one long enough to have to change a clutch basket for wear. I have had to change one or two that had close encounters with obstacles.

The pricing for most parts are comparable, some things are cheaper on one side vs. the other. The old school thought of the KTM bike parts being much more expensive no longer holds water. You can pick a part that will be cheaper on a Jap bike vs. a Euro bike and I can find the opposite, however there are fewer CHEAP parts on the Euro bikes than the Jap bikes and I dont mean less expensive.

Top Bottom